• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My complaint to 35 cent variant seller

35 posts in this topic

I think what you mean is that NONE sumo.gif of us are overstreet contributors because the overstreet prices are all figments of his imagination anyway 893naughty-thumb.gif

Yep, those all look vastly overgraded by the seller based on your scans, with the one exception being the MoKF.

The CGC grades look reasonable, maybe even a tad high on one or two, but at least in the ballpark. Seller was not even close.

I know part of the frustration here is that these are not exactly the most liquid of books...

I get a Spidey 122 in the mail that was supposed to be Fine and it's really VG-, it's no big deal to send it back. There are dozens of other copies available in that grade range and it takes me less than a week to find another at a reasonable price...

I get a 35c variant MoKF in the mail that was supposed to be Fine and it's really VG-, I am pretty hesitant to send it back. I may NEVER see another copy in any grade. So, though I am chapped about paying too much, I also am not about to part with the book...

Somebody offers to sell you their Tucker, you're a little more likely to bite your tongue about exaggerated condition...

I think part of the problem may have been the gap in time. If I as a seller received a note saying the buyer had gotten his books and all is well, then weeks later the buyer wants a refund, I would not entertain such a notion. Had you examined the books upon reciept you could have informed seller of disagreement in a timely manner. What was His policy on refunds? Did it allow you time to get the books slabbed? In a transaction both buyer and seller have certain responsabilitys and it seems,to me, niether of you practiced good ebay trading tactics. goodevil.gif. If the seller offered any sort of refunds they would be based on your grading skills, not a 3rd party

I think that the idea of some consideration on future deals would have been the appropriate suggestion for the seller to agree to do.

Obviously seller way overgraded. However, with the large time lag a return wouldn't make sense. And a refund, if an option, should have been requested shortly after receipt of the books.

But having said that, I wouldn't be too eager to buy from that seller again if I had bought the overgraded books, so consideration on future deals wouldn't be worth much unless some other really scarce books show up from that seller again.

You guys are definitely right about the time lag. It is not realistic to expect a monetary refund, nor do I really wnat one at this point. Lighthouse made an excellent point. I return these and I don't know where I'm getting the next one from, if I ever come across one again. The more popular ones will constantly be out there: SW 1, IF 14, IF 15, the ASMs 169-172 - but the others will be scarce.

I was just hoping for the seller to come up with a "Yes I did overgrade. Maybe we can work somethingout in store credit in a future purchase." The seller took the stance instead, which I didn't expect, that "CGC is wrong and we don't agree with this company so that's all there is too it. And by the way, CGC will be the downfall of the hobby if more people thought like you".

I think the very fact that I said anything shocked them since they were not used to being questioned on their grading. Thier initial response was geared to sway a newbie over to their way of thinking. They were not prepared for me, the Acolyte of the Slab...

If that seller comes up with any more 35 centers, I would probably not buy again from them on principle. But I'll definitely warn fellow variant collectors that their grading is way off compared to CGC's.

Lighthouse made an excellent point.

Shhhhhhhh! Keep it down man... you'll ruin my rep!

I'm just chapped that Diamond cancelled all orders on Cherry Prime... lousy Welz-hating bastiches.... mad.gifmad.gif

Darth, I hate problems like this, no one ever really wins, except CGC.

If you won/bought the books, received them as Fines, and thought they were G/VG, which in no way looks like a Fine, you could/should have called him on it then. An email to tell him the lot appears to be overgraded and you want some money back, etc..

Once you accepted them as "your books" and sent them off, the seller was off the hook. We have all bought books, liked them, then saw something wrong with them a few days later. It happens.

If CGC gave you a VF grade on some of the books would the seller get more money from you?? Since they were nicer than advertised??

I say once you send them off to them, you are accepting whatever grades they give you, regardless of what grades you bought them at, or think they should be?

If the seller gives you a CGC grade guarantee, well that would be a whole new issue. I don't think that happened here.

Don't hate me, I still love you!

Don't hate me, I still love you!

Good points Stuart. I realize the folly of some of my complaints.

received them as Fines, and thought they were G/VG, which in no way looks like a Fine,

You'd think the seller would have. I knew they were G/VG but my point in waiting was to get CGC's grades to back up my opinion. Otherwise, I would have just come off as some picky buyer who may appear to be just getting out of the deal for other reasons. The argument would have escalated beteween seller and myself and boiled down to them saying they were fines and me saying they were VGs with no end in sight and no resolution. Now I have CGC backing up my opnion that they are overgrading. You'd think with this evidence that the seller would acquiesce and conceded that thier grading was off.

If CGC gave you a VF grade on some of the books would the seller get more money from you?? Since they were nicer than advertised??

Good point here. Definitely not, by way of giving them more money for that same book, but you can bet I would REWARD them by buying much more of their stock in the future. That is where the seller gets the compensation you are speaking of. Good sevice, quality books and buyers return with more money. That's how I stay in business.

but in the end the seller did not give the CGC guarantee. I am just surprised by sellers giving the line about "we have 25 years of grading and experience in the comics business" and they look like amateurs when it comes to grading. And people complain about my hype...sheesh...

btw - did you send me my DD 132 and 133 var set yet? I don't know if I just buried it in my ton of incoming packages. If you did, no problem! Thanks for chiming in and giving it a different perspective. My conclusion at this point:

I was too late in trying to get anything from the seller. I should have acted earlier. But my intention was never to return the books for a refund. I'm cool with the end results now. Seller can't grade lower end books and I will not be shopping with her again.

I am sure you have those books. I think you sent me an email or left feedback about them???

Do you want a slabbed Howard the Duck # 3 variant?? The guy wants 49.00 for a 9.4. I thought that was too much money.

I am sure you have those books. I think you sent me an email or left feedback about them???

Do you want a slabbed Howard the Duck # 3 variant?? The guy wants 49.00 for a 9.4. I thought that was too much money.

HTD 3 30 cent is quite possibly the easiest variant ever to find. I've seen literally a long box full of them. $4.90 for one is probably right.

I probably do have then Stuart. Thanks. As for the HTD 3 - I have one for sale now up on eBay. I concur with Donut and say that it may be the easiest 30 cent variant to find, even in NM. I think Eternals 1 is pretty easy to come across as well.