• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Colorist Commission?

25 posts in this topic

please do not color this piece. Fiction house art is hard to find. Plus each piece of art is unique. there is not another one like it. Coloring can sometimes be reverse but it is quite expensive and some color residue is still present at the end.

Hi!

I'm off to a rehearsal and won't be able to reply again til later

but I wanted to say thanks for presenting decent reasons to re-consider

coloring this piece... However, since the piece would also be

handled by another artist laying down his skill wouldn't

that 'count' as unique and original? How could it be less desirable to

showcase two artists work?

Dan

You could go with my approach... have a copy colored and then have both pieces put into a custom frame together so that you can see what the original artist saw and what the colorist saw within that same page. It has a great visual effect and gives you the best of both worlds.

You also have to consider the idea that even the best colorist may color the page in a way that you personally don't like. If you do it on the original you can't take it back. If you give them a copy and don't like their version then you can just make another copy and give another colorist a try. It's one thing to buy a piece that is already colored because you already like it, but with a black and white piece you have to imagine what it's like. What if your imagination is the same as the colorists?

Just a couple of thoughts.

You know - it's your art and you can do with it as you like.

But if I were looking for a particular piece of OA and I found out that someone had colored it - I'd be really disapointed.

The value of the original pages would be reduced drastically if you had them colored. I recommend getting scans of them colored, so that you will have both the original pages and colored versions.