• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are there any VALIANT'S worth grading if over 9.4

16 posts in this topic

Thought I'd ask this question since this group oof comics were so hot then went so cold tonofbricks.gif. I got in late and have a number of the early ones plus lots of the later ones. confused.gif

Just wondering confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks

WEBHEAD

The usual suspects Rai 1, 3,4 , Magnus 1, 15 , Solar 10, X-o manofwar chrome variant cover.

Magnus 12('First' Turok)

juzfvl.jpg

I'm sure "valiantman" would have a few more to add. I know some of the later issue are actually harder to get since the fervor died down by then, as well as newstand variants

Mike

Rai 3 and 4, Magnus 0 and maybe 12 (although there are a boatload of these in 9.8 already), Harbinger 1 is tough in 9.8 and worth several hundred at least in that grade, Harbinger 0 pink variant not bad either in 9.8, Unity 0 red logo in 9.8 is $200+, Chaos Effect Alpha red cover variant in 9.8 is a big one too (although in NM raw it gets close to $100 on ebay already), The Predator Vs. Magnus tpb from Dark Horse would also be a nice find in 9.6 or 9.8 (as of right now there is only one 9.6 on the census and it just made an appearance on ebay for a $500 opening bid with no takers on the last 10-cent listing day). The problem is the values drop off the table if it comes back 9.4 for many of the other books that are known as pre-Unity books, and even in 9.6 most of the pre-Unitys are hardly worth the outlay in having them graded.

Here are the "most wanted" Valiant books... (unslabbed)

For consideration of CGC grading, obviously those closer to 9.8 would be better.

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/mostwanted.asp

Here are average prices seen on Ebay for CGC graded Valiants (including shipping prices paid):

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/cgcsales.asp

...and here's a price guide for unslabbed Valiant issues...

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/guide.asp

Assuming you have Valiant books worth over $5 "raw",

then it would probably be a good idea to pre-screen for 9.6, if not 9.8.

...and despite the numbers on the CGC census, the following books are

NOT worth sending in to CGC, regardless of how pristine your copies may be:

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/top15unwanted.asp

These books are so common, a nickel will probably buy a copy in many shops.

CGC grading is extreme overkill on the common issues (1993, usually).

If anyone would like to have a quick reference for help when digging through back issue bins,

here's a printable price guide for the Valiant 1991-1996 issues:

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/guideshort.asp

(Prices reflect normal Ebay average individual issue sales including shipping costs.)

Oooooh Ooooh, a CGC Valiant thread! I'll try to add some new information - which will be hard with all the good replies above.

Good way to figure out the answer to you question is to do a search of completed items for like "Valiant CGC". Then turn off the "complete" flag and take a look at the store listings to see what is sitting. This will give you a good idea of what is going on presently. I think I have the biggest batch sitting as store listings right now.

What you probably should not do, unless you are extremely confident in your CGC-modern grading skills, is send them in to be graded without a pre-screen. 9.2s and 9.4s are not too useful to have right now (very few exceptions), and chances are high you will get hit with one. In about 500 Valiants sent to CGC for screening, my hit rate is well under 50% on 9.8s and a good bit over on 9.6s.

Do I suck at grading these? Clearly, but you'd think I'd have some clue with all that experience.

You can also search the forum for other useful discussions on why some of the books are harder to get in high grade than others.

And then you can go look at my registry set here. smile.gif

And all Valiant pre-unity sets here.

My honest advice at the moment is to keep your Valiants the way they are and hope the new owners get something going before considering grading, selling, or buying them. I sense a serious holding pattern at the moment. I have been toying with starting up buying raw copies again and cannot bring myself to do it. On the other hand, I am not anxious at all to sell the slabs I do have for sale.

What about Rai 0? confused-smiley-013.gif

I've had good luck in the past on getting 9.8s on Rai 0 and selling them for about $25-$30. There are really a lot of unread copies of that book out there. The print run was high. Still, it looks great in the CGC case, and it is super-key story-wise and very recognizable to anyone who was around in 1992/3.

What about Rai 0? confused-smiley-013.gif

I've had good luck in the past on getting 9.8s on Rai 0 and selling them for about $25-$30. There are really a lot of unread copies of that book out there. The print run was high. Still, it looks great in the CGC case, and it is super-key story-wise and very recognizable to anyone who was around in 1992/3.

Thanks for the info. It's one of the 2 Valiant books in my collection. Thought it had a cool cover(still do), and have yet to ever open it. The other is a Bloodshot 1 with the "foil-card cover" or whatever they called it. tongue.gif

The usual suspects Rai 1, 3,4 , Magnus 1, 15, Solar 10, X-o manofwar chrome variant cover.

What is X-o manofwar chrome variant cover?

Any preunity book in 9.6 or better is worth grading...

9.8 is even better...@ 9.6 you will be the grading fees and possibly a little extra for them..depending on the book..

harbinger 1 is tough in HG

Vintage magnus 1-4 is tough in HG

Solar 10 is tough

The usual suspects Rai 1, 3,4 , Magnus 1, 15, Solar 10, X-o manofwar chrome variant cover.

What is X-o manofwar chrome variant cover?

I think that's probably the X-O Manowar #0 Gold variant.

The list above mentions Magnus 15, but that should be Magnus 12.

(Magnus 15 isn't a bad book, it's just not as good as 12.) grin.gif