• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectors, are they swayed by the masses.

63 posts in this topic

The most important factor in judging restoration efforts is the motivation behind it. This will, I think be the course the field will follow if and when restoration slowly gains some acceptance. If the work was done to strenghten an aging book so it may survive another few decades, okay (at some point). But a color touch or other attempts to "fix" a problem; or a Frankenstein painted cover, pieces added, etc should still be frowned upon.

I agree. So wouldn't you agree with the thread subject, that "collectors are swayed by the masses"? Currently, the vast majority of the market doesn't appear to differentiate the motivations behind or methods used to restore or conserve a book...it's all lumped into a generic "restoration means headaches and investment risk" category that the majority stays away from right now.

I mentioned the scribbling on the cover. I for one would consider it a defect. Arrival dates maybe not.

But the real question was, are the mass swayed. And the absolute answer is YES.

As I have stated several times. A VF book that was color touched 30 years ago, goes for around the VG/FN price.

Now on a absolute scale, if you considered the color touch a defect (forget the word restoration for a minute) and this color touch was a total 1/16 inch by 1/16 inch and you had a color flake the exact same size, which is preferable? At this point, the color flake by a large margin. Why, I don't know.

If this was an antique piece of furniture and it was perfect except there was a tiny little wood fill, should that piece of furniture be worth the same amount as an unrestored badly scratched piece of furniture. I think not! But if it's a comic book, they are now valued the same.

Once again, I not talking about "rebuilt" books.

If CGC from day one said that a VF+ book with a small color touch is now a "Universal" VF (because they consider the color touch a defect), I bet slightly restored books would be much more accepted.

Just my thoughts.