• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicBook Shop Then and Now......</>

65 posts in this topic

Where I live there are about 9 or 10 comicbook shop, but I wonder how many were there years before.From the 50's 60's,70's,80's and on have they grown or droped off.Does anyone know or is there a census of grow in the business. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893blahblah.gif

Here in Phoenix, they've dropped considerably in the past 3 years. We used to have some great shops here that have closed down recently. One of the big guys had to consolidate his stores (he had 3). And the big comic chain, Atomic Comics, only sells new stuff. I stick to eBay, but you're pretty much guaranteed to pay market rate for everything. The mom and pop shops would sell 50% of guide sometimes. I got an X-men 94 for 50% guide back in '96.

50% of the local comicshops would love to find another proprietor/partnership to take over their inventory, subscriber base, goodwill & assets. With the advent of eBay, local comicons, mail order, weekend fleamarkets, there are more efficient ways to sell comics/toys than a brick & mortar shop open 7 days/week. U can run buy ads in the local Buy & Sell or Nickel Ads paper & run around chasing collections down. 893applaud-thumb.gif

A comic shop is a losing proposition here in Southern California. Most business rents are astronomically high, the profit margin is low, and the customer base varies greatly since CA is such a diverse place. Most comic shops I used to frequent have closed down or moved location to a more economical location. The one shop where I have my pull list at right now survives only because most of the other shops around him have died off. It's sad, but this is the way the market has evolved. I think in the future comics may be entirely mail order or subscriber based with little brick and mortar distribution mainly through mainstream bookstores.

What shop do you go to, Lofwyr?

A small shop on the border of san bernadino/Los Angeles county called "Comic Madness"

The other ones I go to semi-frequently are in Pasadena (comic factory) and once in awhile a trip to the famous Golden apple on Melrose.

How about yourself?

Southern Cali has some sorry comic shops. Ebay is the way to go! ....or is it cleaned and pressed? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i remember when i first met r-dogg on here, he told me he lived by MHC and if i wanted anything.....my response? you all should know blush.gif893whatthe.gif893blahblah.gif893naughty-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893Funny-thumb.gif

i remember when i first met r-dogg on here, he told me he lived by MHC and if i wanted anything.....my response? you all should know

I've lived here for 11 years and i've never set foot in that Mile High comics "superstore" even though it's only about 35 miles away. Does anyone know if their prices are more "reasonable" at the brick and mortar locations?

What shop do you go to, Lofwyr?

A small shop on the border of san bernadino/Los Angeles county called "Comic Madness"

The other ones I go to semi-frequently are in Pasadena (comic factory) and once in awhile a trip to the famous Golden apple on Melrose.

How about yourself?

Universal Comics in Studio City. Not that I buy much. Mostly bags and boards. But I still pick up Wonder Woman. He doesn't have many back issues, but he's a good guy, and he's big on service.

-- Joanna

i remember when i first met r-dogg on here, he told me he lived by MHC and if i wanted anything.....my response? you all should know

I've lived here for 11 years and i've never set foot in that Mile High comics "superstore" even though it's only about 35 miles away. Does anyone know if their prices are more "reasonable" at the brick and mortar locations?

Their prices are crazy. WAYYY OVERPRICED FOR JUNK "NM" books makepoint.gif

Rick, you haven't been buying from MHC again have you ? frown.gif

Brian

Nope, went there once and never came back. The books were in horrible condition with hefty price tags.

I've been to Amazing Comics in S.F., was very underwhelmed. Little store, not a whole lot of selection. You have to ask for anything you're looking for. You say the words "Near Mint" they immediately claim to not have any and tell you the chances of finding any are slim.

Brian

I've been to Amazing Comics in S.F., was very underwhelmed. Little store, not a whole lot of selection. You have to ask for anything you're looking for. You say the words "Near Mint" they immediately claim to not have any and tell you the chances of finding any are slim.

Brian

And the relly sad thing? This place is about IT if you are looking for anything with age in San Francisco.

I noticed that. Went to 3 different shops including Amazing. The other 2 only had current books and backissues where the oldest book was the whole Spider-man clone saga [!@#%^&^]. There were at least 12 stores in the YellowPages, are they all that way?

Brian

Brian

that's amazing adventures, that's where i had to pick up greggy's since they don't ship to canada. i still the think the owner of that store is a arse, rude, hell i thought i was in zoo york for a sec. didn't even leave me positive feedback that fokker. 893naughty-thumb.gifmakepoint.gifrantpost.gifboo.gif