• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Heritage/CGC book reaches "Full Potential"

99 posts in this topic

Shield emailed me this info and I can't believe that another pedigree has been compromised in this fashion. I don't know how the book was cleaned, but it was cleaned. There's a discussion about this on Shields website goldcomics.com

Shield discovered this Top Notch 9 on Heritage that use to be 7.0.

http://comics.heritagegalleries.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=819&Lot_No=4378

First, the book used to be an 8.0, not a 7.0.

Second, the book was clearly dry cleaned because the gunk is still all there in the colored area of the back cover. It's only gone from the white area. The book looks like it has had some light bends pressed out.

So here's another example of people who don't care about the hobby, who only care about short term gain, ruining a beautiful comic book. This book has been compromised, it been altered. I've only had one pedigree that I know of, a Rockford and part of the appeal was the untouched nature of it. These sob's are despoilng these great treasures, these pedigrees. I think this is a symptom of the larger disease our country has, pure, unadulterated greed. It's disgusting. It makes me sick.

http://comics.heritagegalleries.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=819&Lot_No=4378

Second, the book was clearly dry cleaned because the gunk is still all there in the colored area of the back cover. It's only gone from the white area. The book looks like it has had some light bends pressed out.

Right, it was a VF 8.0 . Are you bothered by this?

So here's another example of people who don't care about the hobby, who only care about short term gain, ruining a beautiful comic book. This book has been compromised, it been altered. I've only had one pedigree that I know of, a Rockford and part of the appeal was the untouched nature of it. These sob's are despoilng these great treasures, these pedigrees. I think this is a symptom of the larger disease our country has, pure, unadulterated greed. It's disgusting. It makes me sick.

Don't you think "ruining a comic book" is a bit hyperbolic? They haven't ruined it. They erased some surface grime from the back cover spine area and they pressed out a minor bend near the top left corner. And the book looks better now, not worse.

So let me ask this. It seems this has been going on over the last year or so. Wouldnt it be safer to buy the old label books which would be before these scams popped up?

It's been going on a lot longer than a year. foreheadslap.gif

This book has been compromised, it been altered. I've only had one pedigree that I know of, a Rockford and part of the appeal was the untouched nature of it. These sob's are despoilng these great treasures, these pedigrees. I think this is a symptom of the larger disease our country has, pure, unadulterated greed. It's disgusting. It makes me sick.

Exactly. That book survived in beautiful shape for 60+ years without anyone screwing around with it. Now, greed is going to forever taint these once untouched books. Pathetic. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Don't you think "ruining a comic book" is a bit hyperbolic? They haven't ruined it. They erased some surface grime from the back cover spine area and they pressed out a minor bend near the top left corner. And the book looks better now, not worse.

Thats not the point. the point is they should be disclosing this info to whomever buys the book. thumbsup2.gif

So let me ask this. It seems this has been going on over the last year or so. Wouldnt it be safer to buy the old label books which would be before these scams popped up?

I think it would, but it could have been going on then too. If these scandals reach a bigger audience, it will probably hurt the pedigree market and maybe the high grade market. It's just easier to discover on a pedigree. I'm just blown away by the brazen nature of this type deciet.

No I don't. They've ruined the untouched virgin quality of a pedigree . They also didn't disclose it. If I want to get a book cleaned and pressed I'd disclose it before I sold it. I think many people buy pedigrees for the fact that they are suppose to be unaltered. The question here is not my use of Hyperboly, but what was done to this book and not disclosed.

Right, it was a VF 8.0 . Are you bothered by this?

The only thing that bothers me about this is that I am concerned about the effect it could have on the long-term health of the back issue market. It seems like since the Ewert scandal broke that people have a lot more suspicion about games being played. It also seems that these individual examples are now having a far more damaging effect on the overall collector psyche than they used to have. (In other words, people didn't seem to mind as much about dry cleaning and pressing as they do now. Arty has had his resubbed Church list available for years and no one has really made a huge stink about those books. They've been more of a curiosity than anything else.)

While I am extremely concerned and maybe even downright worried about the effect that the crack/dry-clean-and-press/resub game will have on the long-term health of the market, dry cleaning and pressing a comic book does not bother me personally. I would not hesitate to buy a dry cleaned and pressed book, so long as the work were done by someone like Matt Nelson who knows what he is doing. But I realize not everyone feels that way and I'm not trying to impose my beliefs in that regard on anyone else.

I think it would, but it could have been going on then too. If these scandals reach a bigger audience, it will probably hurt the pedigree market and maybe the high grade market. It's just easier to discover on a pedigree. I'm just blown away by the brazen nature of this type deciet.

What I am saying is that it seems this scam has been picking up steam as more and more people get away with this. I think buying older label books would be alot safer.

Thats not the point. the point is they should be disclosing this info to whomever buys the book. thumbsup2.gif

That may be your point, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Black_Hand's point when he said the book was "ruined."

That may be your point, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Black_Hand's point when he said the book was "ruined."

Yeah I am in my own little world right now as I ease my way back in.