• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

Here is a picture from that glorious night. This is way back when I still had a mustache and Matt parted his hair down the middle.

actioncollection.jpg

Your market reports in CBM were always highlights of the issue(which is QUITE a compliment,as you know)to me.Glad to hear from you once again.Welcome to the boards(the NEW CBM)...GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Here is a picture from that glorious night. This is way back when I still had a mustache and Matt parted his hair down the middle.

actioncollection.jpg

Your market reports in CBM were always highlights of the issue(which is QUITE a compliment,as you know)to me.Glad to hear from you once again.Welcome to the boards(the NEW CBM)...GOD BLESS...

Thanks jimbo! I enjoyed writing them. The last ten years I have just been a collector again, and I really enjoy it. I sell things from time to time to make room in the house and to buy more comics! grin.gif

Looks like a decent Action 12 peeking out from that pile.GOD BLESS...

they are all actually nice. white pages and solid. Mosty around VG, but who can complain about that? Most of them have the code in red that you can see on the #1. It was a distributor marking of some sort.

Please forgive my forwardness but if you ever tire of your mid grade copies of Adventure Comics #75,77,or 78 please shoot me a PM...GOD BLESS...

p.s. I would imagine being just a collector again is nice.What 10 books do you wish you had kept over the years?

Please forgive my forwardness but if you ever tire of your mid grade copies of Adventure Comics #75,77,or 78 please shoot me a PM...GOD BLESS...

p.s. I would imagine being just a collector again is nice.What 10 books do you wish you had kept over the years?

1. Detective 27

2. All-American 16

3. All of the Action #1's that I sold

4. The Gaines File #2 copies (several complete runs)

5. Single Series #20

6. My Adventure run

7. My run of Batman 1-500

8. Detective 31

9. Detective 35

10. Suspense 3 that I bought at a dead show in Oklahoma City

frown.gif

I will keep you in mind on the Adventures!

Since we now know offically who you are.......................

yay.gifWelcome to the Boards! yay.gif

Glad to have you here. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks Fuelman. Always glad to be in the company of comic lovers. Especially Golden Age Geeks! headbang.gif

1. Detective 27

2. All-American 16

3. All of the Action #1's that I sold

4. The Gaines File #2 copies (several complete runs)

5. Single Series #20

6. My Adventure run

7. My run of Batman 1-500

8. Detective 31

9. Detective 35

frown.gif

I will keep you in mind on the Adventures!

I've never even put my hands on any of those.I hope things are progressing well down in New Orleans.A very dear friend(now deceased) brought me back an alligator poor boy from mardi gras 15 years ago.That city will always hold a fond place in my mind.GOD BLESS...

Welcome to the boards! Those pictures are unreal - wow!

I'd be very thankful for any information you might be able to share

about the Disney comics in the Crescent City collection.

hkp

Sounds interesting... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The show was so dead, that I just left my booth and walked around. There was this guy at a small table with a half box of comics. I started flipping through it and lo' and behold, there was a Suspense #3. I took it out and looked through it to see if it was complete. It was. I asked him how much he wanted and he said $600. I nearly broke my wrist getting my wallet out. As I walked back to my booth, Harley and Mike Goldman saw me with it and swooped down on me trying to pry it from my hands. Since the show was so awful I ended up selling it to Mike. I had sellers remorse the entire long drive home. Haven't had another one since.

Welcome to the boards! Those pictures are unreal - wow!

I'd be very thankful for any information you might be able to share

about the Disney comics in the Crescent City collection.

hkp

I only had a crappy camera at the time of the purchase of the collection unfortunately, so the few pictures I have are not very good. At any rate, the collection consisted of mostly Disney comics. However, there were a few stunning golden age DC comics in there as well. Most notably was the most amazing copy of Batman #11 that you have ever seen. Pristine in every way. There were also some Actions, and the three cool Superman comics #14, 21 and 23. All were extremely high grade.

The disney's were astounding. They looked like they had just rolled off the presses. The crown jewel of the collection was a Walt Disney Comics and Stories #1 that was flawless. I don't know what it would slab for, or if it has ever been slabbed, but in my opinion it was 9.6 with an argument for 9.8. All of the comics had bone white pages.

I'll see if I can dig up any of those old crappy pictures. Steve Geppi bought the entire collection and to my knowledge he still has them all.

I heard after Bill Sold the Shop in the 90's he wold hold "Conventions" at his house because there were no comic shows at all in New Orleans. By the time I moved down there, they were no more, but I did buy some Bronze horror from him and it was a nice deal all around.

Thanks for the kind words CentaurMan! Do you remember what books you bought and if they were mail order or at a show? I love reliving memories like those.

My real name is Win Murray. I bought a number of More Funs from you, primarily via e-mail, a few years ago. The biggest book was your More Fun 73, which was in beautiful shape, other than having a small bindery chip filled at the bottom of the spine. If I remember correctly, you sold your More Fun 52 to Ian Levine, didn't you?

Are you coming up to Chicago for the con this year?

My real name is Win Murray. I bought a number of More Funs from you, primarily via e-mail, a few years ago. The biggest book was your More Fun 73, which was in beautiful shape, other than having a small bindery chip filled at the bottom of the spine. If I remember correctly, you sold your More Fun 52 to Ian Levine, didn't you?

Are you coming up to Chicago for the con this year?

Hey Win! I remember it well. You are correct Ian did buy the MF 52 and some others from my run.

I will indeed be in Chicago this year, and I can't wait! cool.gif

Here are some Crescent City collection pictures. there were 200 or so books total. Many of those are not pictured below. Sorry about the quality, just had a crappy camera at that time. The last two pictures show John Snyder with the WDC&S #1 just after Geppi bought them and the the Mile High Whiz Comics #1 which just so happned to be laying on Snyder's desk raw. No bag, no board, no mylar, nothing. So we had to take a shot of it!

Scan0030.jpg

Scan0031.jpg

Scan0032.jpg

Scan0033.jpg

Wish I would have had scans of the WDC&S #1, NY Worlds Fair '39 and '40, Batman 11 and the other DC's.

The average grade for the entire collection was 9.4, There were some 9.2's and plenty of 9.6's. And even a couple 9.8's.