• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Time Grader with Video - CGC Experiment
1 1

2 posts in this topic

Hello all,

So i'm very unbiased in the CGC vs PSA debate. But I do lean towards CGC more due to many factors, clarity on slabs, better feel, consistent grading, fair grading, no gatekeeping, more cost effective, etc..

Recently I submitted a 27 card submission (All Pokemon) that I am waiting to be processed. I actually had a discussion on a large whatnot's stream with over 250+ people on the live on why CGC will overtake PSA in TCG (Pokemon) submission within 2 years. I stated my case, and I reiterated that I am unbiased and objectively speaking on the topic. This is personal preference of course, but if you look at metrics from 2022 and beyond, PSA has been losing market share in the TCG Pokemon space. 

For context, in 2023 PSA graded almost 70% (I think it was 67%) and CGC 33% (This is just data between the 2, I am leaving out other companies) of Pokemon cards. The most recent data I can currently fine was for June 2024 and the # that PSA graded was far less, 55% compared to 45% from CGC. This clearly shows growth on scale with submission and confidence. 

So this leaves the reason for this thread.. I am a new grader, so I wanted to embark on a mission to showcase the difference between the 2 at my expense. I did just recently submit 27 cards, and have 30 cards in front of me that will be submitted sometime this week as well. I do expect good grades from CGC, and if that holds true, I will not crack. But any cards I feel were too harshly graded will be cracked open, resubmitted to PSA and compared. I will provide a video on the recent batch of 30 cards that have not yet been submitted with my opinion on what grades they will receive. I will compare to what it comes back with and if cracked open, what PSA graded it. This will be my baseline to check consistency with both companies. I will not crack if grades are more than fair though since these are my personal cards. 

This will obviously be a multiple part series, so stay tuned :)

Link to the youtube video here: 

Thank you,

Hello GalaxiMew,

Sounds like a fun little project you have on your hands there.  Figured I could provide some information on my experiences to help in your analysis.  I use to strictly grade with PSA until CSG/CGC came about.  I pretty much have switched for the various reasons you stated in the opening paragraph of your thread.  I have over 700 cards in my CGC registry inventory and from what I have witnessed with the cards that were cracked out of PSA cases and submitted to CGC is that the grade received has been within .5 in either direction.  Sometimes an 8.5 becomes a 9 and sometimes an 8.  The majority of times I receive the same grade. There has been the very limited occurrence of a grade no where near the original but I have attributed that to either the card receiving slight corner damage from being cracked out of the slab or receiving a much better grade because the surface just need a gentle wipe before submittal.  I can honestly say I have not experimented the opposite direction (CGC to PSA); but, I have heard from fellow collectors who scoop up lower priced CGC slabbed cards to send to PSA to flip for profit that they typically receive equal or better grades indicating that CGC grading is possibly harder.

Well, I hope that helps in some way. Looking forward to your videos!

TwoYewts