• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DD 168 CGC 9.6 WHITE

74 posts in this topic

The pedigree requisite for one original owner can now only come from ...you guessed it...modern books! Any golden age-silver age that one amasses today will only be through secondary sources.

I still hold out hope that yet another 1st-owner GA collection will be discovered. There must be more out there. The prospect is exciting.

I still hold out hope that yet another 1st-owner GA collection will be discovered. There must be more out there. The prospect is exciting

if anything, I was hoping it would be you! But alas, Golden Age collections at this point probably have been passed down to a child (would the one-owner pedigree requisite still hold in this case? Probably not...but would like opinions) and I'd be excited with you unless the the GA collector was a rabid Western or Dell movie comics fan, then I would weep like there was no tomorrow! tongue.gif

I still hold out hope that yet another 1st-owner GA collection will be discovered. There must be more out there. The prospect is exciting

if anything, I was hoping it would be you! But alas, Golden Age collections at this point probably have been passed down to a child (would the one-owner pedigree requisite still hold in this case? Probably not...but would like opinions) and I'd be excited with you unless the the GA collector was a rabid Western or Dell movie comics fan, then I would weep like there was no tomorrow! tongue.gif

Well I was kinda hoping it would be me, too, but didn't want to say that! blush.gif

I hear you on the Western and Dell movie comics. Wasn;t there a forum member around here that was having some problems selling these? wink.gif

(would the one-owner pedigree requisite still hold in this case? Probably not...but would like opinions)

I think it would. Otherwise all of the original owners would have to be alive when the collection was discovered because on their death the collection would have been passed on to someone.

I think the key is the source of the collection, that is, one can safely say "All of these books were bought off the newsstand by the same collector and sotred as a collection." Otherwise, one buying a Chruch book - well that book is no longer owned by the orignal collector and has sometimes passed hands many times, but it will always be a Church.

(edited to add last paragraph)

I hear you on the Western and Dell movie comics. Wasn;t there a forum member around here that was having some problems selling these?

I'm am currently using my GA copies as TP, one moldy foxing ridden, silverfish bitten one ply sheet at a time! tongue.gif

I'm am currently using my GA copies as TP, one moldy foxing ridden, silverfish bitten one ply sheet at a time!

OH...I guess the pages of your Defenders 1 have been used up by now! 893offtopic1.gif

I think it would. Otherwise all of the original owners would have to be alive when the collection was discovered because on their death the collection would have passed on to someone.

Ahh...like a "collection administrator"? Wouldn't it be morbidly macabre to exhume the collector's remains just for photo ops with their newly pedigreed collection? Like straight out of Tales from the Crypt.....

Wouldn't it be morbidly macabre to exhume the collector's remains just for photo ops with their newly pedigreed collection? Like straight out of Tales from the Crypt.....

Saaayyyyyy! I think you got something there! Gaines would have loved it!

But alas, Golden Age collections at this point probably have been passed down to a child

When the GA collector dies, that is most likely when his/her collection will surface. I don't think many collections will have been successfully passed down and kept 'in the family'.

I also think you are wrong to assume that most GA collections have left their original owners, I am betting there are plenty of folks out there still alive and kicking (in their 60's/70's) with some old books stashed away.

Otherwise, one buying a Chruch book - well that book is no longer owned by the orignal collector and has sometimes passed hands many times, but it will always be a Church.

Ahh, but, in the same fashion, will a Cage book always be a Cage book? That is the real question...

I am betting there are plenty of folks out there still alive and kicking (in their 60's/70's) with some old books stashed away.

I'm betting their kids sold off their collections to put them away in the shoddiest cheapest nursing homes available. I'll have to team up with Donut and engage the local senior citizen community in a "Antique books Road show" of some sort.

I'm betting their kids sold off their collections to put them away in the shoddiest cheapest nursing homes available.

Are you speaking from experiance here? Where did you say you got those old Dell's from? blush.giftongue.gif

I am betting there are plenty of folks out there still alive and kicking (in their 60's/70's) with some old books stashed away.

I'm betting their kids sold off their collections to put them away in the shoddiest cheapest nursing homes available. I'll have to team up with Donut and engage the local senior citizen community in a "Antique books Road show" of some sort.

Don't laugh - I'm sure it's been done before.