• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the latest on the CGC Purple vs. Blue Label For Restored Books?

82 posts in this topic

The entire CGC label system was "forced" upon the industry, so what is the big deal if they tweak their system a bit? I know that many collectors "resented" the CGC system being "forced" upon the hobby back in 1999-2000, but that "resentment" doesn't seem to have harmed CGC's business too much now has it? Regardless, the reason I, as a collector, like the new restoration rating system is because it makes it easier to understand what has been done to the book. This is similar to the 10-point restoration rating scale that Jon Berk suggested long ago in CBG or CBM (wherever his article was). In other words, the framework for the rating scale came from one of the more famous COLLECTORS in the industry, not from a cabal of dealers.

Just for the record, since I was very vocally against the changes as laid out initially, I see no problem with the additional resto notations on purple labels. More info is better than none in my opinion...on any slab regardless of color...

I'm surprised they threw the whole idea out after nixing the resto blue label. I'm very curious why it was a "all or none" proposition...

Was having a resto blue label more important than providing additional info for the resto collectors?

Jim

Don't know, Jim. While I've never been a big fan of the "scarlet letter" purple label, I think the new restoration rating system would have been a good thing even if the purple label were retained.

FYI.....We are still going ahead with the new rating system, we are just not getting rid of the purple label. Just going through all the programming issues Christo_pull_hair.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Jim

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

seriously glad to hear this. also glad that CGC is keeping the purple label, since it invalidates all of Scott's arguments against same cloud9.gif

The entire CGC label system was "forced" upon the industry, so what is the big deal if they tweak their system a bit? I know that many collectors "resented" the CGC system being "forced" upon the hobby back in 1999-2000, but that "resentment" doesn't seem to have harmed CGC's business too much now has it? Regardless, the reason I, as a collector, like the new restoration rating system is because it makes it easier to understand what has been done to the book. This is similar to the 10-point restoration rating scale that Jon Berk suggested long ago in CBG or CBM (wherever his article was). In other words, the framework for the rating scale came from one of the more famous COLLECTORS in the industry, not from a cabal of dealers.

Just for the record, since I was very vocally against the changes as laid out initially, I see no problem with the additional resto notations on purple labels. More info is better than none in my opinion...on any slab regardless of color...

I'm surprised they threw the whole idea out after nixing the resto blue label. I'm very curious why it was a "all or none" proposition...

Was having a resto blue label more important than providing additional info for the resto collectors?

Jim

Don't know, Jim. While I've never been a big fan of the "scarlet letter" purple label, I think the new restoration rating system would have been a good thing even if the purple label were retained.

FYI.....We are still going ahead with the new rating system,

cloud9.gif

we are just not getting rid of the purple label.

Wimps. poke2.gif