• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Dealer Review #1 - Metropolis Comics

84 posts in this topic

Let's set up categories for all the major "players" that sell Golden Age comics online. Instead of this turning into one huge thread, we can add comments individually for each dealer.

I will try to set up these categories for each dealer, and this first post will link to their respective websites.

Metropolis Comics

http://www.metropoliscomics.com

I've bought several things from Metropolis in the years past.

Here's my overall accessment:

1. They grade pretty accurately, and very occasionally things slip through. Both ways. I've bought stuff under and over-graded. No hassle return policy.

2. Keep in mind they are in business to make money, so naturally, the higher ticket item the more attention you'll get. I'm sure they are inundated with scan requests, so they have to set a minimum $$$ amount for a scan request.

3. They're sometimes rude, and act as if they don't have a lot of time for you. Nitin was good at this, and also was a master of the phrase "Oooh, it's a real tough book" no matter what I was asking about.

4. They are also caught up in the "hype" of classic covers; I've seen them overprice many books just because a copy at one point caught fire on EBAY. Example: They have a Pep #34 CGC VG+ for $875, which is way higher than it'd go for on EBAY.

5. They buy books from Heritage, and mark them up tremendously to sell on their own site. Good business move, but I'm also sharp enough to notice these things as well.

6. They GET BOOKS! I cannot find anyone better at locating things I want ot buy.

7. Occasionally you'll get a deal from them as well, and be pleased as punch.

8. Great packaging material for raw comics. Darn near indestructable.

Bottom line, in my opinion:

Metropolis isn't going to be your best friend when you call, and sometimes this will annoy you and take the fun somewhat out of buying. However, acknowledge this before you call, and realize they are just an interim part of enjoying a collection. They know how to grade, at least in the Good to VF Golden Age grades (cannot vouch for silver as I do not collect them).

Also, they have a great automated ordering system in place, and ship in a reasonable amount of time.

You'll never get the best deal you could ever get, but Metropolis will assist you in completing a run of hard to find books if your wallet permits. Been buying there for 3 years now and I've only returned one book due to a bottom spine split (out of 20+ purchases and a few thousand dollars). These guys helped me get an Archie #2 and #3, which are "tough books" indeed. 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

I buy a lot off stuff from them as well...they could be a little more flexable with discounts...I just bought a Wonder Woman #84 2 days ago for $450.00 they have graded as a 9.0 vf/nm..thats about 2x book value for a raw book....tried negotiating for about 2 months on the price but they would not budge....they could of thrown mw a bone and given 5% off for a steady customer....wouldn't kill them.

Jonny D.

I buy a book or two from them about every 2-3 months. They're a little grumpy, but their grading is pretty solid, and of course they have a return policy if you don't agree with the grade.

Vinnie started to send out a "new arrivals" list for customers on their mailing list, so that's kind of nice that previous customers get first shot. I even bought a book from the Devil's Lake Collection, infamous for the "Great Butter Debacle of 2002" last winter... grin.gif

I totally hear you. I have purposely NOT bought books from them just because they didn't knock $15 off the price of a $350 book. I think they're forgetting that we want some sort of a "deal" on books, because that's part of the fun. I don't want to think that any schmuck could've come along and gotten the exact same deal for a book; what's the point of being loyal and returning for business?

The good news is I have 91 books left to get and my collection is complete, and I'd say 75 of them are available elsewhere. I'll probably only purchase a handful of books from them before it's all said and done.

My question to anyone is this: Have you ever SOLD anything to them? I imagine they wheel & deal pretty well on the buying end; they're pretty tough business people.

I've only purchased one item from them. It was a CGC Superboy #2 that they had bought from Heritage. It was marked up 20% over the purchase price from Heritage. I was just too slow to get if from Heritage, so I paid the price.

I didn't have any rudeness or trouble with Customer Service. I didn't ask for a discount (I suppose that saved me some time, since it appears futile). They did severely overcharge me on shipping because I have a PO box and they usually ship UPS.

But I really wanted the book, it was the Highest CGC grade and was the best one I've ever seen. Superboy #2 is a hard book to find in high grade.

Metropoleis gives 0 to 5% off MAXIMUM on their books. They are just not that interested in discounting. I was lucky though, they mispriced a Timely at $1200 instead of $2100. There is my discount!

Timely

Metropoleis gives 0 to 5% off MAXIMUM on their books. They are just not that interested in discounting. I was lucky though, they mispriced a Timely at $1200 instead of $2100. There is my discount! Timely

oouch!!!

Last time I checked, we had about 25,000 discounted Golden and Silver Age books for sale. The discounts range between 5% and 50%. Look on our website, there are tons.

As for the Young Allies #17 9.2 cream to ow pages, I paid $1000 for this book and felt $1200 was a comfortable price. West, I don't know who you're going to get to pay you $2,100 for that book but good luck. Then again, the prices you ask on books never ceases to amaze me.

Steve

In my opinion, the guys at Metropolis may very well be the finest human beings ever to have walked the earth. God-like if you will. 27_laughing.gif

Gimme a 30% discount on every order & I will worship you guys like Gods! laughing.gif

Last time I checked, we had about 25,000 discounted Golden and Silver Age books for sale. The discounts range between 5% and 50%. Look on our website, there are tons.

As for the Young Allies #17 9.2 cream to ow pages, I paid $1000 for this book and felt $1200 was a comfortable price. West, I don't know who you're going to get to pay you $2,100 for that book but good luck. Then again, the prices you ask on books never ceases to amaze me.

Steve

thats not a discount When you lower your prices before anyone shows interest in some of your inventory, that's your business decision to try to unload or sell some books at a lower price. How can you call that a discount? You know what he meant.....frankly I have looked online at your inventory, and to me, when I see your 5% off or whatever, its a kiss of death. I think here is a book no one wants. Just lower the price instead. or do it like in the CBG dealer ads: " if you buy 1000, take 10% off!" Then buyers know where they stand and have an incentive to buy and buy some more.

btw--you have an incredible inventory!!!