• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey, I just ran into a guy that....

48 posts in this topic

There I was mindin' my own business when out of the blue this guy starts talking to me about the pile of 30 comics he's had since he was a kid. Happens to mention he has the 1st appearance of wolverine, you know the one where he's battling wendigo? Anyway, he started the conversation 'cause I had a few old Daredevil comics with me, which I read at the Gym when I go on the stepper. I asked him if he had any idea what the comic was worth and he said no. I then told him a Near Mint comic could be worth in excess of $2000.00. (I didn't tell him about the $19,000.00 one that recently sold)

He told me that he didn't think it was Near Mint, whatever that is 'cause I've read it a few times. Then he goes on to tell me about some old X-Men comics he also has with Thunderbird in them. Hoo-boy. I asked him if he thought he had an X-Men 94?

He said he wasn't sure.

But, he's going to bring them all to the Gym tomorrow to let me have a look at them. I'm just a bit cautious on the news, 'cause he also mentioned he had some X-Factor comics. So, when I put two and two together, I'm probably going to see the Hulk 181 re-print with some old X-Men comics with Thunderbird in them. But no 94. mad.gif

I'll keep everyone informed on what I see tomorrow. And, oh yes, he's interested in selling.

So....what's it gonna be?

A find? 27_laughing.gif

Egg on my face. blush.gif

Stay tuned for a "comic deal in progress." grin.gif

My feeling is that if he actually does have a Hulk #181, you will be hard pressed to get a good deal on it since you mentioned a NM copy is worth a couple of grand. It's hard to explain to a non-collector (without sounding like a con artist) that even minute flaws DRASTICALLY reduce the price. frown.gif

you will be hard pressed to get a good deal on it since you mentioned a NM copy is worth a couple of grand. It's hard to explain to a non-collector (without sounding like a con artist) that even minute flaws DRASTICALLY reduce the price

Yep. you've blown this one nina. grin.giftongue.gif

Yep. you've blown this one nina. grin.giftongue.gif

Oh yeah? Watch me. grin.gif

Still think it's a Hulk re-print.

Why?

Only 'cause he's got X-Factors. The origininal Hulk 181 comic was out long before X-Factor was in print. Remember, he doesn't know the difference. All he knows is he's got Wolverine's 1st appearance.

Remember, he doesn't know the difference. All he knows is he's got Wolverine's 1st appearance.

Just the fact that he's savvy enough to know what comic is wolverine's 1st appearance is reason to believe that whatever he has will be overvalued or junk.

Only 'cause he's got X-Factors. The origininal Hulk 181 comic was out long before X-Factor was in print.

It does sound like he has a bunch of late 80's books, there was a Hulk/Wolverine reprint (Hulk 181) around then and also Classic X-men which reprinted and retold a lot of the 70's X-Men tales (with Thunderbird).

I hope you didn't get the guys hopes up too much Nina with all your talk of $2K. goodevil.gif

Just the fact that he's savvy enough to know what comic is wolverine's 1st appearance is reason to believe that whatever he has will be overvalued or junk.

Or maybe he's trying to play Nina as the chump, and he's working his low-grade copies to unwitting suckers.

Or maybe he's trying to play Nina as the chump, and he's working his low-grade copies to unwitting suckers.

893whatthe.gif

Wow, thanks for the heads-up. Guess I'll have to tread carefully.

I hope you didn't get the guys hopes up too much Nina with all your talk of $2K. goodevil.gif

I hope so too. I did make it very clear though, in order for it to be worth that much, it would have to be pretty much perfect.

He knows it's not, so maybe it'll be ok.

You know....the idea of going to the gym isn't to pick up guys...just thought I'd let you in on that tidbit of info tongue.gif

Brian

I know Brian, it just happened and I wasn't looking for it. I explained it to my wife and she understood - Bless her understanding heart. cool.gif