• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybody stocking up on mags?

34 posts in this topic

Maybe I need to start looking again after giving up awhile back. When I was actively searching on eBay, it rarely showed up and the couple of times when it did, usually sold for $100+.

Jim

Awe4one,

True, the KDK warehouse is rife with Famous Monsters and Playboys, But NONE from 1953 through 1957, and they NEVER had any quantity on FMs #1-25!!

They'd have isolated issues in the #30s, 40s, 50s, etc. in quantity but NONE stockpiled pre-#26!! These are as rare as hen's teeth in high grade and high grade in an FM is FINE. Just have a talk with any schooled Famous Monsters collector. They're TOUGH on their grading and look at these oversized items, where flaws stand out with greater attention, like the experts grade pulps.

If CGC started grading FMs, and they graded them as they do comics, there would be a grading discrepency between those grades and the way the hardcore FM collectors that have been collecting these mags for many decades, grade their FMs (EXTREMELY strict) to be ironed out for universal acceptance from both comic collector and FM collector factions.

Hammer,

You're probably right on the lower numbered FMs and especially on the older Mads as they've been actively collected for decades. There will be some magazines that are truly rare in high grade. My point was there will also be some that have been considered uncommon in high grade, that will explode once CGC starts slabbing. Skywald comes to mind. And Koch isn't the only dealer with mounds of older magazines sitting untouched in their warehouse. Not to mention the remindered(?) dealers that still have significant quantities in their warehouses as well (a guy in Philly comes immediately to mind).

It will be interesting to see what happens....

Jim

And Koch isn't the only dealer with mounds of older magazines sitting untouched in their warehouse.

Here is Koch's current catalogue. Is Koch waiting for CGC to fo magazines or am I mising something?

Koch Catalogue

But am willing to try so will call them this week for some mags!

doesnt that book show up pretty often on eBay?

When I heard it was very tough to find, I tried that same day and saw two of them for sale. I didnt jump on them since it seemed to be a lot more common than it was thought! Or was it just a coincidence??

Hardly, that book has shown up like once in the past 8 months. Virtually never in high grade.

And Koch isn't the only dealer with mounds of older magazines sitting untouched in their warehouse.

Here is Koch's current catalogue. Is Koch waiting for CGC to fo magazines or am I mising something?

Koch Catalogue

But am willing to try so will call them this week for some mags!

Joe just sold me 3 high grade vicki's that he found after looking for them in his warehouse for like 8 months. I'm not sure even he knows what's in there, or more appropriately where in there.

Pov, With or without slabbing, two years ago, high grade (VF or better) Famous Monsters of Filmland magazines #s 1-25, especially the giant issues (square bounds), and pre-1957 Playboys (especially issues with Monroe or Mansfield, which command a premium amongst Playboy collectors) were just as difficult to acquire as today. I know. I've been buying and looking for select high grade issues of these mags for speculation for the past 3 years among other magazine size items (bedsheet 1926 to 1931 pulps, etc.).

What do you think a SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN #2(1968) would go for if graded NM/MINT 9.8 by CGC? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

some insufficiently_thoughtful_person would probably pay over 1K for it, when that particular mag is common in HG. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gifgoodevil.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Pov, With or without slabbing, two years ago, high grade (VF or better) Famous Monsters of Filmland magazines #s 1-25, especially the giant issues (square bounds), and pre-1957 Playboys (especially issues with Monroe or Mansfield, which command a premium amongst Playboy collectors) were just as difficult to acquire as today. I know. I've been buying and looking for select high grade issues of these mags for speculation for the past 3 years among other magazine size items (bedsheet 1926 to 1931 pulps, etc.).

Ham, can't speak to the Playboys but that was a faux pas on my part. The "two" years ago just didn't register and I was just thinking "years ago". 893frustrated.gif