• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics'
11 11

2,600 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2024 at 1:49 PM, Zonker said:

Google "Marvel Method" "kickback scheme" There is a whole cottage industry devoted to making that claim. It's not a hidden agenda, instead a very common opinion among Stan's critics.  

Ah, so there's an entire cult devoted to this.

I genuinely had no idea but could feel it's presence the entire time. lol

Well I certainly hope they're better at presenting their arguments than the OP is, because all I see is a few disgruntled, emotional people, a bunch of poorly formed arguments and blind faith to bridge gaps based on an unreasonable dislike of a historic figure. 

After 120 pages what is clear is that some people care more about what Stan said than what they say themselves.

I've dealt with this my entire life with my religious background and even had to confront myself about it growing up. No amount of facts change anyone's mind if they're not actually OPEN to discussion.

And people who HAVE had their minds changed, who have genuinely switched sides or changed their beliefs, have a very different take on life, realizing that they struggled with their decisions and so they actually enable people's questions and discussion. They don't lead with the cart, they let the horse lead. 

This discussion has felt like a no-go from the beginning. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 10/19/2024 at 2:15 PM, sfcityduck said:

Ditko provided rough notes Nd Stan did the dialogue - in a way that Ditko did not approve of.

Imagine, if you will, a World where opinion and hypothesis become real, a world where Steve Ditko goes over Stan Lee's head, and complains to Martin Goodman about Mo' Money, a World where Lee then suspends interaction with Ditko, hoping he will quit, which he does. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Rod-Serling-Twlight-Zone-classic.jpg

On 10/19/2024 at 9:34 AM, Prince Namor said:

Prove Ditko 'wanted' the meetings.

I am going to satisfy your need for immediate gratification and my scheduling needs. Read the compiled quotes by Ditko about why heft Marvel. Ditko not only harps over and over about Stan not meeting with him, he also effectively states it was what caused him to make the decision. Here they are:

https://comicbookhistorians.com/the-ditko-version-exploring-steve-ditkos-recollections-of-marvel-in-the-1960s-by-rosco-m-copyright-rosco-m-2023/

On 10/19/2024 at 2:43 PM, EastEnd1 said:

So has anyone's mind been changed yet?

No minds were harmed during this production. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friiend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 10/19/2024 at 2:37 PM, Zonker said:

Just for the record, I think the plot-first / pencils-next / dialogue-followed-by-inking is a perfectly valid way of producing comics, provided everyone understands and agrees to their roles, and the compensation due those roles. (thumbsu

It certainly outlived Stan's time as a regular contributor to comics, even over at DC, which had traditionally been about as full-script / writer-centric as possible. 

Archie Goodwin talking about the Manhunter strip that ran in Detective Comics #437-443

George Perez as co-plotter for JLA & New Teen Titans

Levitz & Giffen collaborating on the Legion

Howie Chaykin subcontracting out dialogue to Denny O'Neil (also the book's editor.... hm)

It's only natural that as readers evolved that creators evolved in order to continue to exceed reader's expectations. 

Full script, writer-centric comics have their limitations. Wooden. Disconnected. 

The "Marvel Method" was inevitable. Stan just got there first. It allows for a more intricate relationship between script / visual therefore allowing for a better reading experience. 

Whether the monies were taken advantage of later or not is a completely different discussion. 

Saying the "Marvel Method" was a theft scheme from the start, as is the premise if this thread, you would have to dismiss how successful the comics were BECAUSE of the method...and this is exactly why the OP attacks and undermines the success of Marvel consistently with such zeal throughout the entire discussion. If the books actually WERE successful, and they were, then this would support the Marvel Method as a successful means of comic book production. 

That's why all or MOST of the success has to be due to Kirby, for the premise to stand. 

And this in turn explains why Stan can't receive ANY credit, or must receive such a small percentage of the credit that it's irrelevant, because if Stan is in any way responsible for Marvel's success, it undermines the fundamental premise to this entire argument that the Marvel Method was a ploy to steal money.

As goes with all belief systems, I'm sure that would I read up on it, these arguments would be consistently slanted in such a manner throughout the entire belief system.  

I love the free market of ideas. Their entanglement allows you to uncover all the angles and really get to the heart of a matter. 

Glad we got all that straightened out. :wink:

Edited by VintageComics

On 10/19/2024 at 3:09 PM, Zonker said:

Would you swear to that under oath?  :baiting:

Actually, truth be told, we're still trying to verify that any actual minds are even involved. It's a much thornier theorem than it would seem. GOD BLESS ... 

-jiimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 10/19/2024 at 3:19 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

979p1y.jpg

979ovu.jpg

Goodwin, too, was blessed to be surrounded by especially creative and talented craftsmen.

Zeitgeist, to me, is the tangible intangible ... often identified in retrospect, if at all. Manhunter was so refreshing, albeit abrupt. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 10/20/2024 at 1:13 AM, sfcityduck said:

Yes it was. Ditko acknowledged the readers enjoyed and were more entertained by Stan’s tone than the tone Ditko would have preferred, Which is very strong evidence that Stan was doing the dialogue for the books despite whatever was in Ditko’s “very rough” notes.

Honestly, we aren’t talking about weeds here. You can give an inch. The refusal to accept what is in front of you is not credibility enhancing.

I questioned Lee doing the dialogue? Where do you get that?

On 10/20/2024 at 1:17 AM, VintageComics said:

Ah, so there's an entire cult devoted to this.

I genuinely had no idea but could feel it's presence the entire time. lol

Well I certainly hope they're better at presenting their arguments than the OP is, because all I see is a few disgruntled, emotional people, a bunch of poorly formed arguments and blind faith to bridge gaps based on an unreasonable dislike of a historic figure. 

After 120 pages what is clear is that some people care more about what Stan said than what they say themselves.

I've dealt with this my entire life with my religious background and even had to confront myself about it growing up. No amount of facts change anyone's mind if they're not actually OPEN to discussion.

And people who HAVE had their minds changed, who have genuinely switched sides or changed their beliefs, have a very different take on life, realizing that they struggled with their decisions and so they actually enable people's questions and discussion. They don't lead with the cart, they let the horse lead. 

This discussion has felt like a no-go from the beginning. 

And yet you've refuted not a single one of my points.

On 10/20/2024 at 1:24 AM, sfcityduck said:

I am going to satisfy your need for immediate gratification and my scheduling needs. Read the compiled quotes by Ditko about why heft Marvel. Ditko not only harps over and over about Stan not meeting with him, he also effectively states it was what caused him to make the decision. Here they are:

https://comicbookhistorians.com/the-ditko-version-exploring-steve-ditkos-recollections-of-marvel-in-the-1960s-by-rosco-m-copyright-rosco-m-2023/

Sorry. Not what I got.