• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-men 137, cgc 9.9, wp

54 posts in this topic

Joe,

I think this goes back to a question of valuation. If you are trying to take a statistic here to show the rarity of 9.9s being graded, then I suppose the big point made is that 9.9s are rare. Ok. So? Does that mean that paying 5-10x more than what a 9.8 would go for is worth it? If it is to you, go for it. But the X-Men from this era are so plentiful, the point is you can get ultra high grade (relatively easily) and most people are not striving for 9.9s. They would rather own more of the books than worry about owning one 9.9 -- and they might not all have your financial resources. So -- the bottom line is this -- I think you are getting resistance on this because this is an issue where there is little prestige held for a 9.9 -- regardless of how long it would take to put the set together.

Thats roughly 1 in 7000 that graded 9.9 So every issue, to follow the percentages, would have to have 7000 issues graded to get ONE 9.9 That would be, what?, 48 issues (94 to 141) multiply by 7000= 330,000 issues graded. What would be the chances of anyone completing a run of #94 to 141 in 9.9 grade? If cgc has graded roughly 20,800 X-Men (numbers 94-141 only), in 5 years, then at the rate it is going, time wise, it would take another 74 years or so to grade enough issues to get ONE 9.9 for every issue, if percentages hold up.

Thats roughly 1 in 7000 that graded 9.9 So every issue, to follow the percentages, would have to have 7000 issues graded to get ONE 9.9 That would be, what?, 48 issues (94 to 141) multiply by 7000= 330,000 issues graded. What would be the chances of anyone completing a run of #94 to 141 in 9.9 grade? If cgc has graded roughly 20,800 X-Men (numbers 94-141 only), in 5 years, then at the rate it is going, time wise, it would take another 74 years or so to grade enough issues to get ONE 9.9 for every issue, if percentages hold up.

The proven examples of CGC scattershot grading when it comes to comics in 9.6/9.8/9.9 grades demonstrates the folly of paying premiums for such issues. Especially this one...which is extremely common in high grade...

Jim

Hello Follkiller. Well, who knows? The 9.9's almost never come to market, and arguments of cgc grading aside, I belive if the #137 cgc 9.9 did come up, it would go in the low to mid 2k range. It is not scarce, but actually rare, and I am sure that if marketed correctly, someone, it might take some time, but someone might even pay in the high two's. There may be some that would rather own 3-4 9.8's then one 9.9, but there would also be others that would rather own one 9.9. It seems to me the points being made are more issues of trade off, then one of demand. Anyway, at least I got an idea from some very knowledgeable, discerning collectors. Thanks everyone for the help. By the way foolkiller, I would call you by your first name, but I don't know it.

Joe --

My name is Brian Ketterer. I'm glad you've come over to the boards -- you used to be a dealer (at least part time) right? I remember seeing your website a few years ago as it was one of the ones linked to Bob Storms'. I'm not sure if you still come to shows etc., but you are certainly one of the collectors names I recognize. As in, if Joe Serpico wants the book, he usually gets it no matter what (a Geppi like status).

At any rate, welcome to the boards... I think you probably have a great deal to contribute... assuming of course you are THAT Joe Serpico -- 27_laughing.gif.

Thats roughly 1 in 7000 that graded 9.9 So every issue, to follow the percentages, would have to have 7000 issues graded to get ONE 9.9

That's the key to graded collectibles, creating a gap between the grades, that only gets greater as you move up the scale.

With an ultra common book like X-Men 137, there could potentially be hundreds of CGC 9.9-level copies, but the vast majority will receive CGC 9.8 grades.

There are those who would pay "to own the best". Most would not care about the difference from a 9.8, to a 9.9, as you stated, but some collectors, enough to make a market, would pursue the best book.

It's only three peoples opinion of 'the best'. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif