• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X Men # 35 needs a grade...worth slabbing?

19 posts in this topic

Book has perfect spine, touch of softness at r/h top corner fc....slight printer roller creasing across cover at Spidey's right arm (bit of flecking) and another one across Beast's right knee....bc tanned edge at spine and bottom of bc not nearly as bad as the scan seems to show....they are very faint with the book in hand...PQ is ow/w

WADDAYA THINK?

x35fr.jpg

x35bk.jpg

I think it would grade at CGC 8.5 because I think CGC is tougher on silver age books with tanning then they are on golden age! Could possibly score as high as 9.0 considering that the scan makes the tanning more obvious than it actually is!

WADDAYA THINK?

I presume you intend to sell it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yup Divad. Thinking about selling it as it does not really fit in to my collection although it is a great book. As far as the tanning, I have seen 9.6's with this much tanning (the interior covers are nice on this book, not tanned, it's just a light shadow on the outside)....my ASM #45 CGC 9.6 had a tan line similar on the back cover. I also don't know if they would hammer it too hard for the printer wrinkles....does any one have any CGC books with books specifically downgraded for this flaw?

Roy.

Thinking about selling it as it does not really fit in to my collection although it is a great book. As far as the tanning, I have seen 9.6's with this much tanning (the interior covers are nice on this book, not tanned, it's just a light shadow on the outside)....my ASM #45 CGC 9.6 had a tan line similar on the back cover. I also don't know if they would hammer it too hard for the printer wrinkles....does any one have any CGC books with books specifically downgraded for this flaw?

Well, it's not a 9.6 27_laughing.gif, but I don't think that 8.5 - 9.0 is out of reach at all. My experience with this issue is that it sells just as well raw as slabbed, if not better (unless its 9.2 or higher) So, to answer your question - it's a toss-up, depending on your cash-flow needs 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thinking about selling it as it does not really fit in to my collection although it is a great book. As far as the tanning, I have seen 9.6's with this much tanning (the interior covers are nice on this book, not tanned, it's just a light shadow on the outside)....my ASM #45 CGC 9.6 had a tan line similar on the back cover. I also don't know if they would hammer it too hard for the printer wrinkles....does any one have any CGC books with books specifically downgraded for this flaw?

Well, it's not a 9.6 27_laughing.gif, but I don't think that 8.5 - 9.0 is out of reach at all. My experience with this issue is that it sells just as well raw as slabbed, if not better (unless its 9.2 or higher) So, to answer your question - it's a toss-up, depending on your cash-flow needs 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, not a cash flow issue right now and i did not think the book was a 9.6, even on ebay, tongue.gif but it is a stunning issue. I Owned a CGC 9.4 that Tomega now has and this issue is just as nice IMO...cleaner corners, spine and inks....I have little experience with this flaw phenomenon so i was hoping someone with some slabbed books with this flaw could help out.

Roy.

Well, not a cash flow issue right now and i did not think the book was a 9.6, even on ebay, tongue.gif but it is a stunning issue. I Owned a CGC 9.4 that Tomega now has and this issue is just as nice IMO...cleaner corners, spine and inks....I have little experience with this flaw phenomenon so i was hoping someone with some slabbed books with this flaw could help out.

Roy.

By all means then . . . SLAB IT sumo.gifYou're as good a judge as the rest of us . . . and a 9.4 is sweet coin (the printers' creases are not going to take it out of a 9.4, a 9.6 maybe)

Roy.

By all means then . . . SLAB IT sumo.gifYou're as good a judge as the rest of us . . . and a 9.4 is sweet coin (the printers' creases are not going to take it out of a 9.4, a 9.6 maybe)

I will slab the book and let you know what happens....i think 9.4 is not out of the question on this book....although r/h top corner may give it a tough go...

Really an 8.5, but hey, Heritage just had the All-Flash #1 (E.Church) with MUCH more tanning, an obvious spine ding, and (honestly) it was CGC9.6, so it's such a [embarrassing lack of self control] shoot that you may as well slab it if you're selling... Personally I'd give it 8.5 on a harsh day, 9.0 if in hand and (less) tanning

Good luck

Really an 8.5, but hey, Heritage just had the All-Flash #1 (E.Church) with MUCH more tanning, an obvious spine ding, and (honestly) it was CGC9.6, so it's such a [embarrassing lack of self control] shoot that you may as well slab it if you're selling... Personally I'd give it 8.5 on a harsh day, 9.0 if in hand and (less) tanning

Good luck

I'd like to know why you guys give it a 8.5....don't just throw a grade at it....tell me why. The tanning is not an issue. You can have this sort of tanning in the 9's....

Is a production wrinkle enough to keep it in the 8's? Does anyone have any slabbed books with these defects?

Good luck

I'd like to know why you guys give it a 8.5....don't just throw a grade at it....tell me why. The tanning is not an issue. You can have this sort of tanning in the 9's....

Is a production wrinkle enough to keep it in the 8's? Does anyone have any slabbed books with these defects?

Hmm, I just posted above you about the same book, mine also has the slight production wrinkle running from left to right from where it says "comics group" and angling down straight across towards spideys elbow and off the opening side of the cover. The second one starts from left to right about a quarter inch off the top of the grass crossing over marvel girls middle thighs and ending at beasts thumb. It can only be seen if you angle the book into the light. But there is a resulting color fleck you can hardley see on marvel girls right thigh exagerated by the big photo. Hard to notice with the naked eye though. I also wonder if it effects the grading? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif