• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie asking questions here. hope it is ok

13 posts in this topic

This is a list of the comics I have. I may have left out a few.. Anyway, about this Grading thing. Do I have to pay a company to have them graded? Also, would they be worth anything? My husband put them in plastic about 15 + years ago, before that they were in desk drawers.

Marvel Comics

Captain America # 106,108,116,120,121,131,134,135,136,160,161,167,170,171

Amazing Spiderman # 90,100,106,111,116

Fantastic Four #43,82,97

Avengers # 16,94,105,109,120,121

The Incredible Hulk # 158,160

Thor # 226

X-Men # 72

Iron Man # 2

Marvel Tales # 38

Amazing Adventures / in humans # 1,2,5

Sub Mariner # 60

Marvel Super heroes # 41

DC Comics

Super girl # 8

Green Lantern # 63

Mister Miracle # 14

Aqua man # 40

Superman # 252,263,269

Batman # 214

Giant Justice League of America # 93

Justice League of America # 94

Action Comics # 378,399,416

Adventure comics presents Super Girl # 398,399

Super Boy starring the legion of super heroes # 199

Super Mans Girl friend Lois Lane # 112

Super Mans Pal Jimmy Olsen # 162

Shazam # 3

The Hawk and the Dove # 3

Nick Fury agent of S.H.I.E.L.D # 7

Legion Of Super Heroes # 2

Black Hawk # 241

Flash # 204

Captain Atom # 88

Worlds Finest presents Super Man and the Flash #199

If they are anything like the Hawk & Dove in the other thread, then I would say that you absolutely should not send them to be graded. You would be spending more money than they are worth.

If you plan on selling any of your books, make sure you get use of a scanner and make large clear scans of your books (front and back) to be sold. Regardless of you feel about your books, a scan will give potential buyers a better idea of what the book is like.

A lot of these books are worth slabbing if they're in the 9.0 range. Anything less, it's really not worth it. If most of the books were left in a desk drawer, they might have some creases and bends that could knock the grade down. If you have a scanner, post some picks in the grading forum, and we should be able to assess their condition.

By the way, welcome to the boards. thumbsup2.gif

Anna, go to the Library and borrow a copy of the OVERSTREET Comic Price Guide...the Latest Year, 35th edition if they have it, or take an earlier issue.....READ Carefully the "grading" section.....grade them based on this information, and Undergrade them ( Not sure if it is a "Fine", then call it a Very Good instead, NOT sure if it is Near Mint, then call it a Very Fine)...start them on eBay for a quarter each, and as much detail as you can give on grading, and you should do "Ok".

These are your most lucrative Marvels:

Amazing Spiderman #100

Fantastic Four #43

Avengers # 16, 94

X-Men # 72

Iron Man # 2

They will easily sell in any grade. I can't speak to the DC's off the top of my head . . . grin.gif

You can also describe the condition of the books to us. That should give us a hint, if scanning is a problem. For instance, if you compared the FF 43 to a brand new comic book just purchased from your comic shop, what differences do you notice. Does the book have scraches, bent corners, rough edges, wear along the spine, perhaps some light water stains on the back cover, rolled up spine, tears, etc.? If some of these faults are evident, then it's better to try and sell them raw on Ebay as someone suggested. If the books look pristine and have very minor faults, then professional grading may be an option.

I'll scan those shortly, but for some reason I can't post scans. Should I take them out of the plastic to scan?
For the condition of the books you have, you should take them out of the plastic to scan.

I'll scan those shortly, but for some reason I can't post scans. Should I take them out of the plastic to scan?

Your scans are too big (1.5Mb) You need to compress them . . .