• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Impact of 1 1/2" Inch Cover Tear

7 posts in this topic

It is not clear to me from the OS Grading guide where such a defect places a book.

A 1930s book in otherwise VF/NM (8.5/9.0) condition that has a 1 1/2" tear from the right side of the cover extending up and in from the outside.

How much would that drop the grade?

It is not clear to me from the OS Grading guide where such a defect places a book.

A 1930s book in otherwise VF/NM (8.5/9.0) condition that has a 1 1/2" tear from the right side of the cover extending up and in from the outside.

How much would that drop the grade?

That book has alot of pages with nice pictures but not enough explanations on specifics. I read it all of the time and if CGC actually used that book it would change the grading entirely. You would definitely be in the7.0/ 7.5 range at a minimum. It depends on how well they can hide the tear. If it is more obvious it could drop lower.

There's no "formula" for this kind of defect that I know of...but if I were selling the book, I'd probably call it 6.5 to really be conservative. Even a crease that long would probably drop the book to 7.0 at best, and I think most would agree that a tear is worse than a crease.

I had a smilar problem last year with a Godzilla #1 (35 cent variant) that was 9.2-9.4 except for a 1/2 inch tear on the FC 2 inches from the spine. It came back 8.0. I asked about the graders notes and the only 2 things the grader observed were the tear and some very minor blunting to the bottom outside corner. I would imagine the biggest hit to the book was the tear since I have seen many 9.2-9.4 books with minor blunting to one corner if that was the only damage to the book. That was for a 1/2 inch tear that you could hardly tell was there.