• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mark through bar code and affect on book condition
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hey all.  I have a collection that is partially mine and partially my former uncles.
when i was going through some of the books from my uncle I noticed a fair amount that had a black slash through the bar code.

How badly does this affect the grade of the book?

20240923_160041[1].jpg

20240923_160142[1].jpg

20240923_160046[1].jpg

A good question, and a common one among collectors who weren’t around at the time.

That slash was printed on the book and will not affect the grade at all.  

The backstory:

Comics that were printed without the slash were sold through the traditional newsstand system.  Newsstand sellers could return unsold comics to their distributor for credit.

Comics that were printed with a slash on them could not be returned for credit.  A comic book printed with a slash was typically sold through a comic book store or in a discounted multi pack.  Comic book stores could not return their unsold issues, but they would make a higher profit from each issue that sold.

A good question, and a common one among collectors who weren’t around at the time.

That slash was printed on the book and will not affect the grade at all.  

The backstory:

Comics that were printed without the slash were sold through the traditional newsstand system.  Newsstand sellers could return unsold comics to their distributor for credit.

Comics that were printed with a slash on them could not be returned for credit.  A comic book printed with a slash was typically sold through a comic book store or in a discounted multi pack.  Comic book stores could not return their unsold issues, but they would make a higher profit from each issue that sold.