• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #14

22 posts in this topic

Entry #14 introduces two 1sts into the voting. One its the first entry for a Man of Steel Cover and its also the first multiple artist entry with Neal Adams second cover in the Top 20. Thanks to ComicBookGuy for the nomination and the following quote. For the record I don't hate Superman tongue.gif

Jason, here's my take on Action 419. I think you've stated you hate Superman, so try not to get too nauseous over the gushing tone here ...

This cover to me absolutely captures the spirit of Superman, the first and still the greatest superhero, by my favorite comic artist of all time: Neal Adams. I would say Superman #233 is runner-up for my favorite Superman pose cover, but #419 is a more polished work by Adams at his peak. The combination of the great drawing, perspective, and the Kirby-esque photo background to me makes this my favorite comic cover. I especially like this cover cause Superman is happy. He's just enjoying BEING Superman. He's not involved in some camp escapade or some lame battle or some scene where Lois is jealous in some absurd new way. He is just being Superman. Very unique for a superhero cover when you think about it.

- ComicBookGuy

Action419.jpg

Wow - I really like this one!

I've gotta get one of these into my collection!

I'm partial to photo covers & I enjoy the coloring introduced into the cars far below (just a nice little detail). Neal's Supes looks great. His style seems a bit less detailed than usual, but it works for me.

Classic image that just pops off the page. I gotta get me one of these. It's deceptively simple and it strikes me more as an example of a superhero "illustration" rather than a cover that tells some sort of story or let's you know what the book is about inside. But dammit, if I saw that on the stands I would've bought it...

Classic cover with a nice contrast of the bright, colorful superhero against the b/w/gray photo background. There are very few real cool Superman, Action bronze age covers, but this is definitely one of them and has been appreciated for years on ebay! thumbsup2.gif

It's a nice Superman shot but I never liked photo backgrounds on ANY of my comics. When artist try to blend reality with fictional characters it always turned out hokey. This cover being no exception. I look at it and I am instantly reminded that Superman doesn't exist in the real world. The escapism is immediately lost.

The one nice redeeming quality is the speed lines are tastefully done and the autonomy seems to be right. Many artists try to just draw the chest over-shadowing the stomach regions and I'm happy to see this wasn't the case on this cover.

I'm a minor Adam's Superman fan but in my opinion there are better covers out there to show off his talent during the Bronze Age. (233 comes to mind)

I know there are a lot of good DC covers, but if BS tripe like this is getting into the Top 11-20 positions, I can imagine it'll be a DC sweep in the Top 10.

Yeah, cause the GS X-Men 1 cover is soooo much better. 27_laughing.gif

I know there are a lot of good DC covers, but if BS tripe like this is getting into the Top 11-20 positions, I can imagine it'll be a DC sweep in the Top 10.

If GS X-Men was in the Top 10, your whining *might* have a point. But it is easily on par, or better, than this -eating-grin Supes pasted on an ultra-cheesy photo background.

If GS X-Men was in the Top 10, your whining *might* have a point. But it is easily on par, or better, than this -eating-grin Supes pasted on an ultra-cheesy photo background.

I don't particualarly like this cover, though I don't think the GSXM 1 is any better. I don't think either one belongs in the top 20. confused-smiley-013.gif In the end though, it really all just comes down to personal opinion.

I've started liking this cover a bit more, but am wondering what the story is about...

Anyone remember?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Not really, but vaguely recall that the story was pretty typical for the period: very nice Murphy Anderson inks on top of Curt Swan pencils, but the story itself wasn't anything special (once O'Neil stopped writing, things kind of meandered). When I first read it as a back issue years ago, I decided Adams probably drew the story independent of the contents of the issue, and then they stuck the cover copy on ("Wipe that smile off your face..." etc.) to kind of force-fit it into the plot of the issue.

Vince,

I disagree. Perhaps you're just again playing the devil's advocate (don't you get tired of that?) Certainly not one of my faves, but I don't consider the Metropolis photo cover even a bit cheesy. I love the incidental coloring of downtown traffic, which combined with the bright paste-up of Supes renders it almost a gray-tone look, with much the same effect. I like what Neal does with the perspective on Supes, and I think the tag-line added after the fact was probably a knee-jerk response to integrate The Man of Steel's exaggerated grin into the story line . . . hi.gif

i've always thought this Adams cover was one of his more pedestrian efforts. the cover blurbs - typical of SA through BA poopy DC editorial execution - don't help

In the end though, it really all just comes down to personal opinion.

You are correct there, but it was inevitable that this whole poll would turn into a Marvel vs. DC slanging match. foreheadslap.gif

I'm in total agreement.

Please God strike me dead now so I don't have to live with being in agreement with JC.