• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TIME TRAVEL

176 posts in this topic

Kids today don't play Dungeons and Dragons anymore? When did it die out? Do they still play any role playing games?

Computers, Playstation, etc...

Actually D&D is alive and well... Sales the last four years have been stronger than any 4-year period since the early 80s...

893naughty-thumb.gif you're thinking about your B&D sales

Kids today don't play Dungeons and Dragons anymore? When did it die out? Do they still play any role playing games?

And don't for get "Magic: The Gathering" and other card games. Personally, I've hated the card game [embarrassing lack of self control] because it took away all the imagination and creativity that went into playing a roleplaying game. Instead, you just buy as many packs as you can to create a "deck" for your character. Not the same at all. I use to love playing Middle-Earth (MERPS for those who remember). D&D was cool, but a bit more complicated.

Actually D&D is alive and well... Sales the last four years have been stronger than any 4-year period since the early 80s...

893naughty-thumb.gif you're thinking about your B&D sales

27_laughing.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

And don't for get "Magic: The Gathering" and other card games. Personally, I've hated the card game [embarrassing lack of self control] because it took away all the imagination and creativity that went into playing a roleplaying game. Instead, you just buy as many packs as you can to create a "deck" for your character. No the same at all. I use to love playing Middle-Earth (MERPS for those who remember). D&D was cool, but a bit more complicated.

Rolemaster was better than any role=playing game ever created. gossip.gif

And don't for get "Magic: The Gathering" and other card games. Personally, I've hated the card game [embarrassing lack of self control] because it took away all the imagination and creativity that went into playing a roleplaying game. Instead, you just buy as many packs as you can to create a "deck" for your character. No the same at all. I use to love playing Middle-Earth (MERPS for those who remember). D&D was cool, but a bit more complicated.

You have no idea what you're talking about. M:tG is not an RPG, so of course it won't be the same. However, you wouldn't believe how many variations of the game can be created or how much imagination, creativity and intelligence some players put into the game. There may be rules and a "limited" pool of cards, but I'm pretty sure there are rules in RPGs, too. Most of the TCGs out there may suck, but I'm sure you could also name more than a few bad RPGs.

I wonder if time truly exists at all

Clocks, hour glasses, any time divice, are only measuring devices.

Time is another name for distance. Future is another name for possibility. History is everything that has happened. Time exists. You can't touch it, its all around, its in our minds.

Time is a mind blowing concept.....especially when u r doing it...

You have no idea what you're talking about. M:tG is not an RPG, so of course it won't be the same. However, you wouldn't believe how many variations of the game can be created or how much imagination, creativity and intelligence some players put into the game. There may be rules and a "limited" pool of cards, but I'm pretty sure there are rules in RPGs, too. Most of the TCGs out there may suck, but I'm sure you could also name more than a few bad RPGs.

Magic is a fantastic game. Plus, if youre playing type 1 there are 6000 different cards to choose from. Thats not a very limited game to me.

Magic is a fantastic game. Plus, if youre playing type 1 there are 6000 different cards to choose from. Thats not a very limited game to me.

Realistically, if you are playing type 1, there are about 100 cards to choose from at most, because all the rest are simply outclassed by one of those hundred. Choosing not to play with Ancestral Recall in your deck is pretty silly...

Now type 1.5 on the other hand... probably 800+ different cards see the light of day there...

Still wish I had gone to Pro Tour Paris or Mainz. Sucks to qualify and then not go... foreheadslap.gif

Rolemaster was better than any role=playing game ever created. gossip.gif

Well, Role-Master was put out by I.C.E. (Iron Crown Enterprises) and was basically the advanced form of Middle-Earth. You can use the Role-Master books with Middle-Earth for a more in depth game. I use to use the Arms Law and Spell Law books for playing since it had a heck of a lot more detail than the basic set for MERP.

Well, I didn't mean to offend the Magic players. However, as I said previously, you're still buying and collecting cards to build up the character or whatever. So basically, if I have enough money then I can just buy as many cards as I want and build up a godlike character. An easy way if not the right way to play. Not saying there weren't people who would cheat at RPGs as well. IMHO I find it more creative for a person to sit down and really research and create a character and its history from scratch than buying cards. I mean, the idea was that you were a part of a living story that grew and evolved. I can't see that with buying cards. But hey, everyone has their thing. I have friends that still play Magic and love it.

Well, Role-Master was put out by I.C.E. (Inon Crown Enterprises) and was basically the advanced form of Middle-Earth. You can use the Role-Master books with Middle-Earth for a more in depth game. I use to use the Arms Law and Spell Law books for playing since it had a heck of a lot more detail than the basic set for MERP.

That's the exact reason we never used MERPS, it wasn't detailed enough. Rolemaster was incredibly complex and versatile.

This talk about the speed of light got me thinking.

Wouldn't you become INVISIBLE once you went faster then light? You'd be traveling so fast that all color and light would simply be gone.

Yep, you would be invisible. Since you are only visible because you absorb and reflect light, if you were going faster than light you would be completely invisible. Interesting question would be whether you would be blind and deaf as well since you are going too fast for sound and light to catch up to you. Basically, yuo'd be in just a dark void. Well, perhaps if your machine was lit up then you would at least see that.

not true. light is moving in every direction at the same time. therefore you would only be invisible to any one looking at you in the direction you are traveling. People on the left and right could still see you from the reflection that hit you sideways. Think about moving thru a rainstorm. Can you go fast enough to never get hit with a raindrop if they are everywhere? Now imagine rain "falling" all around from EVERY possible angle! Youre going to get wet. Just like you will be seen by way of whichever light rays manage to hit you and reflect off of you.

I think. makes sense to me, unless when travelling at C our physics are alterred..

I reread your post and you hit on the other aspect of it. Yes I agree you would be blind, but only directionally. If you ran forward and looked behind you youd see nothing. Turning to the sides you would see stuff, but depending on the angle from straight ahead you see events but the objects are no longer where you are seeing them. but looking ahead youd be fine. Youd be running INTO their reflected photons.

then again, theyd be moving at your speed C+ plus the speed of light. Is 2c even possible? Einstein didnt think even C was possible.