• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Restored vs. Universal Pricing?

25 posts in this topic

After all, a Resto CGC 9.4 - Slight P is far different than a Resto CGC 9.4 - Extensive P. One might be a VF/NM, while the other is likely a G/VG.

Sure when I said 10% that was for extensive. I should have included a spread, which currently runs about 10-50% at each extreme.

Just got done wading throught the market advisories in OPG. I saw two comments that specifically addressed this. One said restored copies were bringing about 10% of apparent grade, the other figure was 25%. I don't recall if there were any qualifications about what age or genre or key-ness those numbers might or might not apply to.

Wayne

If you go back to my early post where I compare the Golden-Age Sub-Mariner #1 in Unrestored G/VG and the Restored VF you will see the final prices.

Both end around $2,600 (but the reserve was not met on the Unrestored book).

Guide value in Good is $2,500, so an Restored VF (high demand Golden Age book) got around the Good price.

Ten years ago, this same book would have gotten $5,000 easy.

The funny thing with restored books is:

WHY AREN'T THEY ALL NEAR MINT!!!!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If I did buy a restored book, I would want it in near mint. It's all restored (color touched, pieces added, etc.) Just finish the job.

laugh.gif

Some of the writing I've been reading lately compares comic restoration to old car re-builds, one of a kind art preservation and hand written documents from history. I believe comic books were mass produced individual escapes. I want the one with the pedigree 'that guy who bought the book after school '51'.

When bits of acid free rice paper, modern technology and tracing are employed, I'd prefer the economical re-print thank you very much.

I've always preferred real racks... wink.gif

If I did buy a restored book, I would want it in near mint. It's all restored (color touched, pieces added, etc.) Just finish the job.

Good point. Assuming that a pro did the restoration in the first place, I would have to assume the books become damaged further AFTER restoration. confused.gif

But I really can't explain some of the VG restored books that are out there. 893whatthe.gif