• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

QP-how it should or should not affect the Bronze CGC Grade

88 posts in this topic

Other hobbies such as baseball cards have qualifiers for a card being

off centered.

Which companies are those?

The card graders I've seen and used ALREADY use centering as a grading criteria, and anything worse than 55/45 or 60/40 (depending on company), cannot achieve the 9.X and higher grades.

There are NO qualifiers for centering with major sportscard grading companies that I know of, and I think you're confused.

CGC is like a dinosaur compared to sportscards, which have valued centering as much as the collector does, since their inception.

I on the other hand would much prefer a slightly off centered book

in pristine condition 9.8 then a centered 9.4.

Well duh, since the newb label-hounds would pay more for it, and so would you, even though your comment intones that these would somehow be similarly priced (otherwise, why make a comparison?). But we're not talking about what you want, but something that the collector base as a whole can use to determine comic book production quality and eye appeal without a monster scan.

If you want a off-cut CGC 9.8, and according to you, prices would fall for these QP freak-show books, why would you be against it? Seems like more freaky books-per-dollar in your collection, right? How is that a bad thing for collectors?

f2_1.JPG

Yeah, but that's a 7, and we're talking about high-grade. Something that badly centered (and the notation is for OC which is not the exactly same thing as with comics), could NEVER even reach the 9.X level, which was my point in the thread.

There are certain qualifiers, like Staining, Off-Center/Cut, Mis-Cut, etc. but these are given IN ADDITION to the stated guidelines on required centering. A card MUST have a centering of 55/45 or better to get a high-grade with most companies, or it receives the equivalent of a CGC Qualified Grade.

But CGC does not even have a single requirement relating to cover centering, and I think they need to.

Other hobbies such as baseball cards have qualifiers for a card being

off centered.

Which companies are those?

The card graders I've seen and used ALREADY use centering as a grading criteria, and anything worse than 55/45 or 60/40 (depending on company), cannot achieve the 9.X and higher grades.

There are NO qualifiers for centering with major sportscard grading companies that I know of, and I think you're confused.

CGC is like a dinosaur compared to sportscards, which have valued centering as much as the collector does, since their inception.

I on the other hand would much prefer a slightly off centered book

in pristine condition 9.8 then a centered 9.4.

Well duh, since the newb label-hounds would pay more for it, and so would you, even though your comment intones that these would somehow be similarly priced (otherwise, why make a comparison?). But we're not talking about what you want, but something that the collector base as a whole can use to determine comic book production quality and eye appeal without a monster scan.

If you want a off-cut CGC 9.8, and according to you, prices would fall for these QP freak-show books, why would you be against it? Seems like more freaky books-per-dollar in your collection, right? How is that a bad thing for collectors?

f2_1.JPG

THANK YOU!!!!

that’s exactly what i'm talking about. an OC card like this.

me personally, if i we're to buy this card, i would prefer

this 7 card off centered then a 5 that is centered. it just

feels newer. this was the point i was trying to make. but

i was typing fast being that i'm at work and all.

But CGC does not even have a single requirement relating to cover centering, and I think they need to.

AS I STATED BEFORE....

As far as placing more information on the label initially I would be

against that. I think it would cause problems for books the way the purple

label has for restored books. A 9.8 with a QP 6 say would become unwanted

books simply because it READS as not being as perfect.

BUT LET ME JUST SAY.....

i would love for CGC to put all that cr_p on the cover, so all the "have

to have hight grade freaks of the world" will keep there paw's of them

so i can get a hold of them. sumo.gif

and another thing, don't you think your a little worked up this early

in the day? screwy.gif

and another thing, don't you think your a little worked up this early in the day? screwy.gif

Sorry Buck, but I just HATE these people who constantly say stuff like "I'd rather have a CGC 9.9 with bad centering than a CGC 9.4 with perfect QP".

Who wouldn't if MONEY were not an issue? I'd sell that CGC 9.9 for big bucks and buy a truckload of CGC 9.4's. So why the comparison when the retail prices are so out of whack.

Personally speaking, I'd rather own a Mercedes SL600 than a Ford Pinto, even though I would keep neither... better resale value.. know what I mean?

A 9.8 with a QP 6 say would become unwanted books simply because it READS as not being as perfect.

Who cares?

It's obvious, unless you're blind, that these low-QP freakshow books are NOT as perfect as a prefectly centered copy.

Yeah, but that's a 7, and we're talking about high-grade. Something that badly centered (and the notation is for OC which is not the exactly same thing as with comics), could NEVER even reach the 9.X level, which was my point in the thread.

There are certain qualifiers, like Staining, Off-Center/Cut, Mis-Cut, etc. but these are given IN ADDITION to the stated guidelines on required centering. A card MUST have a centering of 55/45 or better to get a high-grade with most companies, or it receives the equivalent of a CGC Qualified Grade.

BHP53.jpg

BHP53.jpg

your my friend..... hi.gif

A card MUST have a centering of 55/45 or better to get a high-grade with most companies, or it receives the equivalent of a CGC Qualified Grade.

What about the above sentence is confusing?

If a card is NOT at least 55/45 to 60/40, it CANNOT receive a 9.X to 10.0 grade - look it up in the grading criteria, and if it matches up and is over those specifications, it receives the equivalent of the CGC QUALIFIED GRADE.

I used to be into sportscards, so I know exactly what PSA and the boys do. You seem to think that a PSA 9 (OC) is somehow not a qualifed grade, when it is.

Centering is a requirement, otherwise it's Qualified. Pretty simple.

yeahok.gif This is what I was addressing with my scans. Just because you want to say that it's the equivalent to a qualified grade with CGC is not my problem. You said what was quoted. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Who wouldn't if MONEY were not an issue? I'd sell that CGC 9.9 for big bucks and buy a truckload of CGC 9.4's. So why the comparison when the retail prices are so out of whack.

gossip.gif

um....money is an issue.

They why do you say stupid things like "I'd rather have a low-QP CGC 9.8 than a perfectly centered CGC 9.4?"

We both know they're not equivalently priced, so why the "I'd rather have" BS? I'd rather have it too, then I'd sell it to some newb spec and buy a box of 9.4's. No comparison, any ANYONE would choose the low-QP 9.8 and then resell it.

yeahok.gif This is what I was addressing with my scans. Just because you want to say that it's the equivalent to a qualified grade with CGC is not my problem. You said what was quoted. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You're right that was poorly worded, as I really had no idea what you guys were talking about.

Those kinds of cards are QUALIFIED and there are no qualifiers on a straight, HG card. It's really the CGC Qualified Grade, as far as sports card collectors view it, without the Green label. Or basically what CGC will be moving towards in the all-Blue label future.

gossip.gif

um....money is an issue.

They why do you say stupid things like "I'd rather have a low-QP CGC 9.8 than a perfectly centered CGC 9.4?"

We both know they're not equivalently priced, so why the "I'd rather have" BS? I'd rather have it too, then I'd sell it to some newb spec and buy a box of 9.4's. No comparison, any ANYONE would choose the low-QP 9.8 and then resell it.

man....because there are tons of people who WOULD rather have a centered

rounded card then a sharp off centered card.

anyways your talking in circles, this statment makes no sence.

"Who wouldn't if MONEY were not an issue? I'd sell that CGC 9.9

for big bucks and buy a truckload of CGC 9.4's."

how can you say 'if money we're not an issue" in one breath, then "i'd

sell" in the next?

foreheadslap.gif