• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do Modern Ripof...Errr "Recreation" of Past Covers Bother You?

69 posts in this topic

. Directors are constantly using teqniques as tributes to their favorite films. Tarantino does it all the time.

Actually, bringing up Tarantino doesn't make me rethink my position at all. What he does really bothers me since 99% of the people who go to see Tarantino's films don't have the foggiest idea that they're really watching a glorified mash-up.

I remember counting "homages" to like a dozen films in the TRAILER for Kill Bill (from the Shaw Brothers lurid Master of the Flying Guillotine to the classic Mifune Samurai film Samurai Assassin.) That drives me nuts.

As for "why credit?" It's the right thing to do. That's why. If you've got enough respect for someone to redo their design, you should have respect enough to credit them as your source.

I don't see how it's disrespecting them. In fact, I would say it shows a great amount of respect to pay homage to something another creator did like that. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, as they say

I'm tempted to just say "thems the breaks"

if you don't look close enough for the miniscule writing that acknowledges the original creators, you don't see it either

If I'm walking down the street and a guy is playing a song written by Led Zeplin, but I don't realize that, and I as I walk by I think to myself "hey, that guys pretty good", is he '"disrespecting" Led Zeplin?

so all your asking is for a miniscule, barely legible naming of the artist that the original cover was drawn by?

Yes, and it's called RESPECT, and even a little of it goes a very long way.

so all your asking is for a miniscule, barely legible naming of the artist that the original cover was drawn by?

Yes, and it's called RESPECT, and even a little of it goes a very long way.

Interesting that you would make that statement. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My Personal Troll is like magic - wherever I am, he appears!
Have you copyrighted that title, since you seem to use it so frequently? Your like a one-trick pony, who isn't very good at that trick.

If its an obvious homage to a previous cover I don't think its necessary to give create for the original, such as the poses from Action Comics #1 and Amazing Fantasy #15. Both have been used many, many times over the years and is obvious to even the casual reader to homage of other originals. Now for the more obscure covers then yeah, it would be respectfully to give a little shout out to the original artists.

The classic cover of a hero holding someone whose died - used with the death of Phoenix, the death of Supergirl in the first crisis, and countless otehr comics covers - is actually a reference to a famous statue, I believe of mary holding jesus after he's come off the cross. I think it might be by michaelangelo (though I could be wrong)

but I would not expect John Byrne or George Perez to put "with respect to Michaelangelo" on the cover