• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NPR Segment: Comics Creators Search for 'Super Hero' Alternative

4 posts in this topic

Listen to broadcast

All Things Considered, March 27, 2006 ·

The phrase "Super Hero" is jointly trademarked by Marvel and DC Comics, so independent comic book creators are out of luck if they want to use the term. But how can a hero be impressive if he or she is not allowed to be super?

This segment discusses how Marvel and DC forced an independent company to drop the word "superhero" from the title of its forthcoming tv show/comic book because of alleged trademark infringement.

I'm off to AZ for the rest of the week to defend a DoD contractor's security clearance so talk amongst yourselves!

hi.gif

Listen to broadcast

All Things Considered, March 27, 2006 ·

The phrase "Super Hero" is jointly trademarked by Marvel and DC Comics, so independent comic book creators are out of luck if they want to use the term. But how can a hero be impressive if he or she is not allowed to be super?

This segment discusses how Marvel and DC forced an independent company to drop the word "superhero" from the title of its forthcoming tv show/comic book because of alleged trademark infringement.

I'm off to AZ for the rest of the week to defend a DoD contractor's security clearance so talk amongst yourselves!

hi.gif

I heard this segment driving in the car yesterday. Actually, the restriction apparently is limited to useage of the word on the cover or in the title of a publication, and the phrase "superhero" can by used "in passing". But not part of a title. The segment mentioned that Marvel & DC were able to get away with this because of their large teams of trademark lawyers and because of an indifferent judicial system. The publisher of the book and cartoon (Superhero Happy Hour) was actually pleased at all the attention the case brought to his work. It was a pretty interesting segment.

Here's a link to the audio file of the story.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5304264

SuperHero Happy Hour is the publication that was forced to change it's name.

this is also the reason Alan Moore - and others maybe, i don't honestly know - calls his characters in aggregate "science heroes."

just in case anyone was wondering

I did not know this. And now that I know it, I think it's stupid.

If you want to trademark super hero then create a character and name him Super Hero Dude.

Maybe they'd like to trademark the term comic book, and graphic novel.

Maybe I should trademark "trade paperback". Or just go for it all and trademark "trademark".

Marvel & DC were able to get away with this because of their large teams of trademark lawyers and because of an indifferent judicial system.
Monopoly +Arrogance