• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #15

28 posts in this topic

There are certainly many people Bronze Age DC cover collectors than Marvel, because frankly, on the whole, DC's covers were better.

On average, I might agree, but we're not talking averages, but only your TOP 5 Bronze Age covers, and I think anyone could trot out 5 Marvel covers that would stack up against the best 5 from DC.

If you're talking the Top 10,000 cover votes, then maybe DC wins, but we only got to vote for 5.

That's totally and utterly impossible . . . No true Marvel Zombie would ever vote for a DC...or is the Tomato Box collection merely the red-headed stephchild to the Peach Box collection, which holds all the DC's?!?! 893whatthe.gif

27_laughing.gif Alas no, the only DC's in the Tomato boxes were Jack's, when I followed his departure from marvel with the New Gods etc. I think I still have a full run of both Kamandi and The Demon! cool.gif

Shocking as it may seem coming from a Marvel Zombie like myself . . .

Yeah right... real Marvel Zombie. You're a Born Again DC Zealot if I ever saw one. foreheadslap.gif

C'mon man, I had three copies of Black Goliath #1! 27_laughing.gif

Obviously this poll is slanted heavily towards DC Fan Boys who have unanimously praised ever DC cover and expressed their distaste for anything Marvel. It's embarrassing.

This cover is a classic for a REASON. The new team busting out of the cover is exciting and essential to get the point across to the reader that this isn't your fathers book anymore. The shocked expression of the original team at seeing this "rogue" and "dangerous" new group is perfect. This cover is so well admired that there have been countless copies and homage’s in this decade alone. Why you'd argue that this book is here simply for "key" factor is beyond me if not a bit hateful.

I can think of a dozen X-Men covers from the bronze age that are better than this one. It has nothing to do with "DC bias" and everything to do with this individual cover. The 141? Great. Same with 142, 131, 108, 135, 140, ect, ect, ect. This cover is simply nothing special other than the fact that it's the "new team".

I tend to disagree. The "new team" breaking out of a comic cover is dynamic, interesting and action packed. Look at how colossus is pointing at you and running at full speed. You KNOW he's going to kick your @ss! The art gets this point across. The shock the old team displays in the background is classic. Almost as if they knew a new age of bad boys and anti-hero's are finally upon us and they were caught of guard. It's just a great cover pure and simple and countless renditions over the years would point to my favor.

141 is interesting, 142 is shocking, 135 is ominous.. I don't feel 108, 131 or 140 is exceptional in anyway other then as filler covers between some classics. But again, that's my personal taste and in no way the view of others.

In contrast, ask any collector with an appreciation of comic art his or her opinion on GS XMEN 1 and I would be willing to bet 90% would gush all over it. That's all I'm going to say about this before it becomes a full out war against DC and Marvel fans.

i always thought the "old" team was reacting to whatever threat is on the other side of the "fourth wall," and the "new" team was taking that challenge head-on. not some reaction by the old to the new group.

but, interpretation's what makes a book like this interesting. even if it's not in my own personal top 100 from the BA.

and this board certainly has a higher percentage of DC fans than the percentage of DC fans in the general comic collecting population, but i don't think there's any real overwhelming majority of either.

the sheer number of DC Adams books may be due to the DC fans not having clear-cut favourites, while the Marvel fans all tended to vote for the same books. confused-smiley-013.gif

i voted for - iirc - 2 Marvels and 3 DCs, including two books that i would bet got less than 5 votes total between them. divad please note that this "5 vote" total is separate from the chrappy 'Tec i nominated that's already placed in this "contest"

Yeah right... real Marvel Zombie. You're a Born Again DC Zealot if I ever saw one. foreheadslap.gif

HAD! HAD! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!! frustrated.gif

i voted for - iirc - 2 Marvels and 3 DCs, including two books that i would bet got less than 5 votes total between them. divad please note that this "5 vote" total is separate from the chrappy 'Tec i nominated that's already placed in this "contest"

27_laughing.gifhi.gif

HAD! HAD! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!! frustrated.gif

sorry.gif Yes, I sold them raw for $20 each - all 9.2 - 9.6, but nonetheless, not worth slabbing sorry.gif

But my point being: You really HAD to be a MZ to buy three copies of that book! 27_laughing.gif