• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

From the personal collection of John Romita Sr

3 posts in this topic

As with every HA Signature auction, I take a deeper dive into their OA offerings during the final week of proxy bidding, prior to the live auction.

Recent auctions have yielded OA from the collections of Roger Hill, Tom Palmer, Dave Mandel etc.

This auction, I came across two lots being offered from the personal collection of John Romita Sr, which I think is interesting because I'm always curious about who's artwork inspires other artists.  

Anyhow, these are the two lots from Romita Sr's personal collection, and they are great examples by legendary artists in the field.

Neal Adams Ben Casey Sunday Comic Strip Original Art dated 1-23-66 (NEA Syndicate, 1966). 

Link: Neal Adams Ben Casey Sunday Comic Strip Original Art dated 1-23-66 | Lot #94002 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Neal Adams Ben Casey Sunday Comic Strip Original Art dated 1-23-66 (NEA Syndicate, 1966).

Al Williamson Secret Agent Corrigan Consecutive Daily Comic Strip Original Art Group of 5 (King Features Syndicate, 1977). 

Link: Al Williamson Secret Agent Corrigan Consecutive Daily Comic Strip | Lot #94487 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Al Williamson Secret Agent Corrigan Consecutive Daily Comic Strip Original Art Group of 5 (K...

Pretty cool to see 5 consecutive dailies, with two of them being two panel strips.

Full disclosure: I have placed a bid on the Williamson lot.

On 9/9/2024 at 9:15 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

As with every HA Signature auction, I take a deeper dive into their OA offerings during the final week of proxy bidding, prior to the live auction.

Recent auctions have yielded OA from the collections of Roger Hill, Tom Palmer, Dave Mandel etc.

This auction, I came across two lots being offered from the personal collection of John Romita Sr, which I think is interesting because I'm always curious about who's artwork inspires other artists.  

Anyhow, these are the two lots from Romita Sr's personal collection, and they are great examples by legendary artists in the field.

Neal Adams Ben Casey Sunday Comic Strip Original Art dated 1-23-66 (NEA Syndicate, 1966). 

Link: Neal Adams Ben Casey Sunday Comic Strip Original Art dated 1-23-66 | Lot #94002 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Neal Adams Ben Casey Sunday Comic Strip Original Art dated 1-23-66 (NEA Syndicate, 1966).

Al Williamson Secret Agent Corrigan Consecutive Daily Comic Strip Original Art Group of 5 (King Features Syndicate, 1977). 

Link: Al Williamson Secret Agent Corrigan Consecutive Daily Comic Strip | Lot #94487 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Al Williamson Secret Agent Corrigan Consecutive Daily Comic Strip Original Art Group of 5 (K...

Pretty cool to see 5 consecutive dailies, with two of them being two panel strips.

Full disclosure: I have placed a bid on the Williamson lot.

Beautiful stuff! Williamson was an artist’s artist. I have a Corrigan strip from a couple years earlier, but inked by the late Marvel/DC inker Dan Green. I got it directly from Dan, so I asked him how it came to be as I thought Williamson mostly did the whole thing. Green said Williamson called him up and asked if he would ink a week of strips if Williamson drew a week ahead, so he could take a vacation. I can still picture Dan with a huge smile on his face, telling me: “I said, “Sure, I’ll ink for you, MY HERO Al Williamson!” 

On 9/9/2024 at 9:33 PM, Readcomix said:

Beautiful stuff! Williamson was an artist’s artist. I have a Corrigan strip from a couple years earlier, but inked by the late Marvel/DC inker Dan Green. I got it directly from Dan, so I asked him how it came to be as I thought Williamson mostly did the whole thing. Green said Williamson called him up and asked if he would ink a week of strips if Williamson drew a week ahead, so he could take a vacation. I can still picture Dan with a huge smile on his face, telling me: “I said, “Sure, I’ll ink for you, MY HERO Al Williamson!” 

Yeah, Al was the best!