• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Restored vs. Universal Pricing?

25 posts in this topic

What is the price differents between a slabbed copy of ie: CGC copy of ASM #14 at a grade of 9.0 Universal to the same grade of 9.0 Restored,is it 50% or is there a unwritten standard to pricing the two classifications? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What is the price differents between a slabbed copy of ie: CGC copy of ASM #14 at a grade of 9.0 Universal to the same grade of 9.0 Restored,is it 50% or is there a unwritten standard to pricing the two classifications? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It depends on the amount and type of restoration. I believe most buyers try and equate the "original condition" and try and bid appropriately.

Some people complain about the low bids that a "Apparent NM - Extensive Restoration" gets in comparson to a true NM, without understanding that in the pre-CGC days, that book (if disclosed) would be a "Good - Heavy Resto to NM" comic, with a premium attached above the Good OS value.

The real question should be: How is the end bid of that "Apparent NM - Heavy Restoration" compared to the Good Overstreet value? Most times it's higher, so restoration can yield higher profits for low-grade.

With CGC hiding the estimated pre-resto grade, it's all gotten kind of funky for restored books, and I wouldn't touch one with a ten-foot pole.

Because silver age Marvels are relatively plentiful in raw, unrestored condition, I would say the resto apparent nm copy would sell for an average of 75-80% OFF universal nm valuation. Make it 75% off 893blahblah.gifas ASM is still a hotter title than X-men or FF now.

Here are some numbers from gpanalysis for ASM 14 (just to show how useful they are to answer these questions - highly recommended!):

(9.0) (8) $2,413.38 3,100/2,025 Marvel Comics 1 1964 1 Feb 2003

MP (9.0) - $345.88 - Marvel Comics 1 1964 1 Feb 2003

(8.0) (8) $1,374.65 1,650/1,200 Marvel Comics 1 1964 1 Apr 2003

SP (8.0) - $380.01 - Marvel Comics 1 1964 1 Jul 2002

(7.5) - $999.00 - Signed by Stan Lee Marvel Comics 1 1964 1 Nov 2002

SA (7.5) (2) $365.00 375/355 Marvel Comics 1 1964 1 Jan 2003

(6.5) (12) $566.17 875/455 Marvel Comics 1 1964 1 Mar 2003

SA (6.5) - $375.00 - Marvel Comics 1 1964 1 Sep 2002

MA (6.5) (2) $315.45 331/299 Marvel Comics 1 1964 1 Nov 2002

For example, eight blue VF copies sold at an average of $1,374; one

SP VF sold at $380...

If you buy a restored book, don't buy it for an investment. Buy it because you want a nice looking copy at a huge discount compared to and unrestored copy.

While I don't know how these auctions will end this might give you some barometer on how highly UNDESIREABLE restored books are in todays market:

Sub-Mariner G/VG Unrestored

Sub-Mariner VF Restored

At the time of this post, the Unrestored G/VG copy is $700 higher than the Restored VF copy. Also, the Restored copy while still below O/S Guide price for a Good copy has met its reserve.

Plus, if I was going to buy a restored book, it would be a Golden Age book that I would want in high-grade that I don't expect to every be able to afford (or at least spend that much money on).

Hope this helps.

Yeah, Restored books are for collectors looking for a deal, and I don't know of an investor who would touch one on a bet. I agree, as putting any serious money into restored book goes against all the pillar of smart comic book investing...

Which is, getting the best copy available for the absolutely lowest price possible.

Or as we say on here - Doing A Greggy

well you all have valid point and yes I would buy some S.A. copys for collection purpose at mid to high grade restore,especially if all the restoration is a "very small color touch" and nothing else. I think that would be a major under a CGC copy ...... grin.gifgrin.gif

I've seen a restored NM Daredevil #1 with "slight" resto go for around $1200. The slabbed counterpart would cost 15K. IMO, this was a huge bargain, considering that the resto was very slight(I don't remember exactly what it was, possibly a trimmed edge.) I sure as hell would rather pay $1200 for that, than $15,000 for the non trimmed version. It's also better than paying $1200 for s significantly lesser-looking copy. Slightly restored books are some of the best buys on the market right now, IMO.

Slightly restored books are some of the best buys on the market right now, IMO.

For collectors, you have a point, but for investment, I disagree totally. High rollers will never pay top-dollar for restored books, and never will. It goes totally against their BSD act.

Slightly restored books are some of the best buys on the market right now, IMO.

For collectors, you have a point, but for investment, I disagree totally. High rollers will never pay top-dollar for restored books, and never will. It goes totally against their BSD act.

A good investment is paying a low price for something and getting a good return later. Personally, I think lightly restored, major keys will catch on more and more as time goes on (already happening) and they will garner a higher price. And if you sell an unslabbed, slightly restored book, with full disclosure, you'll likely get more than you would if sold with the purple label.

Just because a BSD buys something, dosen't mean it's a good investment. You've said this more than anyone. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think you should qualify that statement with the book should either be very hard to find in high grade (ASM 28, ASM 11, etc etc) or it should be a major key. Buying a restored ASM 100 in 9.4 isn't a wise investment unless you get it for 10 dollars.

Brian

I think you should qualify that statement with the book should either be very hard to find in high grade (ASM 28, ASM 11, etc etc) or it should be a major key. Buying a restored ASM 100 in 9.4 isn't a wise investment unless you get it for 10 dollars.

Read my post again. I said " major keys". 893frustrated.gif

In my opinion properly restored scarce golden age books are the only ones worth collecting. Then again I would buy a few restored 1st issue silver age key marvels but the price barely makes it worth it. If i'm going to spend a few thousand on a book I might as well spend a few more to get the unrestored version.

Some people complain about the low bids that a "Apparent NM - Extensive Restoration" gets in comparson to a true NM, without understanding that in the pre-CGC days, that book (if disclosed) would be a "Good - Heavy Resto to NM" comic, with a premium attached above the Good OS value.

I actually think that a lot of the distain/mistrust/avoidance of purple label books would disapear if CGC also listed the suspected 'pre restoration' grade.

This would at least give collectors/buyers a barometer as to what the book may look like should they decide to have the restoration removed.

Such a move from CGC would definately IMO strengthen the market for restored books. At the moment they are fetching as little as 10% of their Universal equivalents.

A lot of dealers and long-time collectors feel that gold and early silver restored books are a bargain right now...especially those without having pieces added, color touch, or other "frankenstein" procedures. I would guess that restored books have been going down in value since CGC started up, more as a knee-jerk reaction to the PLoD (Purple Label of Death), but as buyers become educated to the types of resto there will be more collectors (like me!) looking for lightly restored books (one of cleaned, pressed, tear seals, spine/staple reinforcement, "small amount of color touch", etc.,.).

Cleaned and pressed really is the way to go!

mad.gif893frustrated.gif

I didn't know I had to qualify every single statement, stating the obvious.

Such a move from CGC would definately IMO strengthen the market for restored books. At the moment they are fetching as little as 10% of their Universal equivalents.

I agree with the first point, but until then, there is no way to tell what percentage of their Universal equivalent they're getting.

After all, a Resto CGC 9.4 - Slight P is far different than a Resto CGC 9.4 - Extensive P. One might be a VF/NM, while the other is likely a G/VG.