• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How is the Orlando MegaCon?

45 posts in this topic

If you have a list of higher grade marvel to sell pm me - I can get a list together pretty quick. I had some messages with Brent the other day and am bringing a cgc 8.5 Journey 85 for him to look at - also have cgc 8.0 journey 109 and a 9.2 #118 extra. I know there are a few FFs, X-men and Spideys too - range from 8.0 to 9.2s. I think I will come dressed as a Sith lord to feel like I am fitting in.

I hope next year they try to stagger the dates of these two cons and not have them on the same weekend, but either way I'm going to MegaCon and will have a good time. hope to see you all there.

where do you live in kentucky, thedude?

a little place called Hebron, right across the river from Cincinnati, OH.

how bout you ?

Berea, about 35 south of Lexington on 75.

I"m still pondering whether to fly down or not. I can get a free ticket from my LCS and stay with my mom in lakeland. The question is do i want to blow a vacation at work or not. There is heroescon in 6 months.

I"m still pondering whether to fly down or not. I can get a free ticket from my LCS and stay with my mom in lakeland. The question is do i want to blow a vacation at work or not. There is heroescon in 6 months.

Just an hour and a half drive for me. cloud9.gif

Its one of the more "fun" cons in my opinion. Your selection of back issues is not nearly as deep as a Chicago or San Diego Comic Con (not even close, really), but you have a lot of regional dealers who can actually afford the booths, so the chances for getting good deals on comics from the last 25-35 years is a lot better then at a larger venue. In the past, I've pulled high grade X-Men in the 110s-130s, early G.I. Joes, Transformers, tons of marvel Bronze, and paid right around 25-30% of Guide for them on average.

Also, the peripheral stuff (costumes, anime, gaming) is a lot more prevelant at this Con. Most say the "peoplewatching" of all the costumed folks is worth the price of admission alone...its like Halloween in there.

Its one of the more "fun" cons in my opinion. Your selection of back issues is not nearly as deep as a Chicago or San Diego Comic Con (not even close, really), but you have a lot of regional dealers who can actually afford the booths, so the chances for getting good deals on comics from the last 25-35 years is a lot better then at a larger venue. In the past, I've pulled high grade X-Men in the 110s-130s, early G.I. Joes, Transformers, tons of marvel Bronze, and paid right around 25-30% of Guide for them on average.

Also, the peripheral stuff (costumes, anime, gaming) is a lot more prevelant at this Con. Most say the "peoplewatching" of all the costumed folks is worth the price of admission alone...its like Halloween in there.

Dont forget to bring them early Joes! Im a gonna be there.

Got my plane ticket today. If anyone wants to meet, PM me. I will be flying into tampa (mom lives near there) and then racing in her car to make it by 1pm on Friday. Any dealers from the boards going to be there? If so let me know and i'll stop at those booths after i hit up greg land, perez and phil noto.

Never been, but may be able to hit up one day this year.

My one question to those who have been before is, if I buy a ticket online will I get caught in some ridiculous line early Friday waiting to pick up my ticket or something?

My one question to those who have been before is, if I buy a ticket online will I get caught in some ridiculous line early Friday waiting to pick up my ticket or something?

You're much better off pre-registering and picking up your badge...but in truth, once you do, you still have to wait in a pretty long line anyway just to get in.

I never remember waiting in line very long and I buy my tickets when I get there. For those of you coming from out of town, you may want to stay in downtown Orlando if you want to avoid the Disney vacation crowd. There are fun things to do out there by Disney and Universal but downtown has some excellent bars and clubs and you can walk around to all of them and the hotels are a bit cheaper. If you like alternative/rock check out the Social downtown. I am going Sat night with wife and friends to see a couple of bands - Electric Six and She Wants Revenge - to celebrate my 41st and attempt to hang onto my youth with both hands! There are many other really fun clubs in the vicinity that have live music or the ultra lounge thing. If you end up at the social, would be glad to treat any sane formite to a kamikaze!

we all need to meet up to say hi, maybe we should all wear some ridiculous item to easily stand out. Need to know which dealers from the boards will be there so i can check your wares out.

You're much better off pre-registering and picking up your badge...but in truth, once you do, you still have to wait in a pretty long line anyway just to get in.

I figured as much. If I go I will take your advice though. Thanks.

Okay, I think I'm going to go, I have to go to my Auntie's in Eustis and I also have to drop some stuff off at a friends in Orlando so I might as well go and see what all the fuss is about. I'm in WPB, who else is going?

Okay, I think I'm going to go, I have to go to my Auntie's in Eustis and I also have to drop some stuff off at a friends in Orlando so I might as well go and see what all the fuss is about. I'm in WPB, who else is going?

I am. my mom spends the winter in lakeland so will be flying into tampa friday morning 24th and rocketing to orlando to check it out. headbang.gif

I'll definetly be there. I look forward to hopefully meeting some of you. I feel sorry for everyone paying $22 to get in. What a rip 27_laughing.gif I think the CGC dinner is gong to happen. Lookin' forward to that.

And for people who are coming in from out of town, I'd suggest staying near the Convention center. Like walking distance, because parking otherwise is hell. But if someone is desperate for cash, you can crash at my dorm 27_laughing.gif. I just require one mid grade silver age X-men book. thumbsup2.gif

Also, my review of MegaCON is pretty positive. It is freakin' crowded on Sat. though. For example, I find body odor to be esspecially apparant on Saturday. The back issues are nice. Although Motor City is a rip no matter what CON you find them.

I will be there all three (flight permitting) days and look forward to meeting Thedude, king, jbone and some of the other forum guys. any recommendation on where to park smile.gif

Since CGC will be at the show does that mean they will accept signature series submissions?

I will be there all three (flight permitting) days and look forward to meeting Thedude, king, jbone and some of the other forum guys. any recommendation on where to park smile.gif

Since CGC will be at the show does that mean they will accept signature series submissions?

I'm definetly looking forward to it.

Yes. The same place I parked last year. The parking lot at the Bahama Breeze restaurant. headbang.gif It's nice and free. I hate the thought at spending about $22 just to get in, and another $5-10 just to park. That's $30+ just to get in! 27_laughing.gif, yeah right. I park for free and take a little walk, and I get in with some helpful connections.

I'm not sure on the SS question though. juggle.gif