• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics'
11 11

2,600 posts in this topic

Has anyone else noticed the not-so-subtle redesign of the cover for the Deluxe edition. Apart from the Torch looking odd, Stan now wears a suit. And there are now four hands rather than two. Doesn't that signify that everyone is well aware that the artists also played a significant role in the creation of the Marvel Universe???

or.thumb.webp.9482b17e1d757199d9caa909e0a4a58e.webp

deluxe.thumb.jpg.509cf3160278c266e5c7518cc5ea98bb.jpg

On 10/21/2024 at 6:50 PM, themagicrobot said:

Has anyone else noticed the not-so-subtle redesign of the cover for the Deluxe edition. Apart from the Torch looking odd, Stan now wears a suit. And there are now four hands rather than two. Doesn't that signify that everyone is well aware that the artists also played a significant role in the creation of the Marvel Universe???

Yep. Not even Stan can be writing and drawing at the same time.

This guy could, though.

comicasm3.jpg

On 10/21/2024 at 12:08 PM, jimjum12 said:

...and don't mss!

GOD BLESS ...

-jmbo(a frend of jesus)(thumbsu

20 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard. 2 He agreed to pay them a denarius[a] for the day and sent them into his vineyard.

3 “About nine in the morning he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing. 4 He told them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.’ 5 So they went.

“He went out again about noon and about three in the afternoon and did the same thing. 6 About five in the afternoon he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, ‘Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?’

7 “‘Because no one has hired us,’ they answered.

“He said to them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard.’

8 “When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, ‘Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.’

9 “The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius. 10 So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. 11 When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 12 ‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’

13 “But he answered one of them, ‘I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius? 14 Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you. 15 Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’

16 “So the last will be first, and the first will be last.”

a woman hired me to do some work for her once.  Later I learned she hired others, and paid us different amounts!  When I went back to her and said that not fair, she quoted  this parable to me.  Ive never forgotten it, and how absurd the logic is.  So much for equal pay for equal work!  

say, whatever happened with this Jesus guy?  He til in business or what?  : )

Edited by Aman619

On 10/21/2024 at 1:50 PM, themagicrobot said:

good point, they added the creative Input from artists.... but, you know, the inspirational glow is STILL coming from the typewriter!  so it fits the slightly revised narrative...  maybe there will be other slight revisions inside too, as you say

On 10/21/2024 at 8:09 PM, Aman619 said:

a woman hired me to do some work for her once.  Later I learned she hired others, and paid us different amounts!  When I went back to her and said that not fair, she quoted to me this arable.  Ive never forgotten it, and how absurd the logic is.  So much for equal pay for equal work!  

The meaning of it is that if you do the Lord's work on earth, you will get through the pearly gates, no matter how late you took up the task, and get the same reward as those who have endured a lifetime of self-denial.

The moral is obvious - live your life to the full, wine, women and song, or whatever else takes your fancy. Then repent on your deathbed, get in just under the wire.

Alternatively, as Thor's devotees would confirm, it is a worthy thing to spend your life bringing havoc and mayhem to your foes on the battlefield, and be taken into Valhalla by the shieldmaidens of Odin.

Jack's research would have delved deep into this, but Stan only latched onto it in, oh about August 1962 at a guess..

Cribbed from Wikipedia:

Valkyrie, in Norse mythology, any of a group of maidens who served the god Odin and were sent by him to the battlefields to choose the slain who were worthy of a place in Valhalla. These foreboders of war rode to the battlefield on horses, wearing helmets and shields; in some accounts, they flew through the air and sea. Some Valkyries had the power to cause the death of the warriors they did not favour; others, especially heroine Valkyries, guarded the lives and ships of those dear to them. Old Norse literature made references to purely supernatural Valkyries and also to human Valkyries with certain supernatural powers. Both types of beings were associated with fairness, brightness, and gold, as well as bloodshed.

On 10/21/2024 at 10:50 AM, themagicrobot said:

outstanding detective work........

Edited by Mmehdy

On 10/21/2024 at 3:09 PM, Aman619 said:

a woman hired me to do some work for her once.  Later I learned she hired others, and paid us different amounts!  When I went back to her and said that not fair, she quoted  this parable to me.  Ive never forgotten it, and how absurd the logic is.  So much for equal pay for equal work!  

say, whatever happened with this Jesus guy?  He til in business or what?  : )

I still work for him. :bigsmile: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 10/21/2024 at 10:50 AM, themagicrobot said:

Ah ha! Just kidding, good pick up.

On 10/21/2024 at 5:20 PM, Prince Namor said:

Back in the day, yes. I miss the old time shops.

Judy worked there in the mid to late 70's. She was a classic hippy gal back then. GOD BLESS ... 

On 10/21/2024 at 5:17 PM, namisgr said:

same can be said of the Hulk, who was grounded for the first couple of issues and then began what for all intents and purposes was 'flying', by taking superhero powered massive jumps from one place to the next and to whatever height and/or distance he wanted, within limits.

Nothing more than a Golden Age Superman copyist.

On 10/21/2024 at 5:28 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Nothing more than a Golden Age Superman copyist.

An original idea would shatter their fragile minds. GOD BLESS ...