• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics'
11 11

2,600 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2024 at 1:03 PM, Prince Namor said:

I could find no record of that. In fact, I showed otherwise. 

Correct, on typewriter paper affixed to the back of the art,

Dialog suggestions, I believe he called it. My favorite Ditko, ASM 26-27, was in his isolation period. To me, 26-27 was a high point easily surpassing 31-33. On the other hand, other than "decent" art and dialog, ASM 34-38 were probably the most underwhelming of the first 100. There really is no absolute with art. We know what we like. Still hoping to read the book. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

MEME BENDERS.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

On 10/19/2024 at 1:10 PM, Prince Namor said:

That's ALL human beings. 

LOL. If you think it's comparable, you are entitled to that.

But you can't force that opinion on me.

Body of evidence?

You have an interview and a one deposition where he says "Victor Fox" (not the only time he'd say that either) and you think that compares to the MOUNTAIN of evidence against Stan Lee as a LIAR????

p3uc2.jpg

The spoon-feeding going on here is incredible. You've done very impressive research with your book, and all that's happening is you're slowly having to surrender it, in a manner I don't think most would tolerate - partly because it's crass of anyone to demand or expect it, since it is available for purchase, and also for the time expenditure and tolerance you've shown - it really is commendable. Especially given the lack of capacity for some who clearly show an unwillingness to research things easily referenced online themselves, or having to actually relay to so-called "research" experts about Kirby's parody of Flashman and Houseroy - characters most with even a few years of collecting under their belt know about. 

Hat tip to you, fine sir!

Edited by comicwiz

On 10/20/2024 at 12:17 AM, comicwiz said:

The spoon-feeding going on here is incredible. You've done very impressive research with your book, and all that's happening is you're slowly having to surrender it, in a manner I don't think most would tolerate, so your tolerance really is commendable. Especially given the lack of capacity for some who clearly show an unwillingness to research things easily referenced online themselves, or having to actually relay to so-called "research" experts about Kirby's parody of Flashman and Houseroy - characters most with even a few years of collecting under their belt know about. 

Hat tip to you, fine sir!

Thank you.

It's all MY fault though, lol. 

On 10/19/2024 at 10:03 AM, Prince Namor said:

There are examples of him copying it. But according to some, Lee didn't want actual dialogue written in the margins.

I

If by “according to some” you mean “according to Ditko” we agree:

“…I gave Stan typewriting paper showing my rough ideas of what was being said in the story broken down into panels. Stan never wanted me to write any actual dialogue or names. That goes back to our 5 -page days. Writing, editing, dialogue, sound effects, captions, were all Stan’s division of labor at Marvel.”

— Steve Ditko, #45: Why I Quit S-M, Marvel, The Four-Page Series 9, September 2015

On 10/20/2024 at 12:25 AM, sfcityduck said:

If by “according to some” you mean “according to Ditko” we agree:

“…I gave Stan typewriting paper showing my rough ideas of what was being said in the story broken down into panels. Stan never wanted me to write any actual dialogue or names. That goes back to our 5 -page days. Writing, editing, dialogue, sound effects, captions, were all Stan’s division of labor at Marvel.”

— Steve Ditko, #45: Why I Quit S-M, Marvel, The Four-Page Series 9, September 2015

Can you show it in context please.

On 10/19/2024 at 10:03 AM, Prince Namor said:

I think he was speaking more of his 'to the fans' voice and 'to the media' voice...

Ditko said 'the fans loved Lee's dialogue'? Where'd he say that?

“Stan’s dialogue style of hero/villain wisecracking, undercut the conflict of hero, villain – but it worked with readers who just wanted to be entertained. I believe Stan loved writing those corny captions. It added to reading appeal but undercut a more serious growth of a teenager in an heroic role.”

— Steve Ditko, July 2016 letter to David Currie, Ditko Shrugged, David Currie, 2020  p 74 .

On 10/20/2024 at 12:29 AM, sfcityduck said:

“Stan’s dialogue style of hero/villain wisecracking, undercut the conflict of hero, villain – but it worked with readers who just wanted to be entertained. I believe Stan loved writing those corny captions. It added to reading appeal but undercut a more serious growth of a teenager in an heroic role.”

— Steve Ditko, July 2016 letter to David Currie, Ditko Shrugged, David Currie, 2020  p 74 .

That's STAN loved, not the 'fans' loved.

On 10/19/2024 at 10:27 AM, Prince Namor said:

Can you show it in context please.

Not now - time for me to put my father first. You’re lucky I’m saving you the trouble of reading the cheat sheet I linked above. Or is it you just don’t want to see the Ditko quotes which contradict you?

On 10/19/2024 at 10:30 AM, Prince Namor said:

That's STAN loved, not the 'fans' loved.

“It added to reading appeal”

”it worked with readers who just wanted to be entertained”

Ditko was willing to sacrifice audience appeal for his vision (which he was happy to do and did in works for which he had complete control like Mr. A).

On 10/19/2024 at 1:19 PM, Prince Namor said:
On 10/19/2024 at 1:14 PM, VintageComics said:

Julius' business structure wasn't the Marvel method. Stan's business structure was the Marvel method.

The Marvel Method is just a fancy name for "I'm stealing the credit AND pay."

Ah, well now we've finally gotten to what I think has been the heart of the matter. 

Glad it only took 121 pages. lol

So it sounds to me like you've concluded and are basically saying that "the Marvel Method" is nothing more than a ploy for Stan to steal credit from creators. 

Is that correct?

Edited by VintageComics

On 10/20/2024 at 12:34 AM, sfcityduck said:

Not now - time for me to put my father first. You’re lucky I’m saving you the trouble of reading the cheat sheet I linked above. Or is it you just don’t want to see the Ditko quotes which contradict you?

Contradict ME? They contradict Ditko.

YOU said, he said that he didn't provide dialogue 

On 10/18/2024 at 9:49 AM,  sfcityduck said:

Ditko has written that he did not provide dialogue to Stan.

I showed you where he said he DID.

DITKO is the one contradicted. 

On 10/20/2024 at 12:38 AM, sfcityduck said:

“It added to reading appeal”

”it worked with readers who just wanted to be entertained”

Ditko was willing to sacrifice audience appeal for his vision (which he was happy to do and did in works for which he had complete control like Mr. A).

Which wasn't what we were discussing.

On 10/20/2024 at 12:38 AM, VintageComics said:

Ah, well now we've finally gotten to what I think has been the heart of the matter. 

Glad it only took 121 pages. lol

So it sounds to me like you've concluded and are basically saying that "the Marvel Method" is nothing more than a ploy for Stan to steal credit from creators. 

Is that correct?

LOL

On 10/19/2024 at 10:41 AM, Prince Namor said:

Which wasn't what we were discussing.

Yes it was. Ditko acknowledged the readers enjoyed and were more entertained by Stan’s tone than the tone Ditko would have preferred, Which is very strong evidence that Stan was doing the dialogue for the books despite whatever was in Ditko’s “very rough” notes.

Honestly, we aren’t talking about weeds here. You can give an inch. The refusal to accept what is in front of you is not credibility enhancing.

On 10/19/2024 at 10:40 AM, Prince Namor said:

Contradict ME? They contradict Ditko.

YOU said, he said that he didn't provide dialogue 

On 10/18/2024 at 9:49 AM,  sfcityduck said:

Ditko has written that he did not provide dialogue to Stan.

I showed you where he said he DID.

DITKO is the one contradicted. 

Ditko provided rough notes Nd Stan did the dialogue - in a way that Ditko did not approve of.