• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are white-paged books actually less structurally sound?

31 posts in this topic

Say you have two copies of ASM 100. They are both graded NM+ 9.6 by CGC. One has Cream/Offwhite pages, and one has White pages. Let's pretend that both copies are identical(same centering, cut, etc..). Now...aside from PQ, is the book with Cream/Offwhite pages in BETTER "condition" than it's White paged counterpart? In other words; If PQ was not taken into consideration, would one book be a 9.8, and the other be a 9.4? confused.gif

flamed.gif

Im still puzzled with the question of this thread... If comics start out on white paper, and get progressively browner as they age, How the frack can comics whose paper is STILL white be less structurally sound???

Unless you mean that chemical steps were taken to make the original paper WHITER, thereby weakening the paper structure??

...or am I missing something here? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How the frack can comics whose paper is STILL white be less structurally sound???

Those who know me know I am NO CGC EXPERT! But my take is this:

You have two books: one with OW pages and one with White pages.

1) Both receive identical 9.4 grades

2) CGC factors in the page quality with the overall garde

3) The White page book has a higher page factoring in than the off-white

4) There must be something about the OW book that is superior, page color aside, to the White page book for the to recieve the same grade.

I THINK that is the prevelant thinking??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Or..let's say that CGC uses a 100 point scale. With every defect they knock off an alloted amount of points varying based on severity of the defect. So..let's ASSUME..you have two books both 94's. One book has off-white pages which we'll say they knock off 2 points for, and another 4 points are knocked off for a slightly blunted corner or two. Thus making that a 94 score for the Off-white book. Now the second book has white pages, you can't get better then white pages so NO points knocked off there. It does however have a spine mark, they take off 2 points let's say. It also has blunted bindary corners, take off the standard 4 points as stated above. So now the White paged book is a 94 too. Now let's compare.. the white book has spine mark AND blunted corners..the off-white book has blunted corners and off-white pages which to most isn't really a defect. I'd rather have the off-white book tongue.gif

Brian

Now let's compare.. the white book has spine mark AND blunted corners..the off-white book has blunted corners and off-white pages which to most isn't really a defect. I'd rather have the off-white book

Which would point to the White page book being less structurally sound. Now granted we are talking about VERY SLIGHTLY LESS structurally sound - but I think you just encapsulated it nicely.

Now let's compare.. the white book has spine mark AND blunted corners..the off-white book has blunted corners and off-white pages which to most isn't really a defect. I'd rather have the off-white book

Which would point to the White page book being less structurally sound. Now granted we are talking about VERY SLIGHTLY LESS structurally sound - but I think you just encapsulated it nicely.

He did encapsulate how it probably should be done nicely, but I haven't seen enough consistency to assure me that CGC deducts any kind of standard point values related to page whiteness. If CGC does have standard page quality deductions, I can adjust Murph's numbers slightly--since there are 9.9s with off-white pages, the most they deduct for off-white pages is 1 point, and since there are 9.8s with cream to off-white pages, the most they deduct for that is 2 points. But those are maximum deductions; it could be there are 10.0s with ow pages and 9.9s with c/ow pages. Hard to say since they don't print these policies anywhere.

thanx Murph---now I understand the discussion.

Makes sense that the equally graded white page book would have to have one more structural demerit for them to be of equal CGC grades...but only if page quality is counted in grading. I think I remember discussions here stating there are is least one 10.0 book with off-white pages. That would render page quality meaningless in grading except as an aside to white page collectors, wouldnt it?

Lots of people on here say it's not, however, the only person who counts (CGC) has come on here and said that it's counted in some way..I think. Maybe Steve can come on again and reply? tongue.gif

Brian

Maybe Steve can come on again and reply?

I think that Steve is going to stay clear of the boards for a little bit. He has to prepare for the grilling he's going to no doubt get at the Philly Show!!! shocked.gif

Chris

I think I remember discussions here stating there are is least one 10.0 book with off-white pages. That would render page quality meaningless in grading except as an aside to white page collectors, wouldnt it?

There are two possible scenario:

1) Page Quality doesn't count into the grade - most likely

2) Page Quality does count, but as the 10.0 ow/w example above, it would be in the range of 0.01 to 0.03 CGC Grade demerit or so per PQ level.

Just think about that for a second; we disagree on some CGC 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, etc. comcs, so do you really think it's humanly possible to discern the flaws in a CGC 9.64 compared to a CGC 9.62 comic book?

I don't believe PQ figures into the final grade in the least, but as noted above, even if it does, it still doesn't.

I don't believe PQ figures into the final grade in the least, but as noted above, even if it does, it still doesn't.

Now, there's a staement that answers the question...but doesn't. 27_laughing.gifsmirk.gif