• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature VS Qualified, Batman #608

28 posts in this topic

Hello,

I just bought off of ebay a copy of Batman #608, signed by Jim Lee, CGC grade 9.8. The seller said that it was graded Qualified 9.8 because that the rating that they give to books that have been signed.

Today I saw the same book, being sold by a different seller that is also CGC 9.8 but had a Signature rating.

Why would the same book be rated differently? Will the value of the Qualifed be less?

thanks.

jude,

don't worry about the qualified label, it's just a excuse for CGC to make more money off the their signature series line. if you bought the book for the sig, that's all that really matters. laugh.gif i own a DD 158 qualified CGC NM+ 9.6

bests and welcome to the boards,

pimpy

well, i always say, "buy the book and not the label" personally to me spending over $50 for a book that just came out a few months ago is ridiculous. you just have to ask yourself is the extra $40-$50 or more worth if for the yellow sig label? goodevil.gif

I bought it for the sig, but I also want to make sure I didn't get ripped off. I bought minde for $60 and the Signature one was $99 with a couple of days to go.

Jude......the yellow "sig" label just means that the book was actually signed in front of a CGC representative........so CGC is guaranteeing that the signature is authentic in the slab.

If you bought your book from a reputable source, then you probably don't have anything to worry about. However, there are always people out there willing to fake signatures to try to get higher prices on their items.

You just have to figure out if it's worth the higher price to you to get the CGC authentification (is that a word?) for the signature.

Bug is right about the trusted source of the signature. If your Green Qualified label Batman 608 comes with a Dynamic Forces Certificate of Authenticity, then I'd be confident that the sig on your book is who they say it is from. The Signature Series fetches more on the market due to the stigma attached with the Qualified label. CGC uses it both to denote missing or filled in coupons and offers, certain interior stains or too much ink, and at the same time uses it to note the presence of sketches or signature, which is actually a welcome addition to the book. Lower prices on "good" Qualifieds are a boon to the buyer, but an unfortunate devaluer to the seller.

Thanks guys. Yeah, its coming with the COA saying that its one of 3000 signed.

You "should be cool and the gang" then. smile.gif

cloud9.gif

"don't worry about the qualified label, it's just a excuse for CGC to make more money off the their signature series line"

This is a FALSE statement. 893frustrated.gif

Sorry Supa.....

The reason we use the Qualified label for signatures is that CGC cannot be held responsible for saying the signature is real or not. Imagine the lawsuits. Even with a COA, who knows if someone forged a signature on one comic and puts it with a COA from another. We see this happen with pedigree books all the time, there are a lot of crooks out there who just want to take people's money. In the sports market, forgery runs rampant. Ask our friend Danny D, didn't he go to jail for sports forgery and help ruin that market? 893naughty-thumb.gif When a CGC rep witnesess the signing or it comes straight to us from the artist/writer and it is then encapsulated, CGC knows the signature on the comic is real and so does the consumer. The safer the consumer is, the healtier the market will be. smile.gif

"don't worry about the qualified label, it's just a excuse for CGC to make more money off the their signature series line"

This is a FALSE statement. 893frustrated.gif

Sorry Supa.....

The reason we use the Qualified label for signatures is that CGC cannot be held responsible for saying the signature is real or not. Imagine the lawsuits. Even with a COA, who knows if someone forged a signature on one comic and puts it with a COA from another. We see this happen with pedigree books all the time, there are a lot of crooks out there who just want to take people's money. In the sports market, forgery runs rampant. Ask our friend Danny D, didn't he go to jail for sports forgery and help ruin that market? 893naughty-thumb.gif When a CGC rep witnesess the signing or it comes straight to us from the artist/writer and it is then encapsulated, CGC knows the signature on the comic is real and so does the consumer. The safer the consumer is, the healtier the market will be. smile.gif

I will admit that supapimps statement was false in the context that it was used but the bottom line is that CGC does not just do the sig series for altruistic reasons they also do the sig series to generate revenue...."not that there's anything wrong with that".... 893blahblah.gif

but the bottom line is that CGC does not just do the sig series for altruistic reasons they also do the sig series to generate revenue

Actually I believe that the generated revenue and premium attached to Sig Series is just an unexpected positive side effect to the altruistic reasons for starting up said Yellow label; inasmuch the same manner as CGC 9.6/9.8 are getting outrageous multiples at times...

The reason we use the Qualified label for signatures is that CGC cannot be held responsible for saying the signature is real or not. Imagine the lawsuits.

Sorry, but this makes no sense. For awhile you guys were stating the actual name, but right before your own Sig Series came into being, CGC was only stating "Name Written on First Page" (or similar), likely due to the lawsuit issue.

So tell me again how you could get sued for stating "Name Written on First Page", like you used to do?

Let me guess, you're gonna say that customers are begging for a Qualified, in order to get the actual name on the label?

It only says "name written" and not the persons name if it is not legible, if it is clearly not the persons signature, if there are too many names to fit on the label, or if it is only initials.

If there is a mistake out there, we will be happy to correct it. You will also see "name written" if it is a "no name" (just a kids name, someone not involved with the comics)

Hope that helps clear things up for you joe........

Nope, a name is a name is a name in my book, and I can't understand how having "Alexander Kozlowski Junior" in HUGE RED MARKER on the back cover get a Universal (with no Label notation even), but "Jim Lee" on the inside front page gets a dreaded Qualified.

Then again "Alexander Kozlowski Junior" ain't signing Signature Series comics, now is he?

"Jim Lee" on the 1st page does not get a qualified label, on the cover it does, unless it is mid or low grade. I am sure you have not submitted many comics to CGC because you have all of this mis-information...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nope, a name is a name is a name in my book, and I can't understand how having "Alexander Kozlowski Junior" in HUGE RED MARKER on the back cover get a Universal (with no Label notation even), but "Jim Lee" on the inside front page gets a dreaded Qualified.

Then again "Alexander Kozlowski Junior" ain't signing Signature Series comics, now is he?

There is an Alexander Kozlowski Jr. pedigree, isn't there?

"Jim Lee" on the 1st page does not get a qualified label, on the cover it does, unless it is mid or low grade. I am sure you have not submitted many comics to CGC because you have all of this mis-information...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My mistake, I mis-typed and obviously meant a neat Jim Lee signature on the back cover (Qualified) and old Alexander's scrawl on the front in Red Ink (Universal). Make the worst case possible, I always say.

So what do you say?

Ask our friend Danny D, didn't he go to jail for sports forgery and help ruin that market?

don't you mean "carlos seneca"? mad.gifmakepoint.gif on a serious note sborock, if i saw you and frank miller at SD, and i show my DD 158 CGC qualified NM+ 9.6 to FM and ask if this is his sig on the cover? if he'd say's yes, does that mean i can get the book reholdered with the signature series label? 893whatthe.gifacclaim.gif