• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Action #1 ADDED TO CENSUS

119 posts in this topic

but than is any man in his right mind gonna pay 10 million for a comic book.

um, are you kidding. i can just hear a similar forum from 1980.

"but than is any man in his right mind gonna pay 250,000.00 for

a comic book."

It was resubbed 3 years ago before the pressing issues came to light.Also you can see the before and after pictures when it was a 5.5 and 6.5.There is no improvement in it visually at all.It is the same exact visual appearence.It was simply undergraded as many people here know.There was alot of talk of it being undergraded at the Heritage preview

"but than is any man in his right mind gonna pay 250,000.00 for

a comic book."

Yes inflation will solve that but you have got to give it the time it needs to develope that price platau. No ones going to pay 10 million now,but 10 years from now maybe. There are quite a few private sales of books that have gone up to 250k including publis sales.That platau has been reached.

Thinking that it only took around 25 years for a sale to reach 250k (albeit for only a very few books), it can be translated into it taking about a century before a book sells for 10m. Also, 250k in 1980 dollars is 635k today, and there ain't no books that I know of that have gotten anywhere near this figure.

Thinking that it only took around 25 years for a sale to reach 250k (albeit for only a very few books), it can be translated into it taking about a century before a book sells for 10m. Also, 250k in 1980 dollars is 635k today, and there ain't no books that I know of that have gotten anywhere near this figure.

you may be right, but i remember.....and this is a bit off the topic.....

but i remember having a Sports Illustrated from the early eighties.

the front cover was green background with the names of ball players

and there amazing salaries next to them. nothing else.

Mike Schmitt was at the top of the leader board with a 1 million dollar

salary. the caption was something like "where will it go from here?"

I have a more reliable source.These are in Chucks own words

For example, I sold the "Mile High" ACTION COMICS #1 for $25,000 in 1982

It is on his website under [Tales from the Database] These are Mr Rozanskis own words. MarkS comment is not correct.

I have a more reliable source.These are in Chucks own words

For example, I sold the "Mile High" ACTION COMICS #1 for $25,000 in 1982

It is on his website under [Tales from the Database] These are Mr Rozanskis own words. MarkS comment is not correct.

The Dentist purchased the MH Action #1 directly from Chuck? I did not know that. Had Chuck held on to it after he found the Church collection, or did it make its way back to Chuck's hands before being sold to the Dentist?

I remember reading it was purchased from chuck by J.S and that even Geppi once owned it[or they operated as a team] I really dont 100 percent remember but I did read something along those lines....Than I have been told by others that the dentist got it directly from chuck.But I really do remember J.s saying he onced owned that book. Im gonna look for the article.

Let me start by saying... You have an AWESOME Book!

But I have to wonder whether you and many other forum people don't consider heavily enough that there may be more nice copies out there unslabbed than anyone realizes. I personally remember going to the Phil Seuling conventions in New York in the early 1970's and seeing copies of Action 1 and Detective 27 at quite a few dealers tables, including multiple copies at some of them. Now, maybe many of them were restored, maybe many were lower grades and time has clouded the memories. But I know I've seen several scores of copies at cons and in shops over the years and have a hard time believing they were all the same 20 copies swinging from dealer to dealer. Many people buying them 30 years ago could be in their 50's and 60's now and still having no intention of breaking them out of vaults or store rooms where they have been kept. I'm not saying there are thousands, but 100 Action 1's surviving could easily be possible. It may be that if someone had one better than the Church copy, they may have been tempted to break it out, but maybe not... the dentist hasn't broken his out !!! In collectibles that have much longer histories, like stamps and coins, sleeper copies of rare items have been known to go underground for decades and re-appear to astonish new generations all the time. I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but just trying to put some perspective on the matter. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The Dentist purchased the MH Action #1 directly from Chuck?

I didnt say that.

I believe J.S was the original buyer.

Its been years but im gonna try to find that artical

A1K;

You are correct in your statement here. thumbsup2.gif

Based upon my conversations with both J.S. and Dave, John was the broker in the deal for the MH Action #1. Dave also has the complete MH Action run from issue #1 to issue #22 or #23. I believe he may have purchased them all at the same time, but can't remember for sure since the telephone conversations were quite a while ago.

I believe John was a major player in those days and a lot of the key Church books passed through his hands at the time.

Hi,

Could be true, but maybe not true - census right now has 19 unrestored and 8 restored (1 qualified), so of the graded copies, restored is much rarer ( I know, not more desirable!) - Of course, it could be that many ungraded copipes are ungraded because owner knows they will get a purple label. But maybe not. Maybe same ratio out there. confused-smiley-013.gif