• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what happened to David Mazzucchelli

34 posts in this topic

Santa, this is what I want for Christmas:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6621009678

893whatthe.gifhail.gifWOW

Chris while I understand that on a piece of this magnitude, especially considering the small amount of Mazz art that had been made available to the public, the condition is secondary or a non-existant factor for many. I have 2 questions for anyone to chime in on.

1. Thoughts on having the tape stains professionally removed??

2. Why do you think this cover made it to EBAY?

If this belonged to me, I would seriously consider recreating the "Daredevil" logo and "God and Country" title and re-attach them to the cover. I think it would look better that way.

As to why it's being sold now, your guess is as good as mine. I was told by Spencer Beck that this splash from DD #232 would have to have a minimum offer of $15K for Mazzuchelli to consider selling it:

http://www.theartistschoice.org/scans/mazz/DD232p22(30).jpg

I think the cover is much more significant and a better piece over all than the splash, and I don't think the cover will hit $15K. But I could be wrong.

Frank Miller DD covers will cost a minimum of $20K, so what's this one "worth"?

If this belonged to me, I would seriously consider recreating the "Daredevil" logo and "God and Country" title and re-attach them to the cover. I think it would look better that way.

As to why it's being sold now, your guess is as good as mine. I was told by Spencer Beck that this splash from DD #232 would have to have a minimum offer of $15K for Mazzuchelli to consider selling it:

http://www.theartistschoice.org/scans/mazz/DD232p22(30).jpg

I think the cover is much more significant and a better piece over all than the splash, and I don't think the cover will hit $15K. But I could be wrong.

The point is though, do blue chip pieces of OA like this really fetch what they are "worth" on eBay? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You can always have the overlay replaced with all the titles, price, etc....Several collectors have done this with great results...

Yeah, have a nice overlay done and have the glue profesionally removed and the page would be in better shape from a preservation standpoint and look better than it would if it still had the original paste-up logo, etc.

Why do you think this cover made it to EBAY?

I'm wondering the same thing. I would think that this piece must have been passed on several times before hitting the bay....

1. Thoughts on having the tape stains professionally removed??

A professional restorer can clean this up for a minimal amount of cash...especially compared to the ultimate sale price. When it was done I don;t know if anyone would know it was stained...or at the very least it would be diminished in depth.

2. Why do you think this cover made it to EBAY?

Spencer Beck at "The Artist's Choice" represents Dave, and Dave probably came up with the minimum he wanted for the piece and just put it on Ebay at that minimum and let it fly. That is my guess.

Chris

The point is though, do blue chip pieces of OA like this really fetch what they are "worth" on eBay?

Most pieces on Ebay seem to go on the low end of their value range, but when a piece is something people don't usually see or a piece that is only the 2nd or 3rd piece ever to show up publically from a particular run or artist then you will see an all out bidding war.

People said the same thing about the great Thor v. Hulk battle page from JIM #112 that showed up on Ebay 2 years ago. No panel page from that book had ever passed $4k and this page sold for $10k. all it takes is 2 collectors to freak out and BAM record sale price.

When you combine desire, nostalgia, and perceived (or actual )scarcity it doesn't matter what the venue is for sale...if you post they will bid.

Chris

Why do you think this cover made it to EBAY?

I'm wondering the same thing. I would think that this piece must have been passed on several times before hitting the bay....

Not a bad assumption, but not necessarily true, either. Mazzucchelli's cover for BATMAN #405 (part of the "Year 1" storyline) also sold in an auction format. The auction was private, held by Spencer Beck off-Ebay, but it was an auction nonetheless.

Maybe because this is a lower profile cover than the BATMAN one, it's on Ebay?

Not a bad assumption, but not necessarily true, either. Mazzucchelli's cover for BATMAN #405 (part of the "Year 1" storyline) also sold in an auction format. The auction was private, held by Spencer Beck off-Ebay, but it was an auction nonetheless.

Maybe because this is a lower profile cover than the BATMAN one, it's on Ebay?

I don't know if it is necessarily "lower profile." I'll go on the record as being someone that would waaaay rather have the DD cover if I had the choice between the two. Not that they're both not great, but the Born Again run is a main reason why I love comics.

I know a lot of people who don't like their OA obscured by logos, word balloons, etc., but I'm not one of them. I wish the logo, title and corner art were still attached... that the cover hadn't been revised for the TPB cover. However, there is only one, and it is still the best cover in the Miller/Mazzuccelli run IMHO.

I'm with you on that.

It does loose something with the titles missing, looks a bit bare I guess.

Still a wonderful piece that I'd give my right arm to own though, I've always had a soft spot for that cover and Muzzuccheli's work.

Went for a pretty hefty price too.

I now have an answer to my question: $9175.

Felix,

I think that this price isn't really reflective of the value. I would think it could have gone higher if this was either a private sale, the seller would do paypal or credit cards or it was offered through Heritage. Still an impressive amount, but not really sure whether it's an accurate gauge of the value.....

just my opinion....for what it's worth smirk.gif

Felix,

I think that this price isn't really reflective of the value. I would think it could have gone higher if this was either a private sale, the seller would do paypal or credit cards or it was offered through Heritage. Still an impressive amount, but not really sure whether it's an accurate gauge of the value.....

just my opinion....for what it's worth smirk.gif

I agree. Take note of the fact that the two highest bidders (by far) were dealers. Clearly, they saw more room for profit.

I was hoping the cover would got for "stupid money" and motivate Mazzuchelli to open the vaults for more BORN AGAIN and even (gasp) YEAR ONE material. I think we'll all have to wait longer at this point.