• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will DC catch the train a day?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

what do you think on the delay DC have on Marvel, could it be corrected a day or not? 

In the early 60s Marvel came out with all these new series featuring astonishing charachters and everyone were amazed... 

But look on the side of DC, many GA charachters made their come back 10 years after or so in a totally new iteration like Green Lantern or Flash, we also got a modern version of the JSA, the JLA, the mightiest super heroes team in the world!

So many of the books are still so affordable when you comparate it to the Marvels.

JLA 1, Green Lantern 1, Flash 105. 

Hawkman, Atom, Aquaman, all got their own titles and their first issues are still totally unvaluable...

Most of the books I quoted are not the first app of the charachters but they are the beginning of a brand new serie so it's still have a significant impact and anyway most of the first app aren't much better except for showcase 4 or 22.

What's interesting is, the perception is that spidey, FF, Hulk,  Avengers and Xmen set the world on fire and outsold DC. 

The truth is,  they didn't. It took marvel nearly a decade to catch up with DC.  

But from a value standpoint, SA marvel has greatly out paced DC for decades. And the truth is,  I don't expect that to change for several reasons. 

1) the major first appearances for DC largely happened in the GA. 

2) SA Marvel is generally viewed as more "adult" than SA DC 

3) people largely connect with with comics through movies and TVs. - and marvel has more popular movies. 

I just don't see the gap closing. Even the mega key SA DCs aren't true first appearances. 

I love DC, obviously... but the fact remains that Marvel shot ahead in the late 60s and DC has been playing catch up ever since. Personally, I love the fact that the prices are lower for key Silver DC. I have been wondering since the early 80s if this trend would ever change. One curious fact about collecting Silver DC and Marvel , there are far fewer DC from this era in high grade.

If you are DC Golden and Silver age collector and huge fan, consider yourself lucky that you can swipe those first appearances for good value.  The DC train left a long time ago though on films and growing fandom.  Agree with all the comments above. There are no more new cool characters to bring to the big screen that we haven't seen already for 50 years.  I don't know how they will reboot the DC universe to bring in new fans. The last few movies were forced and retreads (Black Adam, Capt. Marvel, the last BatMan)... I've always been a marvel fan since the 70's but still watched every hero movie that came out since I love the genre.  None of those movies inspired me to buy DC books though on HA or local shows.  They need to get lucky along the way like Deadpool did.  They took a chance and it was what adults collectors wanted.  

Oddly, for a diehard Marvel fan, I have found several DC TV series to be generally far better than the Marvel TV series I've seen. But in terms of comic books, Marvel came out of the blocks fast and DC were left floundering with rejuvenated GA characters who were never, ever going to be as hip as the characters Marvel created.

SA Marvel artwork was generally better than DC's, which was often old fashioned somehow. Compare a 1968 Marvel to a 1968 DC and the DC has the vibe of a book from 10 years earlier. The house style at DC was always starchy compared to Stan's hip 'n' happening informal style. 

So, no I don't think DC will catch up anytime soon. 

(Good subject for a poll.) (thumbsu

Edited by LowGradeBronze