• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Of My TMNT #1

8 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I'm a newbie to this forum and grading in general. I have a comic which I'm thinking of sending in to CGC to get graded. Wanted to post a scan of it hear and see what I could expect (realize looking at a scan vs. actually seeing the comic is quite a bit different, but wanted to get a rough idea).

To my naive eye I can say the following. I bought the comic back in the late 80s. I never read (already read a reprinting), and basically kept it in storage. There are no tears on it, however there are some little crease lines on the cover (most are under 0.25").

Anyway, have a look and let me know what you think. I'm thinking of selling on ebay, but we'll see (this comic's been w/ me for so long!) smile.gif

Here's a picture:

tmnt_1_nobag.jpg

It is a bit difficult to judge a book by the cover alone, but here goes:

The top edge is too dark to make a judgement on - perhaps it was too close to the top of the scanner edge. If that top edge is clean, with no marks or stress and the upper-right corner is as sharp as the lower-right corner, you have the beginnings of a very sharp book.

The spine shows a few visible stress points and the lower-left corner looks like it has a slight impact ding/stress & perhaps some color-rub loss about 1" in. It's hard to tell if that top-left corner is sharp or soft (which can make a grade-point or so of difference).

If your back cover is clean & stress/damage free & your staples are snugly in place, you have a rock-solid book.

Just by judging the scan - I'd say a safe 8.0 for sure. If you have no additional defects & the top edge is sharp, you may be moving towards a 9.0. I think it would be tough to go much higher than that.

Just my opinion!

Thanks for sharing. Very, very nice book!

Wow, already w/ quick replies! Thanks.

Highvoltage---thanks for the thorough evaluation (considering it's just from a scan). Yeah,I just want to get an idea of how this book is. I'm thinking of sending it in to get evaluated, but like I said I'm new to CGC and the whole grading situation.

Does it really help w/ selling to have it CGC certified? I'm all scared of sending it in the mail! I'll probably call someone at CGC so they can walk me through what the process is. LIke I said, I'm a total novice here. I did some collecting way back when, and have left these books in storage ever since.

I have first printings of most of the first TMNT comics, but the #1 is probably in the better condition (because I never even read it!). Anyway, thanks for all the info!!! (I look forward to any further advice!) smile.gif

Yeah, I'm fairly certain it is a first printing. It has the ad for....Goobledegook(can't remember name here) on the inside back cover---I've read other posts saying this is a sign of it being a first printing.

I'm assuming an 8.0 is alright? On ebay I saw a 9.4 do really well just a couple of days ago. Getting it graded is sounding like the way to go. I called CGC and they were able to explain things for me, so I'm a little less in the dark about what to do.

c