• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help me do my Speech!!!! On investing in Comics

34 posts in this topic

Hello, I have to give a very short speech tommaro on why you should invest in comics. I am going to talk about the Metropolis Index-in overstreet price guide. And basically explain that most sought after Silver and Gold age comics go up in value over time. Some quesitons that you maybe able to help me with.

1. Why might a person invest in Comics, rather than the Stock market?

2. What prevents the comics market from crashing, and why will comic values continue to go up over time?

3. Any other useful info or graphs you could send me would be greatly appriciated!!

Thank you so much!!!!

Yenling29@yahoo.com

foreheadslap.gif

Just go pull Metro's article in the latest Overstreet.

Otherwise, you're just starting a nice big fat flame war here as we debate the TGC (the great crash).

For my part, Comics = bad investment. And that's all I got to say about that.

Any collectible is based on the greater fools theory. That is, there's a bigger fool than you willing to pay more for something with no/limited intrinsic value.

Perhaps you should take the opposite approach?

Who is the audience?

Now there's a good question. Here's another one...

Why do have to do it? grin.gif

27_laughing.gif, it's for my public speaking class, I'm getting my BA, and am finished w/ my major. So I took this class justto fill up some units my own personal knowledge. Audience, is about 100 college kids, probably don't give a darn about comics. I really just want to be able to give the positive reasons why one might invest in comics rather than the stock market. Thanks for all the responses!! headbang.gif

Who is the audience?

Now there's a good question. Here's another one...

Why do have to do it? grin.gif

27_laughing.gif, it's for my public speaking class, I'm getting my BA, and am finished w/ my major. So I took this class justto fill up some units my own personal knowledge. Audience, is about 100 college kids, probably don't give a darn about comics. I really just want to be able to give the positive reasons why one might invest in comics rather than the stock market. Thanks for all the responses!! headbang.gif

Oh, in that case, b/c investing in comics enables one to pick up chicks better. One can say they are "chick magnets", especially for college guys.

Hello, I have to give a very short speech tommaro on why you should invest in comics.

You could make this speech so short it could comprise of only two words... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can do it in one word!

1. Because the hobby is booming like never before. Comic circulation levels are at record highs. Kids and adults alike are reading comics like crazy and buying and selling comics is rapidly becoming the nation's #1 pastime. Look for Jim Cramer to replace his "Mad Money" show on CNBC with "Crazy Booyah Comics" any day now. gossip.gif

2. Because you're getting in on this opportunity at the ground floor level. Comic prices have hardly moved in years. It's not like you're buying after prices have already ramped parabolically higher, right? Prices are way affordable, even for HG Silver Age keys. Get them now before prices go so high that only a few people can afford them. headbang.gif

3. Because who wants partial ownership of a company that generates profits year after year when you can buy a comic that sits in a box and looks pretty (if you ever bothered to pull it out to look at). And those pesky dividends - who needs them? I mean, who wants extra cash; the government just ends up taxing you anyway. frustrated.gif

4. Because the American consumer has never been healthier and more willing to spend his or her hard-earned money in the comic market. The typical American has no debt and is seeing his or her salary skyrocket. All that talk about bankruptcies, zero-amortization mortgages and entire industries being outsourced to India is just media hype. The only thing the media *should* be hyping is what a great investment opportunity comics are. sign-rantpost.gif

5. Because there are over a billion Chinese people who have yet to discover the American comic market. If every Chinese person bought just 1 CGC slab per year, just imagine what that would do to comic prices. And this is practically guaranteed to happen since the Chinese have always shown a propensity to throw crazy money at periodicals written in a language they can't understand, on the $25/week salary they make at the local widget factory. laugh.gif

6. Because the next logical step for the millions of fans who saw any of the Oscar-worthy films based on comic books (like "The Fantastic Four" or "Elektra") is to immediately become a HG slab investor/collector. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

7. Because even new comics prove to be a good investment. It's not like most new issues end up in the $1 bin 6 months later, right? sumo.gif

8. Because the low, low price of new comics and their ubiquity is only enticing more and more readers into the hobby who will later turn into comic investors. What kid wouldn't gladly shell out a measly $3 or $4 bucks for a decompressed story that takes 5 minutes to read for each of the 6 issues that comprise 1 storyline? And the kids see the comics everywhere - drugstores, bookstores, newsstands, supermarkets (not to mention the LCS), so how can they not get exposed to and fall in love with comics at an early age? It's not like they have any other entertainment options these days anyway. The Internet, DVDs, iPods...all fads, I tell you, all fads. Here today, gone tomorrow. Comics are forever. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I could go on and on, but why bother? It's just so obvious that the outlook for the comic market has never been brighter! cool.gif

1. Because the hobby is booming like never before. Comic circulation levels are at record highs. Kids and adults alike are reading comics like crazy and buying and selling comics is rapidly becoming the nation's #1 pastime. Look for Jim Cramer to replace his "Mad Money" show on CNBC with "Crazy Booyah Comics" any day now. gossip.gif

2. Because you're getting in on this opportunity at the ground floor level. Comic prices have hardly moved in years. It's not like you're buying after prices have already ramped parabolically higher, right? Prices are way affordable, even for HG Silver Age keys. Get them now before prices go so high that only a few people can afford them. headbang.gif

3. Because who wants partial ownership of a company that generates profits year after year when you can buy a comic that sits in a box and looks pretty (if you ever bothered to pull it out to look at). And those pesky dividends - who needs them? I mean, who wants extra cash; the government just ends up taxing you anyway. frustrated.gif

4. Because the American consumer has never been healthier and more willing to spend his or her hard-earned money in the comic market. The typical American has no debt and is seeing his or her salary skyrocket. All that talk about bankruptcies, zero-amortization mortgages and entire industries being outsourced to India is just media hype. The only thing the media *should* be hyping is what a great investment opportunity comics are. sign-rantpost.gif

5. Because there are over a billion Chinese people who have yet to discover the American comic market. If every Chinese person bought just 1 CGC slab per year, just imagine what that would do to comic prices. And this is practically guaranteed to happen since the Chinese have always shown a propensity to throw crazy money at periodicals written in a language they can't read, on the $25/week salary they make at the local widget factory. laugh.gif

6. Because the next logical step for the millions of fans who saw any of the Oscar-worthy films based on comic books (like "The Fantastic Four" or "Elektra") is to immediately become a HG slab investor/collector. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

7. Because even new comics prove to be a good investment. It's not like most new issues end up in the $1 bin 6 months later, right? sumo.gif

8. Because the low, low price of new comics and their ubiquity is only enticing more and more readers into the hobby who will later turn into comic investors. What kid wouldn't gladly shell out a measly $3 or $4 bucks for a decompressed story that takes 5 minutes to read for each of the 6 issues that comprise 1 storyline? And the kids see the comics everywhere - drugstores, bookstores, supermarkets (not to mention the LCS), so how can they not get exposed to and fall in love with comics at an early age? It's not like they have any other entertainment options these days anyway. The Internet, DVDs, iPods...all fads, I tell you, all fads. Here today, gone tomorrow. Comics are forever. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I could go on and on, but why bother? It's just so obvious that the outlook for the comic market has never been brighter! cool.gif

27_laughing.gifhail.gif

5. Because there are over a billion Chinese people who have yet to discover the American comic market. If every Chinese person bought just 1 CGC slab per year, just imagine what that would do to comic prices. And this is practically guaranteed to happen since the Chinese have always shown a propensity to throw crazy money at periodicals written in a language they can't read, on the $25/week salary they make at the local widget factory. laugh.gif

8. Because the low, low price of new comics and their ubiquity is only enticing more and more readers into the hobby who will later turn into comic investors. What kid wouldn't gladly shell out a measly $3 or $4 bucks for a decompressed story that takes 5 minutes to read for each of the 6 issues that comprise 1 storyline? And the kids see the comics everywhere - drugstores, bookstores, supermarkets (not to mention the LCS), so how can they not get exposed to and fall in love with comics at an early age? It's not like they have any other entertainment options these days anyway. The Internet, DVDs, iPods...all fads, I tell you, all fads. Here today, gone tomorrow. Comics are forever. 893applaud-thumb.gif

GOOD LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hail.gif

This is a silly, silly post, must have taken you like 30 minutes

27_laughing.gifhail.gif

Gene, you forgot one:

9. Past performance is ALWAYS a predictor of future performance.

foreheadslap.gif

Just go pull Metro's article in the latest Overstreet.

Otherwise, you're just starting a nice big fat flame war here as we debate the TGC (the great crash).

For my part, Comics = bad investment. And that's all I got to say about that.

Okay, I should not be doing a speech on investing in comics. I don't know enough about it. So, alot of people believe there will be a "Great Crash" soon? Or what, can someone fill me in? sorry for starting some mean old flame war