• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 3
1 1

25 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2024 at 8:17 AM, Point Five said:

I would have said Apparent 4.5 too. I guess I get the logic as laid out by Bo but it still feels like this book got hammered. It seems to defy the intuitive meaning of "Apparent" because clearly the book now looks like a VG and not a Good.

Why should anyone ever get ANY restored book graded if the Apparent grade doesn't mean anything?  

And if they're being consistant, shouldn't an "extreme" resto book always come back as a .5 even if it looks nice.

On 10/14/2024 at 11:17 PM, gadzukes said:

Why should anyone ever get ANY restored book graded if the Apparent grade doesn't mean anything?  

I guess the distinction I'm making is a question for CGC.

Obviously, things wrong on the inside of the book affect the grade.

If I took a qualified 8.5 copy (eg missing a value stamp) with cover color touch, and i scribbled in ink on all of the pages with wavy lines, and closed it, would it be an apparent 8.5, because it's in a slab, or an apparent much lower grade?

My guess is, it would be an apparent "much lower grade".

That's why I'm asking is there something on the inside that made them say 2.0.

Edited by sledgehammer

On 10/15/2024 at 6:35 AM, sledgehammer said:

If I took a qualified 8.5 copy (eg missing a value stamp) with cover color touch, and i scribbled in ink on all of the pages with wavy lines, and closed it, would it be an apparent 8.5, because it's in a slab, or an apparent much lower grade?

Right, that’s a great analogy. Another relevant one (I think?) is a nice-looking book with a split and retaped front cover. CGC will hammer the grade for the structural problem — it will be below 2.0 no matter how nice it presents. Or a cover with a stripped and replaced logo — same thing.

As others have said, the Restored label on the ASM #3 is likely due solely to the color touch, and is throwing us all a bit.

On 10/15/2024 at 6:35 AM, sledgehammer said:

The inside pages were fantastic.

The large married piece might have had slightly darker whites on the inside cover, but nothing egregious.  It was a married piece archivally taped neatly into place instead of leafcasted into place.  And speaking of leaf casting...... if this piece was leafcasted into place would it have had the same 2.0 grade? I wonder.

On 10/15/2024 at 7:32 AM, gadzukes said:

if this piece was leafcasted into place would it have had the same 2.0 grade? I wonder.

No, an apparent grade much higher. 2c