• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DD 168 CGC 9.6 WHITE

74 posts in this topic

I am still amazed the prices people will pay for Bronze age common issues. Does anybody else think that it is crazy to pay 10 times guide for an issue like this or am I just out of touch? The auction is already up to $305 with 6 days to go, I am sure at this rate it will hit $500 plus. Is this just because of the movie hype? I think you would be better off putting the same money into a cgc'd silver ASM or X-men.

Tomega

Another completely dumb auction. It baffles me why anyone would pay this much for a pretty common (even with condition) bronze age book when you can buy (actually rare) golden age books for close to the same price.

Another completely dumb auction. It baffles me why anyone would pay this much for a pretty common (even with condition) bronze age book when you can buy (actually rare) golden age books for close to the same price.

I wouldn't buy a golden age book even if my life depended on it. Can you say fruity? tongue.gif

I wouldn't buy a golden age book even if my life depended on it. Can you say fruity?

I don't think the question is what you would do but rather what a person with common sense would do.

Not everyone shares your point of view. People spend how much they want on what they want. A couple months back, I would spend that much on a USM 1 white cover. Now I'm trying out Golden Age, but I still have doubts whther that is a good thing since, most of those into Golden Age with the big money are probably going to die in the next 10 yrs., leaving those wwho invested in it holding a huge loss..

Re: Speedjunkies (Rick):

You want fruity, just look at your avatar. All BP needs to be instantly transformed into "the gimp" is a strategically placed zipper and a ball gag 893whatthe.gif

Darth makes a point though... in real terms I can see GA dropping off over time.. not so sure there will be a "huge loss" but I think there will somewhat of a drop off in interest. You can already see it happening on "junk" golden age..

Dan

PS... YES a duck about to shoot himself in the face with a gun is much more mature, thank you. acclaim.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

as has been stated many times b4, rarity has often nothing to do with popularity or demand, who wants a non key golden age book like bulletman 4 in cgc 8.0 for $300 for eg?? no one gives 2cents about bulletman but people like elecktra and she is arguably, the most important female villain of the bronze age and definitely the most popular.

dd 168 has established itself as a major bronze key,like it or not

golden age that are not major key issues have been steadily dying in the [!@#%^&^] the last decade, there was a hype up phase with golden age after the early 90s silver boom when the major golden age palyers decided golden age prices needed an upward price correction

the post stating that most golden age collectors will be dying in the next decade pob has a fair bit of accuracy to it. what happens then when they try to unload their collections and no one wants them @overstreet values? sell wholesale to the dealers for a fraction of guide value for all their scarce (but non in demand) golden age books

Not everyone shares your point of view. People spend how much they want on what they want.

Right, and I never said people do. I know common sense is a scarcity amongst the majority as ebay has shown. My point is if someone wants to spend $500 on a rather common bronze book then they can be my guest. It's a free market afterall, sticky fingered dealers have to make their money from someone. It makes me want to get in the game since I have a fairly decent source for high grade bronze.

couple months back, I would spend that much on a USM 1 white cover. Now I'm trying out Golden Age, but I still have doubts whther that is a good thing since, most of those into Golden Age with the big money are probably going to die in the next 10 yrs., leaving those wwho invested in it holding a huge loss..

It's a generalization. Some golden age books will always have historical merit such as old EC's, timelys, or key marvel/DC's of that era. EC books are closely tied to the comics code and the senate hearing of the 50's which was a MAJOR historical event for comics. That's the only GA I collect anyways.

I'm used to thinking of everything in Gaines file terms. Ie, for roughly double the cost of that DD #168 I could get a Gaines file 9.2 Tales from the crypt or Vault of horror book smile.gif. That's why anyone who would pay $500 for a bronze that is massively abundant seems way out of wack to me. It's comic inflation, hold onto your drawers it's 1992 all over again.

who wants a non key golden age book like bulletman 4 in cgc 8.0 for $300 for eg??

eh... I'd rather buy bulletman 4 for $300, than ANY bronze age book at the

same price.

the post stating that most golden age collectors will be dying in the next decade pob has a fair bit of accuracy to it. what happens then when they try to unload their collections and no one wants them @overstreet values?

I'll be buying those books like crazy grin.gif

That's why anyone who would pay $500 for a bronze that is massively abundant seems way out of wack to me. It's comic inflation, hold onto your drawers it's 1992 all over again.[i/]

Hey, I think it's worth it to me and I really don't care about scarcity of titles or issues numbers that I'm not the least bit interested in, be it Golden age, Silver Age or whatever age. I like Daredevil and I like Elektra. It's different strokes for different folks.

I personally think that DD168 is undervalued in the guide.

I'll take a copy of Bulletman #4 in VF for $300 over a copy of Daredevil #168 in NM+ for thwe same price without giving it a second thought. Daredevil #168 is such a common book in high grade as per the CGC census (104 copies in NM and another 32 copies in NM+ condition). There is over a total of 450 copies of this book in the CGC census already. Without a doubt, there are literally thousands of copies out there in high grade. I've still got my 5 copies which I personally handpick off the comic shops when they first came out and I haven't bother to send any of them into CGC yet. It's true that this book can be considered as a SEMI-KEY for the Bronze Age, but it is far too common since collectors was already well aware of Frank Miller by the time this book came out. As a result, this is one of the Bronze Age books which would be more common in high grade than some of the other bronze books.

The CGC census on the Bulletman #4, on the other hand, shows only 2 copies graded up to this point in time. The highest grade so far is only an 6.5, so I don't know where you are going to find an 8.0 copy. In the long run, I strongly believe that Golden-Age books will retain their values more than newer more modern books including the Bronze books. I must admit, however, that it is far easier to speculate on newer books since both CGC and the dealers want us to focus on this hype and mania. It is so much easier for everybody to make money on these types of books because they are so plentiful and easy to replace. The business model for the Golden-Age market for CGC, dealers, and speculators is much more difficult because the majority of these books in mid to high grades are locked up in collections. For the long-term collectors/investors, the real returns will continue to be in the older books. Just look back on what happened to the Black & White books, Valiants, Image, etc. Compare how these books have done with how the Golden-age books have done over the last 10 years. New collectors have short-term memories and their focus seems to rest on only what is hot in the short-term.

P.S. A Daredevil #168 is like going to MacDonalds while a Bulletman #4 is like going to a fine dining restaurant. To each, there own taste. goodevil.gif

For the long-term collectors/investors, the real returns will continue to be in the older books. Just look back on what happened to the Black & White books, Valiants, Image, etc. Compare how these books have done with how the Golden-age books have done over the last 10 years. New collectors have short-term memories and their focus seems to rest on only what is hot in the short-term.

I agree..and here's an easier analogy. Bronze and Modern books are the "tech" stocks. that tend to inflate wildly in the short term but crash horribly later on. Golden Age (and to some degree silver) are the Blue Chip stocks.

I like Daredevil and I like Elektra. It's different strokes for different folks.

I personally think that DD168 is undervalued in the guide.

I don't care, get fleeced if you want to.

rarity has often nothing to do with popularity or demand, who wants a non key golden age book like bulletman 4 in cgc 8.0 for $300 for eg?? no one gives 2cents about bulletman

I'm going to second this notion. I mean, who or what the heck is Bulletman and why would I pay $3, let alone $300, for any issues? The only reason I would even pay a dime for a copy would be to flip the book to some GA collector since I couldn't care less about this title that I didn't even know existed until reading this thread (and if I, a collector for more than 20 years, haven't heard of him, you can bet your bottom dollar, euro, pound sterling or markka that 99.9% of the Wizard crowd and most younger collectors in general haven't heard of him! Think about what that means for your potential "investment" return in the future). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As for DD #168, is $500+ overpriced for this book? Yeah, probably...I surely wouldn't buy a copy expecting it to appreciate in value in the future...I'm sure there are still many nice raw copies out there and sooner or later I'm sure we'll get that elusive 9.8 copy (probably a few, in time). However, I'm a huge Miller fan, Elektra is one of my favorite characters, and this book is probably one of my top 10 favorites of all-time, so would I consider paying up for a pristine copy? Perhaps...well, certainly before buying any issues of "Bulletman", in any case. Personally, I don't enjoy reading superhero books published before the late Silver Age...I find them to be, by and large, way too hokey. And, if a Gen X'er like me finds them to be hokey, you can only imagine how lame Generation Y must view them...heck, you don't need to imagine, just look at Rickdogg's response above! makepoint.gif

Gene

Just as certain Golden Age keys will maintain their value long term, the non-keys will fall to the wayside. My Golden Age Dells and roy rogers Westerns have done absolutely nothing for me on eBay and they are priced about half of Os guide. No one will buy them for more than $5...

Only time will tell which ofthe modern/bronze books will be consisdered keys in the long term..dd168, even if plentiful, will be considered a key by newer collectors. As for the person that has their 5 copies bought off the shelf, I will bet that none of them are CGC 9.6. Remeber that Golden Age 9.6 and Modern 9.6 are very different...

and if I, a collector for more than 20 years, haven't heard of him, you can bet your bottom dollar, euro, pound sterling or markka that 99.9% of the Wizard crowd and most younger collectors in general haven't heard of him! Think about what that means for your potential "investment" return in the future.

By your rationale Golden age books should have dropped off the comic collecting radar a long time ago because everyone I know who was alive to read comics back in the 50's is in the 65-70+ age range. GA books don't just appeal to old geezers hooked up to dialysis machines. I'm a youthful 25 but the horror & war comics of that era appeal to me and a lot of younger people I know. Most of the hardcore buyers of GA seem to be around the late 20's to 40's range as it has always been.

Also, what's "hot" right now means diddly squat for the future. Most new comic collectors are fickle creatures. They will bandwagon what's skyrocketing and leap off during the plummet like clockwork. I remember X-men was relatively hot in the early 90's as well but plummeted considerably during the mid 95-99 era (when I bought most of my Uncanny collection) and skyrocketed again due to movie hype. Most of the bronze madness "mysteriously" coincides with the movie hype. That spells trouble in my mind. Just like how everyone dogpiled the Valiant/Image bandwagon. I honestly believe those ultimate spidey #1's will be good to wipe my butt with in a couple more years.

Most speculators seem to be playing a game of high stakes hot potato. I just feel sorry for the poor schmuck who pays top dollar for all those bronze/modern books and gets stuck with a rapidly decreasing "investment" after the movie hype goes away.