• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

stckwzrd1@aol.com = a crack addict?

113 posts in this topic

REALLY THEN YOU AGREE THEY OVER GRADE AND THEY ARE THE DEALERS AND THE EXPERTS OH AND THEY ARE THE CGC DEALERS AS WELL! ARE YOU SAYING ITS OK FOR THEM TO DO THIS BUT NOT YOU? AND WHY IS IT OK FOR THEM TO DO IT?

Look, the complaint here is not that you overgrade. The complaint is that you waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy overgrade. Grading is subjective to a point, but at some point it changes from subjective to deceptive. You are not just crossing that line, you are LEAPING over it.

Phil

THOSE NEGTIVES I GOT HIT WITH WAS NOT BECAUSE I DID NOT OFFER A REFUND IT WAS OFFERED WHEN THE BUYER CONTACTED ME. THE PROBLEM WAS THAT I DO NOT REFUND THE SHIPPING AND HANDLING AND THE BUYERS WANTED THAT AS WELL. THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM IS WHEN THE COMIC SELLS FOR OVER 20.00 THERE IS NEVER A ISSUE ABOUT THE S/H THE BUYER RETURNS THE COMIC I ISSUE A REFUND. THE PROBLEM IS WITH BUYERS BUYING COMICS FOR BELOW $5.00 THEY WANT THE S/H REFUNDED AND WHEN I TELL THEM S/H IS NOT REFUNDED THEN THE NEGTIVE FEEDBACK COMES OUT. SELL A 25 YEAR AMAZING SPIDERMAN FOR $1.00 AND GET NEGTIVE FEEDBACK?

R.Dog, don't misunderstand. I'm not arguing the ambiguity or subjectivity of the grading issue on this auction. I didn't defend anyone's grading or over-grading here. I was directing my observations at the open slab. I thought that it was being intimated that because he photo'ed his book in a bare CGC slab (no label, no inner sleeve, etc.), that he was "up to no good" in trying to pass it off as a CGC book. That's all. I could have cut to the chase and merely said, "Anyone who would think this book to be CGCed, with no label present, is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person", but I chose to explain my reasons why I didn't get the impression that he was trying to scam anyone into thinking it was CGCed.

You know, the entire SPIRIT of the hobby is being lost somewhere on here. It's a VERY good forum with VERY good members and posters (Shuleys too, in reality...I have NOTHING against either of them, and if I met them somewhere would be happy to buy them a drink and talk books, lifting, medicine, ...anything of keen interest that is common to the three of us, even tell Kevin's bro how he can immedietly add 25 to 50 lbs. to his bench just by technical adjustments), passionate about their hobby. Everyone wants to have their say, and be HEARD, and all do deserve to be (maybe even Joanna...after all, what the HELL do girls know about comics????smirk.gif , or anything else for that matter...oh yeah...except ONE THING laugh.gif ). Benefit of doubt and an ounce of respect. That's the two things that keeps EVERYBODY out of jail, out of ambulances, and out of the graveyard or everyone would be chasing cars that cut them off, and assaulting folks that they think "looked at them funny", when that wasn't even the case. There's plenty of time to jump to conclusions later. I, myself, like to have ALL the facts first, from BOTH sides, before I condemn something or someone. This is supposed to be a gentleman's hobby, and supposed to be fun. Some of you act as though you HATE it and use this forum as a war-horse from which upon to wage war with anyone tagged, "the enemy". I was dead wrong in doing that as I was guilty of it myself and I apologize for it. Whether it's ME or someone else, don't be so fast to hurl epithets and condemnations without knowing the whole story. And have some patience in actually getting the requested answers to your questions and digest them entirely before rendering verdicts, unless you all really don't want the answers you're asking for in the first place.

THE DEALERS OR OWNERS OF THE COMIC BOOK STORES IN THE NYC METRO AREA DO NOT STATE A GRADE THEY JUST QUOTE THE 9.4 PRICES OUT OF OVERSTREET AND WIZARD FOR ALL THERE COMICS SINCE THEY NOW HARDLY EVER PUT PRICE TAGES ON THE PLATICS THE COMICS ARE IN.

The dealers are quoting prices to you based on the fact they want to make money. Just because someone quotes you a NM price on a book, it doesn't mean that they graded it as a NM copy.

I DON'T BOTHER TALKING TO THEM ABOUT THE GRADES AND PRICING BECAUSE I HAVE GOTTEN SOME NASTY REMARKS FROM THEM WHEN I DID POINT IT OUT TO THEM INCLUDING ONE OWNER THAT TREATED ME SO RUDELY WHEN TALKING ABOUT PRICE AND GRADES THAT I KNEW HE WANTED ME TO LEAVE!

Really! I would think that you would offer them more money since you seem to overgrade everything. confused.gif Since everything is "NM" in your book their prices should fit even if it were VF copies.

REALLY THEN YOU AGREE THEY OVER GRADE AND THEY ARE THE DEALERS AND THE EXPERTS OH AND THEY ARE THE CGC DEALERS AS WELL! ARE YOU SAYING ITS OK FOR THEM TO DO THIS BUT NOT YOU? AND WHY IS IT OK FOR THEM TO DO IT? AND WHY WOULD CGC ALLOW ITS NAME TO BE USED BY THEM IF THEY DO NOT USE CGC STANDARDS WITH THERE OWN STUFF?

Dealers do overgrade their items from time to time, but nothing like you did in your auction listing. It is okay for people to overgrade a little bit (ex. VF- vs. VF+), but in your case ("9.8 NM/MT!") is just a plain joke. By the way, what standard do you use? Obviously you don't use Overstreet or the Wizard for your grading criteria.

Thank you for clarifying. Again, if you stated this refund policy in your auctions you would have better feedback (less negs). Clarity is essential so that your buyers are not surprised later on down the road.

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

Dude, there is no one that I've encountered that overgrades as badly as you do. Seriously. There are dozens of ebay dealers that I buy from on a regular basis that grade honestly, so this idea that everybody is an over-grading, lying, money-grubbing crook is pure . You overgrade like it's a contest to see how badly you can screw your customers. Your books look so bad I wouldn't take them for free. If they were VF/NM or even VF+ overgraded as NM/M I wouldn't have mentioned it on here. I actually would have laid some money down- there's great bargains to be had with people who overgrade like that. But you are taking VG to (maybe) VF- books and calling them NM/M. What's worse is- you do it all the time! You're either intentionally over-grading (which would be naughty) or you are the worst grader ever. I'll say it again- I'm amazed that you have any positive feedback at all.

From now on, when you look at a book and give it a grade- knock it down by at least 3 full points and then publish the auction. I guarantee you'll have happier customers and you can start to whittle down that 10% negative...

SO YOU MEAN WHEN A CGC COMIC BOOK DEALER HAS A HOLE IN A COMIC BOOK AND YOU BRING IT UP TO THE COUNTER TO BUY IT AND HE WHIPS OUT TH OVERSTREET AND THE WIZARD AND QUOTES THE NM 9.4 PRICE FOR A COMIC WITH A HOLE IN IT THAT HE IS NOT WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY OVERGRADING? BUT HE DOES HAVE THAT NICE CGC DEALER SIGN IN HIS WINDOW SO THAT MAKES IT OK.

Look, the complaint here is not that you overgrade. The complaint is that you waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy overgrade. Grading is subjective to a point, but at some point it changes from subjective to deceptive. You are not just crossing that line, you are LEAPING over it.

SO YOU MEAN WHEN A CGC COMIC BOOK DEALER HAS A HOLE IN A COMIC BOOK AND YOU BRING IT UP TO THE COUNTER TO BUY IT AND HE WHIPS OUT TH OVERSTREET AND THE WIZARD AND QUOTES THE NM 9.4 PRICE FOR A COMIC WITH A HOLE IN IT THAT HE IS NOT WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY OVERGRADING?

He is not grading at all. He is quoting the price he chooses to sell the book at. If I go to Kroger and buy a dozen eggs for 79 cents and they are 99 cents at A&P that does not mean A&P overgrades their eggs. It may mean A&P overcharged for the eggs but that is a different matter. You are not being questioned about your prices, you are being questioned over your GRADES.

Phil

SO YOU MEAN WHEN A CGC COMIC BOOK DEALER HAS A HOLE IN A COMIC BOOK AND YOU BRING IT UP TO THE COUNTER TO BUY IT AND HE WHIPS OUT TH OVERSTREET AND THE WIZARD AND QUOTES THE NM 9.4 PRICE FOR A COMIC WITH A HOLE IN IT THAT HE IS NOT WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY OVERGRADING? BUT HE DOES HAVE THAT NICE CGC DEALER SIGN IN HIS WINDOW SO THAT MAKES IT OK.

Are you just making up stories? What dealer? What does CGC have to do with this? What are you talking about?

THAT IS VERY INTERTESTING DEALERS CAN OVERGRADE BUT YOU CAN'T. WELL I HATE TO SPOIL THIS FOR YOU SEE I AM A DEALER TOO. I OWN A HALLMRK STORE WITH A LARGE COMIC BOOK AND BASEBALL COUNTER DISPLAY, I ALSO DEAL WITH A COUPLE OTHER COMIC BOOK DEALERS TO SELL OLD BOOKS FOR THEM IN MY STORE AND ONLINE THEY ARE VERY PLEASED WITH THE MONEY I GET THEM. I ALSO GET MY NEW COMIC BOOKS SUPPLIED TO ME FROM A COMIC BOOK STORE. ALL THOSE DAREDEVIL COMICS YOU SEE FOR AUCTION I DON'T OWN ANY OF THEM THEY ARE ON CONSIGNMENT. I WILL JUST GET A FEE AND I INTEND TO KEPT THE PERSON THAT OWNS THEM HAPPY. SO THAT MUST MAKE ME A DEALER. MAYBE I SHOULD APPLY TO CGC TO BE ONE OF THERE DEALERS THEN I CAN STATE IN MY EBAY AD'S THAT I AM A CGC DEALER AT MY STORE.

The dealers are quoting prices to you based on the fact they want to make money. Just because someone quotes you a NM price on a book, it doesn't mean that they graded it as a NM copy.

Really! I would think that you would offer them more money since you seem to overgrade everything. Since everything is "NM" in your book their prices should fit even if it were VF copies

Dealers do overgrade their items from time to time, but nothing like you did in your auction listing. It is okay for people to overgrade a little bit (ex. VF- vs. VF+), but in your case ("9.8 NM/MT!") is just a plain joke. By the way, what standard do you use? Obviously you don't use Overstreet or the Wizard for your grading criteria.

ALL THOSE DAREDEVIL COMICS YOU SEE FOR AUCTION I DON'T OWN ANY OF THEM THEY ARE ON CONSIGNMENT. I WILL JUST GET A FEE AND I INTEND TO KEPT THE PERSON THAT OWNS THEM HAPPY.

Wait a sec, let me get this straight. The Daredevil comics are on consignment & you get a cut. So by stating that they are high grade, when the scans show otherwise, you really don't care because you want to make as much money as possible for the consignor & yourself. Is this correct? Please clarify.

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

THAT IS VERY INTERTESTING DEALERS CAN OVERGRADE BUT YOU CAN'T.

You are very selective in what you reply to. The dealers you are referring to were not grading the books. They were quoting a price. The reason Rick said dealers overgrade is because there is a LITTLE leeway in grading. Everyone knows that it would not be reasonable to expect everyone to give a book the same grade. You have taken this to the extreme, you are calling books NM that could not make near mint in ANY reasonable persons mind. A dealer when selling, may look at a book and say Hmmm this could be a Fine but in a way it looks like a Fine+ so whenever there is wiggling room they will bump to the higher grade, when they are buying they will bump to the lower grade.

You have taken this to new heights though. You can take a book that looks to me to be F- and say, hmmm looks like F-, could be FN, Maybe even F+, no money in that. WOW, Look how much for NM/MT, well NM/MT it is. You just bulldozed right through the VF grades and the NM- grade and went straight to the top. It makes you look crooked.

Now, I am expecting my reply to say something like "The dealers are supposed to overgrade, but I am not? How is that fair? Just because I don't work for CGC? So let's just skip all that and please absorb some of the points in the above paragraphs.

Phil

stckwzrd1,

I'm trying to understand your point, and I may have a lead here.

Are you saying that if a dealer sells CGC books that you are thinking that, like Hallmark, they are a sanctioned dealer -- sanctioned by CGC? As if to say "I sell CGC books as an affiliate of CGC, therefore my personal grading of books is exactly to their standards"?

If this is the case (and I have no idea if this is what you are thinking, but it's one interpretation), then you're not quite understanding how CGC works. They don't sanction or affiliate dealers, like Hallmark does a store. They are just a grading company. Anyone can sell or buy a CGC book. Anyone can send a book to CGC to get graded. CGC does affiliate itself with certain dealers as a sort of 'portal'. To get a book graded, you need to send the book via one of these portal dealers. For example, Monumental Comics posts here, and he is a portal dealer. You could submit books through him. Or you can submit through ebay (they are also a portal). Does ebay sell comics? Of course not, they're an auction website. But by being a portal, they allow their members access to CGC.

If your local dealer is a portal, it doesn't mean he grades books any better or worse than most people. It just means he can get your raw books to CGC.

That said, I'd like to add two things.

1) it is a basic internet politeness never to use all caps when writing email or posting on a message board. It is considered "shouting" and is an unwelcome sight. Please, for politeness sake, use upper and lower case when posting to these boards. I thank you in advance.

2) I don't grade well. I know this. I haven't learned all the ins and outs of grading, though I am trying to. However, even though I am admittedly no expert, even I can tell that you are severely overgrading your books. 9.8 books are extremely rare, and when you see them, they appear to be about as perfect as it's possible to be. This means there can't be any folds, creases, spine ticks, color flaws, and so on. Nothing. Not a mark, not a groove, not a sign that a human has touched it. Can you honestly look at the book in your auction and tell me that all the flaws that show up in the scan simply aren't there? Of course they are. We can see it. So learn from the guys here as they talk about grading, and in the meantime, don't even give your books a grade. Describe every flaw you see, put up a clear, good scan, and let the buyer decide what the book is worth. That will give you a lot more satisfied customers.

-- Joanna

I pretty much agree. Negative feedback shouldn't be left if you request a refund and the seller grants it.

I have always adehered to that idea. That an ebay auction is not completed until all parties check in and only then should feedback be given. I was kind of trashed for that, too.

That an ebay auction is not completed until all parties check in and only then should feedback be given.

Here we go again. Once the buyer pays, the seller can expect nothing more from him. He has money, the amount he agreed to sell the item/items for. The seller should leave feedback at that time.

Once the buyer recieves the item/items he inspects them and if they are satisfactory he should leave positive feedback. If unsatisfactory, he should contact the seller and try to resolve the issue. If resolved satisfactorily he should leave positive feedback. If not resolved satisfactorily he may then at his discretion leave neutral or negative feedback.

If a seller is unwilling to leave feedback upon reciept of payment he either

1. Is doubtful about the quality of the product he auctioned off.

2. Is a crook.

or

3. Is a coward.

Your theory leaves waaay too much room for scamming sellers. For example -

1. A seller could collect the money and never send the item. The threat of negative feedback would be enough for some buyers to keep their mouths shut.

2. A seller could send a product of much lower quality than described. The buyer may keep his mouth shut for the reason above.

Ebay already gives the seller too much power, your distorted version of a proper sale gives them even more.

Phil

I am not going to even argue with this insufficiently_thoughtful_person anymore. He obviously overgrades his books (and that is an understatement). He takes every comment out of context & only reads & interprets it in his own twisted little way (like his grading of a 9.8 NM/MT).

He probably overgrades his Junk to get a higher $$$ amount on his "consignments." Plain & simply, he's just plain GREEDY. He doesn't care about customers and obviously does not care if he rips off a comic newbie, since experienced ebayers would never bid on his auctions since he has "flawless" feedback.

stckwzrd1,

read the feedback left for you (31 negatives) & learn something from it. Don't reply to this because I can't stand insufficiently_thoughtful_persons like you. mad.gif You make ebay & the comic community look BAD! mad.gif You are a disgrace of a dealer! mad.gif