• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Holy Terrible Super Bowl Officiating!

367 posts in this topic

Seahawks fans, quit your whining.

And Panther fans, and Eagles fans, and Giants fans, and Patriot fans, and every other team fan that has spoken out....

insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Awww, don't cry. Sack it up. One team has to lose, one has to win. Seattle played the same game they did against the Redskins. Only difference is that Pittsburgh actually has some offense.

Seahawks will be back soon. They're in the weakest division in the entire league, so they're playoff locks for a few more years.

I'm a Redskin fan, BTW. Don't cry b/c your team didn't show up. Easier to blame the officials than the players I suppose.

Seattle played the same game they did against the Redskins. Only difference is that Pittsburgh actually has some offense.

I'm still pizzed at the Skins for blowing that one! If they had played all game long with as much energy and moved the ball like they did in the last desperation minutes of that game, they might have pulled off a win especially since they took out Alexander early in that game.

And Panther fans, and Eagles fans, and Giants fans, and Patriot fans, and every other team fan that has spoken out....

Awww, don't cry. Sack it up. One team has to lose, one has to win. Seattle played the same game they did against the Redskins. Only difference is that Pittsburgh actually has some offense.

Seahawks will be back soon. They're in the weakest division in the entire league, so they're playoff locks for a few more years.

I'm a Redskin fan, BTW. Don't cry b/c your team didn't show up. Easier to blame the officials than the players I suppose.

dook sucks. that is all

The better team won, and that's the sentiment I get from reading the 'hawks player quotes as well. confused-smiley-013.gif

And you really expect the losing team to NOT act classy, and slam the referees, risking fines and sanctions against their team, not to mention being labelled as "whiners" by the pro-Steeler segment of the press?

In all sports, you are taught to lose graciously, and that's what the Seahawks did, but to state their class act is somehow an admission of perfect officiating is pretty stupid, even for a Steelers fan.

The better team won, and that's the sentiment I get from reading the 'hawks player quotes as well. confused-smiley-013.gif

And you really expect the losing team to NOT act classy, and slam the referees, risking fines and sanctions against their team, not to mention being labelled as "whiners" by the pro-Steeler segment of the press?

In all sports, you are taught to lose graciously, and that's what the Seahawks did, but to state their class act is somehow an admission of perfect officiating is pretty stupid, even for a Steelers fan.

Who's stating their quotes indicate they agree with the officiating? Not me!

No, their quotes indicate they know they lost because they played poorly - multiple dropped passes (Stevens would have been better off practicing this week instead of running his mouth), 2 missed field goals, unexcusably poor clock management at the end of both halves, a terrible throw by Hasselback on the int, not covering the WR pass (even after the announcers kept talking about Pittsburgh running more trick plays after Ward's reverse), etc.,. etc.,. etc.,.

No, their quotes indicate they know they lost because they played poorly - multiple dropped passes (Stevens would have been better off practicing this week instead of running his mouth), 2 missed field goals, unexcusably poor clock management at the end of both halves, a terrible throw by Hasselback on the int, not covering the WR pass (even after the announcers kept talking about Pittsburgh running more trick plays after Ward's reverse), etc.,. etc.,. etc.,.

thumbsup2.gif

saying the officiating was poor is one thing. i mean, that's evident on the face of the thing

ascribing a "conspiracy" to the officiating, wherein the league for some reason wants Pittsburgh to win over Seattle...well, that immediately takes you into looney bird territory

screwy.gif

Let's not mention the mandatory fine (generally as much as $10,000) that the NFL fines players for speaking out about officiating.

Joey Porter got a free pass with his comments after the Indy game, but the call in question was universally deemed to be a bad one, so the NFL was more forgiving.

I wonder if you'd be singing the same tune if it were your Redskins in last night's game getting the lion's share of the questionable calls.

Somehow, I doubt it.

But if in that scenario, you could place the blame for losing squarely at the feet of your team, and write off the officiating as a non-issue, you're a better man than me.

But, I doubt that too.

I wonder if you'd be singing the same tune if it were your Redskins in last night's game getting the lion's share of the questionable calls.

Somehow, I doubt it.

But if in that scenario, you could place the blame for losing squarely at the feet of your team, and write off the officiating as a non-issue, you're a better man than me.

But, I doubt that too.

Dude, you really need to step back and take a deep breath. While most agree the officiating stunk, the game is over. There will be no make up game. Steelers won and took the trophy home. Better luck next year.

Sheesh, are all the fans in the Northwest like this? Nevermind, I just saw your ESPN link, and 88% of the fans in your area rank bad officiating the most memorable thing about the game. screwy.gif

The game was very tough to watch. Pitt played good enough to win, some bad call made but Seattle played bad enough to loose.

Bottom line is, its only a game. Moaning about it will not change the outcome.

Pitt 21 - Seahawks 10, is what will read for years to come, bad officiating or not.

Seattle played the same game they did against the Redskins. Only difference is that Pittsburgh actually has some offense.

I'm still pizzed at the Skins for blowing that one! If they had played all game long with as much energy and moved the ball like they did in the last desperation minutes of that game, they might have pulled off a win especially since they took out Alexander early in that game.

If Charles Rogers makes the interception and takes it to the house (the ball clanked off his hands), the Skins win that game.

ascribing a "conspiracy" to the officiating, wherein the league for some reason wants Pittsburgh to win over Seattle...well, that immediately takes you into looney bird territory

Strangely, that's exactly what some people said to me when I stated the Russians had fixed the 2002 Olympics. Of course, thanks to the FBI, we all know about the conspiracy now, between Russia and France, and the direct involvement of the Russian Mafia. But at the time, a lot of people refused to believe that their beloved sport was fixed.

Some people, even with the evidence sitting right in front of them, do not want to think that sports are often fixed and overtly manipulated. They'd rather live in the past, viewing 2006 sporting events through rose-colored glasses. Roger Staubach rather than Ryan Leaf. That's why ESPN buckled to the NFL and cancelled Playmakers, as it showed a side of pro sports they do not want disseminated - they'd rather leave fans with their nostalgic fantasies.

Now I am not saying the Super Bowl was fixed, only that a great many sporting events are, from point shaving to fake injuries to officials in your hip pocket. That's a fact Jack, but everyone can make up their own mind about Super Bowl XL.

Somehow, I doubt it.

But, I doubt that too.

Dude, you really need to step back and take a deep breath. While most agree the officiating stunk, the game is over. There will be no make up game. Steelers won and took the trophy home. Better luck next year.

Sheesh, are all the fans in the Northwest like this? Nevermind, I just saw your ESPN link, and 88% of the fans in your area rank bad officiating the most memorable thing about the game. screwy.gif

Nice try, but I live in Florida where the percentage is a more moderate 38%.

BTW, the main page of ESPN has a new poll asking whether people think the officiating affected the outcome of the game.

Current sentiment....60% YES. 40% NO. Go vote and make your voice heard.

And you're right, nothing is going to change the fact that my team did play poorly, nor the fact that the Trophy goes to Pittsburgh.

But then, unless injustice is challenged and identified for what it is, who is to say this won't happen again to some other poor team, to other fans?

If I can put it in comic terms.....if it weren't for the actions of a few brave souls among us who did the research, hunted for scans, raised the issues, and pointed out the descrepencies, would we know anything about Ewert-gate, or PCS, or any of the other scandals currently going on in the hobby?

What happened last night was B.S. You don't agree, fine. That's your right.

But just like the scandals that have hit out hobby lately, don't expect it to go away quietly.

Somehow, I doubt it.

But, I doubt that too.

For real! No need to get into personal attacks. I call the game like I saw.

The officials aren't the guys that let Pittsburgh convert 3 and 28!

Keep crying. Just don't forget to change your tampon.

People that spout gibberish like this have obviously never played high-level sports before, and on a comic book forum, that's hardly surprising.

If the officials are biased and targetting you or your team (and it happens a lot, especially with "homer refs") then it changes your entire game. You are unsure of what you can or cannot do, and you start second-guessing everything, lose your focus, and no longer play your game, but the ref's.

This is especially true in team sports, where everyone must be on the same page to win.

People that spout gibberish like this have obviously never played high-level sports before, and on a comic book forum, that's hardly surprising.

If the officials are biased and targetting you or your team (and it happens a lot, especially with "homer refs") then it changes your entire game. You are unsure of what you can or cannot do, and you start second-guessing everything, lose your focus, and no longer play your game, but the ref's.

This is especially true in team sports, where everyone must be on the same page to win.

You didn't really just post that, did you? You think the ref's had something to do with that?

Did you watch the same play I did? That ball should have never got to Ward. It hung there and was short. Ward had to come back to it. There was a defender right there.

Oh, and as for the crack about 'high-level sports', please let me know when your next pro game is. I'd love to attend. 27_laughing.gif

Oh, and as for the crack about 'high-level sports', please let me know when your next pro game is. I'd love to attend. 27_laughing.gif

If you have a time machine, I'll invite you to any number for of high-level sporting events, things you are obviously unfamiliar with, since they do not involve drinking or drug use.