• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mighty Chaykin

46 posts in this topic

I can't read anything that romita jr does. Am i the only one who thinks his characters look bad and that he has zero talent? His father was very good.

I feel like I should like him better than I do. I respect his art, but somehow he doesn't have the pizzazz for me. I liked him on Daredevil, with what was her name, Typhoid Mary?

I wouldn't say he has zero talent though.

What artists do you like Pirate?

Kyle Baker. Plastic Man will be sorely missed.

Baker...Didn't he follow Sienkiewicz on the Shadow in the late 80's? I didn't see Plastic Man, but I've heard Baker's name pop up now and then, and that his style changed quite a bit.

I hereby proclaim Kyle Baker king of cartoonists.

The Andy Helfer/Kyle Baker Shadow run was a definite high point of the late 80s, early 90s.

Yes I liked it at the time, haven't seen it in a while.

I saw Chaykin's Shadow from that same period recently, and while it's good, I don't think it's up to American Flagg. It seems like when artists go back to their childhood heroes, like Chaykin to Blackhawk or Shadow, it's good but not as good as their original stuff. I guess if they get the chance they jump at it, who wouldn't.

Has anyone here seen Chaykin's work? And do you like any earlier artists Stephen, or all Modern stuff?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif...... Early Artists: Adams, Smith, Steranko, Pereze, Turrner, Layton, and others.

F Y I ,THERE IS TALK OF AN 'AMERICAN FLAG' MOVIE, AND CHAYKIN WILL BE AT WONDERCON SF.

An American Flagg movie would be super. grin.gif

Hopefully Chaykin can co-direct, like Miller with Sin City, it needs his personality to work.

Welcome to the Boards. smile.gif

Always good to have another Bullets fan around. thumbsup2.gif

I was going to say good to have another Kubert fan around...

Marc Spector--are you picking up the new Sgt. Rock?

Didn't Chaykin do Sword and Sorcery?

Marc

No I haven't seen the new Rock yet! Is it good?

Yes I really like Kubert, he's got a gritty quality, somehow graceful and rough with the way he inks, also spontaneous.

Imagine Kubert next to a page by Jim Lee. Lee is skilled, no doubt, but he doesn't have the rough and tough quality of Kubert, that gritty reality. Lee is so polished, like a shiny car.

My favorite Kubert so far is The Return of Tarzan in the big format. Love looking at that one. And Kubert is another guy who can write and draw.

Chaykin did Sword and Sorcery, early work, seems to me it resembles his Ironwolf from the same period.

Oh I looked through the Sgt. Rock graphic novel, but didn't pick it up yet. I was disappointed in the layouts, seems somewhat ordinary compared to Kubert's other work. What did you think, is this story good?

Hey Zonker, nice to see this Chaykin page! I didn't know he drew Batman back then. I saw his contribution to the more recent Black and White series that I thought was funny and well written.

Do you happen to know what Batman issue(s) Chaykin drew?

To my knowledge, this story from Detective 441 was the only Bat-story Chaykin drew (at least prior to the B & W project). He did author a Legends of the Dark Knight arc, and may have written an Elseworlds 1-shot featuring Batman somewhere along the line. But "Judgment Day" was his sole bronze age Batman artwork, done not long after his break-in on the Fafhrd & Grey Mouser series in Sword of Sorcery and the Ironwolf strip in Weird Worlds.