• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Get ready for an exciting year!

49 posts in this topic

Hey Mark

I apologize in advance for the inevitable conspiracies that will arise, but I feel it necessary to quote & highlight the following from your above post:

One of the best grades to collect is in the FN to VF/NM range because the advantage of professional grading is not yet realized at this level and no financial gain is applied to books at this grade level . In essence, you get a free restoration check, page count, etc when you purchace books at this level and secondly, they look awesome because CGC's grading has evolved to become extremely strict . You can just crack em out and enjoy them. I know a lot of collectors who do just that and are very pleased.

Sorry. flowerred.gif

Hey Mark

I apologize in advance for the inevitable conspiracies that will arise, but I feel it necessary to quote & highlight the following from your above post:

Sorry. flowerred.gif

smile.gif No need to apologize at all.

I understand that no matter what is said and regardless of intent, others will see in it something different.

But that is OK too. I wish some of us could sit down and have a cup of coffee and talk about things but typing is all we have at times, and I for one am a SLOW typist and rotten speller.

Couple that with a sensitive personality and you can see why I am not so good with the boards smile.gif

But what I said is correct (to the best of my observational abilities and actual involvement).

I know lots of collectors who really enjoy this level, especially in the Golden Age era.

By the way, CGC and I have no affiliation at all. I think I hold the record for the least amount of submissions for a charter member too smile.gif

Mark

I meant to go back & further explain my post. It had absolutely nothing to do with you, but moreso the recent discussions on these boards regarding books realizing their "full potential" through the practice of pressing, and CGC's hammering of numerical grade on "removal defects".

Nothing personal, and in no way an attempt to insinuate your complicity in these practices.

Who knows, maybe we will one day sit down & chat. Preferably over a beer. thumbsup2.gif

Chris

I wasn't referring to you Mark, but rather I see long time collectors like Jon Berk on these boards, and most (if not all) of his comics he posts is in a Mylar and boarded, even major books like his Action #1,so it just got me to thinking that maybe I should do the same, and as we all know the Mile High Action #1 has never been graded yet. probably just hangin out in a Mylar and a board.. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hi again

Yes, Jon is a TRUE collector and a fantastic person. He also loves to read and smell his books smile.gif

For Jon, a cased book would be a frustration.

If anyone ever does a comprehensive book on the Golden Age era, he is one of the first guys they need to talk to.

Yes, encapsulated books are not for everyone but there is an ever growing market for them. Increasing internet sales from unknown sellers allowing no returns on raw books, coupled with the lack of ability to identify restoration at the miniscule level necessary to qualify for an unrestored book, makes buying professional graded books a good situation. Not a perfect situation but a clear advantage.

One of the best grades to collect is in the FN to VF/NM range because the advantage of professional grading is not yet realized at this level and no financial gain is applied to books at this grade level. In essence, you get a free restoration check, page count, etc when you purchace books at this level and secondly, they look awesome because CGC's grading has evolved to become extremely strict. You can just crack em out and enjoy them. I know a lot of collectors who do just that and are very pleased.

Take care

Mark

I fully agree with your comment about F to VF/NM books. It's exactly what I look for, slabbed 6.0-9.0. They can be great buys. Many dealers already get above guide prices for these books, but not full multiples. Sell a book raw for 80-90% guide or slab it and get 120%. I see it alot.

causing some temporary pain to get long term benefits

OG & I are planning to hit the convention circuit this summer & laying down some well-deserved beatings. Although...I assume that's not what you meant. smirk.gif

sumo.gif

No pian, no gain.

I wasn't referring to you Mark, but rather I see long time collectors like Jon Berk on these boards, and most (if not all) of his comics he posts is in a Mylar and boarded, even major books like his Action #1,so it just got me to thinking that maybe I should do the same, and as we all know the Mile High Action #1 has never been graded yet. probably just hangin out in a Mylar and a board.. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hi again

Yes, Jon is a TRUE collector and a fantastic person. He also loves to read and smell his books smile.gif

For Jon, a cased book would be a frustration.

If anyone ever does a comprehensive book on the Golden Age era, he is one of the first guys they need to talk to.

Yes, encapsulated books are not for everyone but there is an ever growing market for them. Increasing internet sales from unknown sellers allowing no returns on raw books, coupled with the lack of ability to identify restoration at the miniscule level necessary to qualify for an unrestored book, makes buying professional graded books a good situation. Not a perfect situation but a clear advantage.

One of the best grades to collect is in the FN to VF/NM range because the advantage of professional grading is not yet realized at this level and no financial gain is applied to books at this grade level. In essence, you get a free restoration check, page count, etc when you purchace books at this level and secondly, they look awesome because CGC's grading has evolved to become extremely strict. You can just crack em out and enjoy them. I know a lot of collectors who do just that and are very pleased.

Take care

Mark

I agree, professional grading has it's benefits, and I also like to collect in the mid-range, 4.0-8.0 is just fine with me,.. although sometimes it's tough to find the books I want at all in ANY grade...I visit your site quite often, and it's a great site,..although you deal in the higher 9.0 and above end of the market, I like to buy in the 4.0-8.0 section of the market..but there is one book on your site, I'm considering 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree, professional grading has it's benefits, and I also like to collect in the mid-range, 4.0-8.0 is just fine with me,.. although sometimes it's tough to find the books I want at all in ANY grade...I visit your site quite often, and it's a great site,..although you deal in the higher 9.0 and above end of the market, I like to buy in the 4.0-8.0 section of the market..but there is one book on your site, I'm considering 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hi hm,

I used to deal in Fa to about VF for many years and rarely did I come accross NM material. About 60% of my inventory was right at the grades you mention. I switched to extremely high grade books because it seemed I always was getting calls for the stuff and I never had much of it.

Now that more books are being slabbed in the mid grades I am considering doing this again but only for the more scarce books.

My new advertising is geared to raw collections with the idea to at least start in that direction, so don't be surprised to find more of these grades on my site in the future.

Mark

I know that I would love to see an Adventure 75,77,or 78 with off white pages and color stock turn up on your site in the grade that you used to call VG+.I know you used to have the tightest mid-grades around.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif