• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #15

28 posts in this topic

Cover #15 introduces the concept of the key issue to the poll with Giant Size X-Men #1. One of the most consistent artists through the Silver and Bronze Ages, Marvel picked Gil Kane to produce the cover for what is arguably the most successful revamp in comics history. Thanks to jeffreykli for the nomination and the following quote about the cover to GSX #1. thumbsup2.gif

Obviously a key issue, with the introduction of the new X-Men. But more than that is the way in which they introduced the new team. The concept of a breakthrough cover to introduce a new character has been done before, Detective #38 for example. But, the new team breaking through a picture of the old team was something new and innovative. I think it's one of the best Bronze covers because it's become an iconic and often imitated cover. - Jeffreykli

GSX1.jpg

Not one of my faves, but completely understood why it is such an iconic cover for others.

While I'm in the neighborhood: Thank you, jbud! Enjoying the contest results. popcorn.gif

I don't really think this cover is that great. I think this got a lot of votes because it is an important comic. I guess we will have to see if Hulk 181 gets any votes....

I remember buying this one off the stand at the neighborhood drug store, so it holds great importance for me. It is a great cover for the reasons already stated - and very iconic - but it's lost some of its appeal over the years simply because it's so overexposed and familiar. That, and I gotta admit to not being a huge Gil Kane fan (though the Cockrum inks really help here).

Cover #15 introduces the concept of the key issue to the poll...

I do like the cover, but I wonder if the wording above would have been more accurate if "concept" was replaced with "bias"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't like the SCS to the top right corner though!! 893whatthe.gif

Every time people whine about the "DC fanboys" I am going to point to this one. There is nothing special about this cover other than the fact it's a key issue. The rendering is mediocre at best.

Cover #15 introduces the concept of the key issue to the poll...

I do like the cover, but I wonder if the wording above would have been more accurate if "concept" was replaced with "bias"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't like the SCS to the top right corner though!! 893whatthe.gif

But Mike, SCS doesnt exist. wink.gif

Obviously this poll is slanted heavily towards DC Fan Boys who have unanimously praised ever DC cover and expressed their distaste for anything Marvel. It's embarrassing.

This cover is a classic for a REASON. The new team busting out of the cover is exciting and essential to get the point across to the reader that this isn't your fathers book anymore. The shocked expression of the original team at seeing this "rogue" and "dangerous" new group is perfect. This cover is so well admired that there have been countless copies and homage’s in this decade alone. Why you'd argue that this book is here simply for "key" factor is beyond me if not a bit hateful.

Obviously this poll is slanted heavily towards DC Fan Boys who have unanimously praised ever DC cover and expressed their distaste for anything Marvel. It's embarrassing.

No joke, and it'll be even more embarrassing when 7 to 9 out of the Top 10 will be DC covers, with the majority drawn by Adams.

The DC bias is strong on these boards.

This cover is a classic for a REASON. The new team busting out of the cover is exciting and essential to get the point across to the reader that this isn't your fathers book anymore. The shocked expression of the original team at seeing this "rogue" and "dangerous" new group is perfect. This cover is so well admired that there have been countless copies and homage’s in this decade alone. Why you'd argue that this book is here simply for "key" factor is beyond me if not a bit hateful.

I can think of a dozen X-Men covers from the bronze age that are better than this one. It has nothing to do with "DC bias" and everything to do with this individual cover. The 141? Great. Same with 142, 131, 108, 135, 140, ect, ect, ect. This cover is simply nothing special other than the fact that it's the "new team".

No joke, and it'll be even more embarrassing when 7 to 9 out of the Top 10 will be DC covers, with the majority drawn by Adams.

The DC bias is strong on these boards.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I wouldnt be so sure about that. grin.gif

I can think of a dozen X-Men covers from the bronze age that are better than this one. It has nothing to do with "DC bias" and everything to do with this individual cover. The 141? Great. Same with 142, 131, 108, 135, 140, ect, ect, ect. This cover is simply nothing special other than the fact that it's the "new team".

I tend to disagree. The "new team" breaking out of a comic cover is dynamic, interesting and action packed. Look at how colossus is pointing at you and running at full speed. You KNOW he's going to kick your @ss! The art gets this point across. The shock the old team displays in the background is classic. Almost as if they knew a new age of bad boys and anti-hero's are finally upon us and they were caught of guard. It's just a great cover pure and simple and countless renditions over the years would point to my favor.

141 is interesting, 142 is shocking, 135 is ominous.. I don't feel 108, 131 or 140 is exceptional in anyway other then as filler covers between some classics. But again, that's my personal taste and in no way the view of others.

In contrast, ask any collector with an appreciation of comic art his or her opinion on GS XMEN 1 and I would be willing to bet 90% would gush all over it. That's all I'm going to say about this before it becomes a full out war against DC and Marvel fans.

Please...this forum has WAY MORE Marvel collectors than DC collectors, and the nominations and voting were open to anyone and everyone, no matter how horrid their tastes. There are certainly many more Bronze Age DC cover collectors than Marvel, because frankly, on the whole, DC's covers were better.

Adams, Wrightson, Kubert, Kaluta, The Studio...many of the DC artists were also producing art portfolios at the time, and it's no coincidence that the guys doing art for art's sake (portfolios) are representin' in the top 20 list!

I tend to disagree. The "new team" breaking out of a comic cover is dynamic, interesting and action packed. Look at how colossus is pointing at you and running at full speed. You KNOW he's going to kick your @ss! The art gets this point across. The shock the old team displays in the background is classic. Almost as if they knew a new age of bad boys and anti-hero's are finally upon us and they were caught of guard. It's just a great cover pure and simple and countless renditions over the years would point to my favor.

141 is interesting, 142 is shocking, 135 is ominous.. I don't feel 108, 131 or 140 is exceptional in anyway other then as filler covers between some classics. But again, that's my personal taste and in no way the view of others.

In contrast, ask any collector with an appreciation of comic art his or her opinion on GS XMEN 1 and I would be willing to bet 90% would gush all over it. That's all I'm going to say about this before it becomes a full out war against DC and Marvel fans.

I meant 133, not 131. 131 sucks. crazy.gif

Obviously a key issue, with the introduction of the new X-Men. But more than that is the way in which they introduced the new team. The concept of a breakthrough cover to introduce a new character has been done before, Detective #38 for example. But, the new team breaking through a picture of the old team was something new and innovative. I think it's one of the best Bronze covers because it's become an iconic and often imitated cover. - Jeffreykli

I agree Jeff, particulary with respect to GK's classic penciling of the old team - the X-Men I grew up with. A splendid job by both Kane and Cockrum! 893applaud-thumb.gif Also, a good example of a cover that I would have bought multiple copies of off the rack on the visual strength of the cover alone, regardless If I knew that the old team was being replaced . . . for eternity sumo.gif

No joke, and it'll be even more embarrassing when 7 to 9 out of the Top 10 will be Key or Semi-Key Bronze Age Marvels. foreheadslap.gif

No joke, and it'll be even more embarrassing when 7 to 9 out of the Top 10 will be Key or Semi-Key Bronze Age Marvels. foreheadslap.gif

Shocking as it may seem coming from a Marvel Zombie like myself . . . 4 of the 5 covers I voted for were DC's! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gifangel.gif

Shocking as it may seem coming from a Marvel Zombie like myself . . . 4 of the 5 covers I voted for were DC's! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gifangel.gif

That's totally and utterly impossible, this poll is slanted heavily towards DC Fan Boys and the DC bias is strong on these boards. No true Marvel Zombie would ever vote for a DC...or is the Tomato Box collection merely the red-headed stephchild to the Peach Box collection, which holds all the DC's?!?! 893whatthe.gif