• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SILVER AGE COVER WINNERS # 2 and # 1

51 posts in this topic

No question, Buscema's rendering of Thor atop the Rainbow Bridge about to be attacked by the Surfer is beautiful. To me it just lacks originality. The Surfer attacking a beloved Superhero? FF55 was first. The Surfer sweeping down from the sky? FF50 and 55 were first. Tension? Yes for both covers in their storytelling - the potential comic buyer is made to wonder why these heroes are doing battle, and what will be the outcome.

Just as I didn't vote for the beautifully rendered but highly derivative winner of the Bronze contest, I prefer Silver Age originals that are either unique or trend-setting:

Spidey 28? Singular use of background color to camouflage the lead hero.

FF55? First time a hero is attacked by the Surfer.

Thor127? Thor looks for all intents and purposes to be dead, and his allegedly all-powerful father is helpless.

Hulk Annual 1? The title logo becomes an essential part of the superhero rendering.

Nick Fury 7? Time and space are warped.

FF51? The seeming invincible hero is exposed as an inner-conflicted freak.

Dr. Solar 2? There's a man surviving, arms raised, in the middle of an atomic explosion. The cover appears to be torn, with the artwork emerging from inside the book.

It's all a matter of taste.

You know, after hearing about it so many times, i have to ask 'cause i don't see it....what traits do FF #55 and SS #4 share? There is no connection AT ALL except that they both have SS on the cover confused-smiley-013.gif

Although FF #55 is a cool cover, it comes no where near the drama and tension of SS #4. Look at Thor and SS...every important muscle is tense. SS's finger tips are loose and graceful. Thor's cape is flowing in the Asgardian Wind. And like someone earlier said...the expectation of the impact that is coming is just mind blowing....not really pimping this cover as everyone has their own tastes, but just sharing what i see.

Absolutely. It is the drama and tension in SS4 that really makes it stand out. There is no other battle cover that holds a candle to the power of this one. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's all a matter of taste.

Definitely, and that FF 51 cover was not even featuring the actual Thing, and as covered many times before, the "characters interacting with the logos" goes back further than that Hulk cover.

And don't you think "first time a hero is attacked by the Surfer" is stretching it a tad? Using that criteria, virtually everything is "unique or trend-setting".

And yes, to all you people that are stating SS 4 is a rip-off of FF 55.. screwy.gif

Seriously folks, get a grip.

You know, after hearing about it so many times, i have to ask 'cause i don't see it....what traits do FF #55 and SS #4 share? There is no connection AT ALL except that they both have SS on the cover confused-smiley-013.gif

Although FF #55 is a cool cover, it comes no where near the drama and tension of SS #4. Look at Thor and SS...every important muscle is tense. SS's finger tips are loose and graceful. Thor's cape is flowing in the Asgardian Wind. And like someone earlier said...the expectation of the impact that is coming is just mind blowing....not really pimping this cover as everyone has their own tastes, but just sharing what i see.

Absolutely. It is the drama and tension in SS4 that really makes it stand out. There is no other battle cover that holds a candle to the power of this one. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Has there ever been a "Greatest Covers Of All Time" thread? I think that would be a great idea...covering all eras. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I think it's safe to say that SS #4 would be very hi on the list...it has the "magic"

Has there ever been a "Greatest Covers Of All Time" thread? I think that would be a great idea...covering all eras. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I think it's safe to say that SS #4 would be very hi on the list...it has the "magic"

thumbsup2.gif and thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

got a link?

There hasn't been a thread to my knowledge, and I was agreeing with you that there should be! tongue.gif

Once we have contests for all the eras, then we could pit the top ten from each era against each other. At this point, bronze and silver are done. Once modern, copper, and golden are done, then it could be undertaken. Otherwise, there would be far too many covers involved. Even in Silver Age there were tons of covers (243 nominated) and even covers were still left out that some thought should be inlcuded. Just a thought.

got a link?

There hasn't been a thread to my knowledge, and I was agreeing with you that there should be! tongue.gif

Once we have contests for all the eras, then we could pit the top ten from each era against each other. At this point, bronze and silver are done. Once modern, copper, and golden are done, then it could be undertaken. Otherwise, there would be far too many covers involved. Even in Silver Age there were tons of covers (243 nominated) and even covers were still left out that some thought should be inlcuded. Just a thought.

Great idea!

got a link?

That makes a lot of sense!

The Copper Age poll will hopefully be happening very soon... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The Copper Age poll will hopefully be happening very soon... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's going to be a tough one. Although there were many great covers in the SA, the number of exceptional covers in the CA is really mind boggling.

That's going to be a tough one. Although there were many great covers in the SA, the number of exceptional covers in the CA is really mind boggling.

More than 243 nominations?

A suggestion would be for people to nominate between 3 and 5 each. Probably 50 - 100 people will participate and a lot of nominations will be duplicated for obvious reasons. 80 voted in bronze age and 62 in silver. I really don't think it will be much bigger than the silver or bronze contests. I think more people were involved in the bronze contest cause there was more advertising for it outside the bronze forum. If we had done that for silver, a lot more people would stop over from bronze, gold, and comics general. Just speculation on my part, for what it's worth.

I'm looking forward to the Copper Poll. Isn't it about to begin? I haven't heard anything for a while.

We were waiting for the SA poll to finish and the dust to settle. Another week or so I figure. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think more people were involved in the bronze contest cause there was more advertising for it outside the bronze forum. If we had done that for silver, a lot more people would stop over from bronze, gold, and comics general.

Yep, but then that mongoIoid Supergirl cover would never have made it. thumbsup2.gif