• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternate Strange Tales 111 cover.

16 posts in this topic

They did that a few times. Almost all of the Wasp issues in Marvel Tales,

image.thumb.jpg.40944f63022b1bd5176b8332c2e89ff3.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.870aa2b22b53cc24d8bc332ba631fcab.jpg

and Doc issues in MCIC.
 Check this’n  

image.thumb.jpg.c8c851772f6fc9f1de904e56ace57c34.jpg

They even messed with The Hulk, and he was on that cover!

image.jpg

Edited by KirbyJack

One-time active board member Howard Hallis re-imagined a number of early Strange Tales covers featuring Ditko's Dr. Strange using interior story panels, sometimes with slight modifications/enhancements.  He also made some fabulous pin-up pages modified from the interior artwork as well.  His collection of re-worked Strange Tales covers and pin-up pages that should have been can be found here: http://www.howardhallis.com/doctorstrange/customs.html

Here's a terrific example:

image.png.2cc26243c0cb21b263b87d4db99b43e2.png

and these are all still Silver age books as well.  This is how I learned the covers of early books for me to try and collect later on.  Not every LCS had these books back in the early 80s

On 9/2/2024 at 9:25 AM, dpressim said:

and these are all still Silver age books as well.  This is how I learned the covers of early books for me to try and collect later on.  Not every LCS had these books back in the early 80s

They’re such a great deal. You can still find not-so-rough readers for under $5!

On 9/5/2024 at 7:17 PM, KirbyJack said:

There were new covers done for the title. I consider the “alternate” Kirby FF covers (left and middle) to be must-haves for collectors who share my Kirbifilia. 
IMG_2059.thumb.jpeg.1d78cb5ecb72c615a27592c33674a93e.jpeg

Do you have the new covers done for Marvel Double Action, too?

On 9/6/2024 at 10:44 AM, dick pontoon said:

Marvel had Triple Action, which mostly reprinted the Avengers, and Double Feature, which reprinted Tales of Suspense. I am not aware of a Marvel Double Action.

On 9/6/2024 at 1:55 PM, shadroch said:

Marvel had Triple Action, which mostly reprinted the Avengers, and Double Feature, which reprinted Tales of Suspense. I am not aware of a Marvel Double Action.

Slip of the tongue. Double Feature. Marvel Double Action, '70s reprint title for Tales of Suspense.

On 9/6/2024 at 11:08 AM, dick pontoon said:

Slip of the tongue. Double Feature. Marvel Double Action, '70s reprint title for Tales of Suspense.

You had me scrambling as I love those 70s reprints and thought there might be a title I missed. Super Action had Cap reprints, and another title had DD reprints.

On 9/6/2024 at 12:44 PM, dick pontoon said:

I don’t; but my particular sickness is Fantastic Four centric. I have the Kirby Cap run, tho!

I’ll have to check those out. 

Edited by KirbyJack

On 9/6/2024 at 2:23 PM, shadroch said:
On 9/6/2024 at 2:08 PM, dick pontoon said:

You had me scrambling as I love those 70s reprints and thought there might be a title I missed. Super Action had Cap reprints, and another title had DD reprints.

I did it again! In my response I typed Marvel Double Action instead of Marvel Double Feature. doh!

It only ran for 21 issues but about half of the covers were new with several other of the original TOS covers altered. Marvel Spectacular was the Thor reprints and Marvel Adventure was Daredevil, running a mere 4 issues.