• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has collecting comics distorted your sense of monetary value?

53 posts in this topic

Joe:

This is basic (not-Matrixs) ecomomics. Only $400 have been spent of comics even though the value of the two books appears to be $600. That's a fact.

If I scribble on a piece of paper and say I will sell it to you for $1,000,000 and you do the same thing and say you will sell it to me for $1,000,000, do we really each have $1,000,000 scribble papers. NO!

You maybe be right, the comic market could crash. If I thought that every book I bought today, I could buy three years from now for half price, I wouldn't buy anymore comics today.

But comics are not cash? Is a stock certificate cash (because that's where most people's nest eggs are in).

As a long time off and on collector for 25 years, AT ALMOST ANYTIME, Comic Values seemed overpriced. This could be the one, or maybe not.

"Has collecting comics distorted your sense of monetary value?"

"Every time I think about the amount of money I'm considering spending, it makes me doubt my comic interest."

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's been having similar thoughts recently. Looking back at all the comic purchases I've made the past 3 years is kind of scary when I think about all the other things I could have bought (or invested in) instead. As a result, I've changed my whole approach to the hobby lately - I'm now just looking to buy "must-have" books...no more throwing good money after bad, paying huge multiples for 9.8s to upgrade perfectly fine 9.6s or buying random books because of the "Oh, yeah, I liked that 20 years ago, I need a CGC 9.8 copy of it today" nostalgia factor. My comic purchases by dollar volume are easily down 90-95% this year. There is more to buy and experience in life than just comics! rantpost.gif

Just my two pesos.

Gene

Simply....no.

I spend much more on comics over the last two years then I ever have but I also always pay electronically from my bank account (vs putting it on my credit card) and am always mindful of my buys. I enjoy this hobby but won't put myself in debt or put myself in a position where I can't buy something else I or my family enjoy to continue it.

You can enjoy collecting comics and be financially responsible at the same time. All it takes is restraint and a willingness to look at the comics and what contained therein vs. having a top of the line condition comic or jump into having the most desirable individual issue morass that continues to infect this hobby.

Jim

OK here's the real question.

If every comic book you ever bought, you either had to sell for the same amount or less. would you spend more, the same or less on comics?

What that scenario would inmply is that comic book values would have remain very low (i.e. maybe a AF #!15 in NM is only worth $20).

So yeah, you could afford a ton more books but they never would be considered an investment.

So what would you do?

Joe:

This is basic (not-Matrixs) ecomomics. Only $400 have been spent of comics even though the value of the two books appears to be $600. That's a fact.

Nevermind, it's quite obvious you're missing the point. Think how the IRS would see it (ie. $600 in transactions), and it should become quite clear what I'm talking about. If you really think only $400 has been spent, DO NOT open up a business. grin.gif

I'm not buying many comics now, as I'm saving up for San Diego. (Although it appears that the total I'm taking is what you guys spend on 1 comic!) However, my digital camera broke recently, and I was looking to replace it. The one I want costs about $400. I have the money, but I think, "that's $400 less I get to spend on comics." But then again, that $400 of comics not only costs me $400, but also cost me the opportunity to own a camera.

And for what? To have some printed paper sitting in a box in my closet? Why do we collect? Is it fun to think, "Now I really OWN a NM X-men 94." Do we sit around thinking how neat it is that we own something? I think I'd rather have something I can use and enjoy.

[sorry, this is me thinking outloud as I philosophize about collecting.]

Joe:

I'm a CPA so I do understand it.

Only $400 has been spent on comics. If neither person had ever bought the comics they would have a combined total of $400 to spend on something else, (not $600 which is the implied value of both books).

Here's another way to look at it:

Let's say you spent $100 on a comic 10 years ago and just sold it for $200, then subsequently bought a $600 comic.

The naive would think "wow, I only spent $400 on that comic" when in reality, they spent around $200 in adjusted (loss of investment income) equity + $400 in cash, for a grand total of $600.

Unless you found the $200 comic on the street yesterday, this has to be some adjusted equity tied up in it, and therefore has to be deducted from the sales price.

In a worst case, some sap spends $20K on a box of Valiant comics in 1992, then sells it for $200 and buys a $600 comic. If you add that transaction up to a $400 total, then turn in your CPA card. grin.gif

And for what? To have some printed paper sitting in a box in my closet? Why do we collect? Is it fun to think, "Now I really OWN a NM X-men 94." Do we sit around thinking how neat it is that we own something? I think I'd rather have something I can use and enjoy.

I'm with you 100% (and, coincidentally, I'm also in the market for a nice digital camera)...when I jumped back into collecting a few years ago, I was buying like it was going out of style. After hundreds of purchases and significantly less space in my apartment later, I reevaluated the situation. I was no longer getting much excitement adding "yet another" plastic-slabbed comic book to the hundreds I already own. I found myself with many books that I shouldn't have bought in the first place (there was too much buying first and asking questions later).

Sure, there is some pride of ownership in having a nice collection, but at some point you max out and your marginal psychic satisfaction from owning another book is not enough to outweigh the cash outflow, storage space/costs, and opportunity costs of putting your money into something else you might enjoy, but have neglected due to all your comic purchases.

Again, just my two rubles.

Gene

I found myself with many books that I shouldn't have bought in the first place (there was too much buying first and asking questions later).

I think this is an emerging trend with CGC comics, and most (rational) collectors realize they can't collect everything in CGC 9.0 and higher, and therefore must zone in on their true interests.

To me, that means 70's Byrne and some ASM's in the 121-150 range, and THAT's IT! No more, nada, sayonara, catch ya later!

I agree with that sentiment... zoning in your interests is very important. If I had unlimited funds I'd buy it all... but sadly, I have to work like the other schnooks. I have a lot of comics, but I've stopped spending a lot anymore on comics (in comparison) because like Gene, I've realized all the other great stuff I could have instead (or places to go). About 3 or 4 times a year, I'll go out and spend a decent amount of money, but I've put the local shop spending at a minimum.

I think this is an emerging trend with CGC comics, and most (rational) collectors realize they can't collect everything in CGC 9.0 and higher, and therefore must zone in on their true interests.

Yep, there's definitely the urge to buy comics that are in fashion with no regard to whether the buyer actually collects the issue. Look at DD #131. No one would pay more than $50 for a high grade copies then bang all of a sudden high grade issues sold for silly money on eBay as the movie neared. Be interesting if someone could do a census and see how many other DD issues these buyers have in their collections? I bet very few as the true DD collectors already had copies of #131 in their boxes. smirk.gif

Jim

I noted my sense of monetary value being distorted many years ago with comic books. I found myself really immersed in collection and most of my spare time was spent in reading books and magazines about collecting and almost memorizing the Overstreet guide. Started up with the old horror movie posters and the same thing.

Basically I found myself looking at just simple $100-200 books and thinking "wow, that's cheap". Because, being immersed in the market for so long, and spending most of that time in GA, constantly reading about the high prices gradually raised my baseline as far as monetary perception goes. When you are constantly reading about 4 and five (and now six) figure prices you gradually get resistant and start seeing a hundred or two as pocket change.

I guess comics have distorted my view of money, because before I got back into comics, I cared jack-squat about most material possession. I tried to be a Zen Buddhist from the ages of 17 to around 23 but eventually gave it up as a full-time philosophy because it made relating to other people quite difficult, although it did wonders for my pool game. smile.gif If anybody is familiar with Zen, it's similar to communism in that it devalues material possession, although Zen extends further than communism into the total devaluation of ALL identifiable objects or concepts in the entire universe and of course Zen is just an individual philosophy instead of a communal political idea. I just use Zen now as a tool to pull out when I need to focus on some physical task or calm myself down if I get into a stressful emotional state.

I barely spent money until I got back to comics...now the pursuit of money in my career is motivated almost entirely by the desire to grow my collection. So I guess comics have turned me into a greedy, capitalist pig overly obsessed with material possession. acclaim.gif What a great hobby!!! 27_laughing.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My brain hurts from all this "Matrix-like Economics". blush.gif

First Point: $600 changed hands for comic expenses. What X and Y do with their proceeds is irrelevant to outgoing expenses. -> You're using bronzebruce's "comic economics", where incoming revenue CANNOT EVER be used for anything but buying more comics. grin.gif

Second Point: Comics are not money, and those that can't make the distinction are in for a world of pain in the current over-hyped, movie-driven speculator fest.

Rant Mode OFF!

No... as I've said I'll take a little profit if needed..."needed" I say. At least by this method you can see I love the books more than the money... I think?

I've mentioned in another thread that I've been taking $300-$400 a month or so the past 4 months to supplement my business that has been dragging. I also once (so far) bought my wife a sapphire bracelet ($500) from the profits generated off the sales of a few Ghost Rider #1's and related books. That also helps keep the "Comic Addiction" working for the little woman... better to have her on board (for the most part). Doing so may require that you have to share the wealth a little. Plus, it feels good in a number of ways... validation and jubilation at the same time

I'm in discussions now to make a sale on 2 expensive HG dupe keys to buy my kids a pool... so I've loosened up a little. It's still >very hard< to sell a book i want to keep (like your Byrne/Austin X-Mens), but I'm making a major stride if I make this deal.

I tried to be a Zen Buddhist from the ages of 17 to around 23 but eventually gave it up as a full-time philosophy because it made relating to other people quite difficult

Ahhh...reading too many Kerouac novels, no doubt! smile.gif I went through a similar phase around the same age, but didn't get too far into it. My job (so good, I can't ever leave...the bastards!) kept me from wondering the country in search of "it".

But, you are quite right. It can be very difficult to relate to others when you take up this philosophy. Currently, I am letting my cousin stay at my house (she was in an abusive relationship and had no place to go), and she is very into the Zen lifestyle. I ask her about it, occassionally (as she will go on and on and on...), and when she speaks about it, she has a certain "holier-than-thou" attitude when discussing her preferences over the "norm". Turns alot of people off.

Chris

Currently, I am letting my cousin stay at my house (she was in an abusive relationship and had no place to go), and she is very into the Zen lifestyle. I ask her about it, occassionally (as she will go on and on and on...), and when she speaks about it, she has a certain "holier-than-thou" attitude when discussing her preferences over the "norm". Turns alot of people off.

Sounds like she's still having trouble finding enlightenment. I felt as though I had found "it" around the age of 21; I wasn't very interesting to be around for a few months back then because I spent a lot of time walking around thinking about almost nothing. Zen is a very sensual philosophy when you get the hang of it...I spent a few 2-3 day stretches on weekends and holidays thinking almost no conscious thoughts at all and just taking in the colors and shapes and people and animals around me.

...I spent a few 2-3 day stretches on weekends and holidays thinking almost no conscious thoughts at all and just taking in the colors and shapes and people and animals around me.

Oh man! That sounds like me many years ago. Although, I don't think mine was due to "enlightenment". I think mine was called an acid trip! shocked.giffrown.gif

Thank god for maturity! acclaim.gif

Chris

Probably a plasma TV is the next expenditure on my list or maybe a smaller LCD TV for the main floor wall, but definitely not some hyper-expensive "funny books".

Save your money; I've owned HDTV, plasma (very, very expensive) and since buying one of these , I now know for ergonimics, quality, and overall picture quality, nothing can come close to owning a projector. Just think of watching movies and sports with the same high res picture on your 19" monitor in 150" projection on a wall anywhere in your home!

Buying comics should be done within one means, and with moderation in mind. Otherwise, it can easily become as financially draining as any other addiction.