• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOP 10 Worst Things To Happen In The History Of Comics

176 posts in this topic

1. Television

everything else pales.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is it simply TV, or would cable TV/24 hour programming be more accurate?

Most American households had TVs in the 60s when comics were booming. However, I presume that back then people watched a handful of shows a week at the most... people were not glued to the TV 8 hours a day like they are now.

What were the worst things to happen in comic history?

1. The crazy price escalation, perpetuated by the direct market.

2. The disappearance of comics at regular stores, leading to a general lack of exposure for the medium

Umm...television's been around (with great popularity) since the 1950's.. confused-smiley-013.gif

...and I don't think any tv program stopped anyone from buying a comic book.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

True, but people watch more TV than ever, and it consumes a much higher percentage of people's free time. In general, people just don't read **anything** [newspapers, books, comics] anymore. It's much easier to turn on the TV.

1. The crazy price escalation, perpetuated by the direct market.

That would definitely be one of my picks. The Direct Market looked like a saviour, but all those years of rampant price increases, designed to drain the aging fanboys of their paychecks, absolutely killed any "real world" pricing model.

Now, the only people who would pay cover price for a new comic are the true addicts; anyone else just laughs.

1. 1990's speculators and the stores, dealers, auctions houses, and publications that created them.

2. Manufactured Collectibles (i.e. fake variants).

3. The fool who put "Investment" and "Collectible" in the same sentence.

4. The Direct Market and its other-world "rape the fanboys" pricing model.

5. Jim Shooter.

6. 2000's CGC speculators and the stores, dealers, auctions houses, and publications that created them.