• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what happened to David Mazzucchelli

34 posts in this topic

Growing up reading in the Copper Age he along with Perez, Zeck, Byrne, Sienkiewicz et al were some of my favorite artists. His Batman stuff and especially his work on Daredevil always stuck with me. Anyone know what hes on now.

I also did a search on ComicArtFan and not alot of his stuff up for sale, or in personal galleries confused.gif

from wikipedia

"David Mazzucchelli is a comic book artist and illustrator. He is best known for working with Frank Miller on Batman: Year One and Daredevil: Born Again.

Mazzucchelli received his BFA from the Rhode Island School of Design and started working in comics in the early 1980s. After several years working for Marvel Comics and DC Comics, he abandoned the superhero genre to focus on other themes. He published three issues of his own independent anthology, Rubber Blanket. With artist Paul Karasik, he illustrated an adaptation of Paul Auster's City of Glass, published by Avon Books in 1994. He has since contributed short pieces to a number of alternative comics collections."

Beyond that, I know he contributed to the New Yorker for a while, doing several covers.

Hey guys thanks for the info - he was one of my fav artists especially like the DD stuff he did after Miller left.

Thanks for all the info - too bad he's not drawing in the field anymore, maybe one day a project will get him to come back 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Hey guys thanks for the info - he was one of my fav artists especially like the DD stuff he did after Miller left.

Thanks for all the info - too bad he's not drawing in the field anymore, maybe one day a project will get him to come back 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I believe he is working on something...a very personal project, his magnum opus. I heard about this second-hand, so take it with a grain of salt.

Felix

He's put out a couple graphic novels in the past few years, one called "Big Man" and another I can't recall at the moment. I haven't read them, but the art style was a departure from the understated smooth lines he did for Marvel/DC.

I hope so.

Like you I was heavily into his Daredevil work back in the 80's.

It's a shame he didn't work more.

I was wondering how condition will play a factor in the final price. Any big spenders (me not being one) willing to give their honest assesment?

Not that I am a big spender...but on a Mazz cover from the Born Again story with a nice image of DD in the middle? I don't see condition, such as I see it having any effect whatsoever. I see some glue from where the logo was, and a couple of other small things, but the paper looks flat, and the main art portion looks all original with no stats covering any of the actual art.

If you are in the market for a piece this nice, with this much history, you are not passing on it because of (what I see as) minor condition issues.

Chris

I know a lot of people who don't like their OA obscured by logos, word balloons, etc., but I'm not one of them. I wish the logo, title and corner art were still attached... that the cover hadn't been revised for the TPB cover. However, there is only one, and it is still the best cover in the Miller/Mazzuccelli run IMHO.